XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

"Why do you do that?"

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 04:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 470 Likes on 352 Posts
Default "Why do you do that?"

"Why do you do all that?" was the question I was asked yesterday by my neighbour's brother.

I was loading the boot of my XJ with some tools and equipment in readiness for some work I'm going to be doing on her up at my parent's house on Tuesday, when he pulled up in his nearly new KIA SUV. This guy is a bit full of himself, and as he climbed out of his loser cruiser and began to swagger over to their house he was looking at my XJ. I was hoping he'd just go in the house, but he couldn't help himself saying something.

"What are you doing now?" he asked with a hint of condescension in his voice.
"Loading some gear into the car for some jobs I'm doing on it next week at my parent's house." I replied.
He looked at the boot full of kit and said "Why do you do all that work on a 14 year old car, when you can have a brand new one on finance?" again, condescendingly.
Looking him straight in the eye I said "Because for one thing I actually own this car, I'm not hiring it from a dealer like you. Secondly, this car will probably increase in value in the next 14 years whereas your soft roader never will and thirdly, because I like it!"
With that his face contorted and he went into his sister's house.

But it got me thinking about what motivates me to do things on my car. I've always felt that certain vehicles have a personality, a soul if you will. They have a way of getting under your skin, and making you want to look after them. That's why I didn't like the Saab I had, it didn't have soul. I looked at a couple of different X308's before I bought my current one, and none of them leaped out at me. But when I saw this one, I just had to have it. She had dings, dents and scratches. The interior was dirty and headliner saggy. The alloys were badly painted and chipped. But she spoke to me, and I knew I could save her. Now, almost 11 months since I bought her she's sat out front under her cover but looking brand new.

So why do I do it? Because to me it's worth it. When I've done a job on the car and improved her in some way, it makes me happy. To go out there amongst all the folks in their pretend SUV's, MPV's and various crossovers, and have all eyes on the "old Jag" slinking along the road tells me both myself and Jaguar have done a good job.

So what about you? What is your motivation?

The following 8 users liked this post by Stu 1986:
Daim (04-23-2017), Don B (04-23-2017), earny (05-02-2017), ericjansen (04-23-2017), grandell (04-23-2017), harvest14 (04-23-2017), motorcarman (04-23-2017), xjay8 (04-23-2017) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-23-2017, 04:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

Why do I do it? Easy answer: Because I can!

Why am I restoring an XJ-S V12? Because I can and want to.
Why do I drive a tatty XJ8? Because I can and want to.

I have had a new car (brand new Volvo C30). It was good for 7 years of troublefree motoring. I had fun driving it. It had a lack of something: personality. It was as "dry" and "humourless" as a German car, with the precision and safety of the Swedes... Even though it was made in Belgium. In the end I got bored of it. It would just always work. Sounds weird, but it was TOO reliable.

My Jags both have their issues and niggles but they are personalities. And that is why I don't even bother justifing anymore.

"Why? Why bother asking me why? You won't understand the joy of driving an older Jaguar!"

The following 3 users liked this post by Daim:
Don B (04-23-2017), Doug (04-23-2017), Stu 1986 (04-23-2017)
Old 04-23-2017, 07:35 AM
Received 88 Likes on 64 Posts

I get asked all the time why do you own 3 jaguars, my answer is because I can. I love to drive them plus there are one of the best looking cars on the road jrb53

The following 2 users liked this post by jrb53:
Don B (04-23-2017), Stu 1986 (04-23-2017)
Old 04-23-2017, 07:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,351 Likes on 926 Posts

It is not because I can, cause I can own any other car as well ...

It is just like Stu said; the personality, the soul, the look.

The XJ8 got it for years already, the XJ-S is still in the process of slowly growing.
Both are cars I can stare at for hours, always seeing something new.
Both are cars I will glans at if I pass them, riding my scooter in or out the parking.

The following 2 users liked this post by ericjansen:
Don B (04-23-2017), Stu 1986 (04-23-2017)
Old 04-23-2017, 08:16 AM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

When I was in my late teens I bought a 'tired' 6 year old 1966 E-Type. I could afford to buy it but not maintain it at the dealer. I read the repair manual and started fixing everything worn/broken.

I had a 1958 VW Beetle to get to work and back so I actually enjoyed fixing the broken Jaguar. When something else broke, I was glad to have another challenge.

I had a BSA Motorcycle, a few MGs and a Triumph TR4A but the Jaguars just kept coming one after another. I started fixing other peoples Jaguars and so my mechanical career started.

I have made a good living at repairing Vws and Jaguars. It all grew from my love of British cars and lack of finance in my younger days.

bob

The following 4 users liked this post by motorcarman:
Don B (04-23-2017), Doug (04-23-2017), JagV8 (04-24-2017), Stu 1986 (04-23-2017)
Old 04-23-2017, 08:56 AM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Talking WHY?

I get asked this a lot, although it seems to me that there is always a bit of envy behind the question. I guess I do it for therapy, thrill, and mental and physical fitness. But mainly I do it for a love of the cars, and real honest-to-God driving vs. merely riding in a state of oblivion.

I feel lucky to get to do this with my '99 XJ8 (my most recent), as well as my '97 BMW 328iC, and my 2000 MB SLK230. Just saying this seems like boasting, and I quite often catch grief from my (fellow) geezer friends for such "extravagant" cars. And, well, they look, sound, and drive like extravagant cars, BUT combined they cost me less than half the price of a late model Honda Civic! I have given up trying to explain/justify this, since I have learned that anyone who would not want to be elbow deep in grease underneath one of these "extravagant" cars at 1:00 a.m. would not understand anyway!

My therapy comes from being completely absorbed in the work (play) I do on my cars, usually losing track of time, and often forgetting to eat. No stress. No outside pressures or negative vibes. Just me, the car, the parts, the tools, and often the applicable forum or repair manual up on the laptop. My wife is kind and understanding enough to remind me of other issues when necessary.

The mental and physical fitness are inevitable results of the efforts. I have several college degrees, but I am always amazed by how much sheer thinking goes into a successful repair/upgrade, and how ugly things can get if one becomes mentally lazy in the process. Having just replaced all four shocks on my XJ8, I can attest to the physical fitness aspect of our hobby as well! I can say, without hubris, that there are no other guys in my peer group (ages 65+) who I know that could have done this. Having hot tub hydrotherapy helps!

The thrills come from successfully completing the repair/project, and enjoying the results. There is just something special about having one's car largely disassembled, getting it back together, and (admittedly with some trepidation and holding of breath) turning the key and getting that wonderful, musical growl coming back to your ears. What a rush! Anyone who has not experienced this simply cannot appreciate it. Finally, the thrill of pulling the shining, growling, "extravagant" beast out onto the highway and actually driving it through the curves and up and down the hills (maybe even slightly exceeding the speed limit?) and appreciating the value of the work you have just completed, is unmatched. Okay, so one does tend to draw a few stares from the frugal and pragmatic Civic, Prius, etc. crowd.

So, this is why I do it. I think there is some Zen in there somewhere. I know there is a lot of fun!

The following 4 users liked this post by CarGuy:
Don B (04-23-2017), Doug (04-23-2017), harvest14 (04-23-2017), Stu 1986 (04-23-2017)
Old 04-23-2017, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,748 Likes on 7,099 Posts

I've always enjoyed repairing and maintaining cars and get particular satisfaction from keeping an *older model* in good running order and looking sharp. Even my prosaic 1995 Honda gets appropriate love, and will hit 300k miles soon...probably by the end of this year. A bit of a milestone for me. There's satisfaction in that, I think. People who ask "Why?" just don't understand. That's not a criticism of them. They're just on a different page.

I've often need a pickup truck from my work duties. My employer has umpteen pickups, all late model, highly optioned models. However, I use the cast-off 1995 Ford F250..... which is in stunningly good condition for its age. I take special pleasure *keeping it* that way. My employer used to say "Doug, you can use any truck you want. Take your pick. You don't have to use that old relic". But, when I explained my motivation he understood. He has never complained about the amounts of (his) money I spend on it. I think he sorta likes that I baby it....as opposed to abusing and neglecting it because it's "just a company truck". After all, prior to my tenure, *somebody* went thru a lot of effort to keep it in such great shape. It would be an absolute crime for me to abuse it now, right?

As for Jaguars, well, I always admired them but was afraid of them. Twenty years ago I took the plunge, and regret not having taken it much sooner. As it turns out, they're a very good hobby car for a DIYer, as you can run one for surprisingly small money...as hobby cars go. This is particularly appreciated after having been priced out of the muscle car hobby.....which I got out of the raise a family and then simply couldn't afford to get back into.

Enough for now. I could ramble on forever.

Cheers
DD

The following 3 users liked this post by Doug:
CarGuy (04-23-2017), Don B (04-23-2017), Stu 1986 (04-23-2017)
Old 04-23-2017, 10:23 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Daim
I have had a new car (brand new Volvo C30). It was good for 7 years of troublefree motoring. I had fun driving it. It had a lack of something: personality. It was as "dry" and "humourless" as a German car, with the precision and safety of the Swedes... Even though it was made in Belgium. In the end I got bored of it. It would just always work. Sounds weird, but it was TOO reliable.

I get it, I get it !

BTW, a few years ago I rented a new Volvo C60 for a week. Perfectly satisfactory and capable car; lots of positives about it. But it simply wasn't the car for me. Too sterile.

My Jags both have their issues and niggles but they are personalities. And that is why I don't even bother justifing anymore.

"Why? Why bother asking me why? You won't understand the joy of driving an older Jaguar!"

I toss 'em the keys and say "Drive it, then you'll know why". Nobody ever does. They always demure. They think Jaguars are made of glass or something, I guess.

Cheers
DD

The following 3 users liked this post by Doug:
CarGuy (04-23-2017), Daim (04-23-2017), Don B (04-23-2017)
Old 04-23-2017, 10:24 AM
Received 100 Likes on 75 Posts

I agree with all of the above but I am stuck on your reference to "soul". Every time I sit in the Jag its soul permeates me and every time I drive my MG Midget I feel connected and part of the car.

I bought a Focus ST a couple months ago because our household VW suv's (Tiguan and Touareg) bore me and having a spirited daily reliable driver seemed to be a good choice. (FYI couldn't keep my hands off the ST is now tuned/modded to 380ft lb tq @ 24psi, yes its a bit nutty)

Long story short... I purchased,started building, and soon will be finished building an 86 GTI VR6 swap to be my daily driver. Why would I shed such a great up to date car like the ST? Soul soul and soul, it has it, but its not the same. Like CarGuy said, there's something about older cars and there is something about having gotten your hands dirty keeping it going. Great feelings all around.

The delicious icing on the cake is that the household car "equilibrium" has swung, and since I have the GTI my wife gets to fill a spot with what she prefers after losing the ST. I wasn't unhappy when she told me we are going to be shopping for an X150 XKR in the upcoming months Its newer, but I can dig the "soul", meanwhile while she cruises in that, I will be all smiles driving my 19yo Jag, 30yo dub, and 40yo MG (oh yeah, 50yo Sunbeam too) Life is too short to drive boring cars anyhow, keep em on the road!

The following 3 users liked this post by greverrr:
Old 04-23-2017, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by greverrr
I agree with all of the above but I am stuck on your reference to "soul". Every time I sit in the Jag its soul permeates me and every time I drive my MG Midget I feel connected and part of the car.
I had an MG Midget for a few years, many years ago. My (now adult) kids still won't forgive me for selling it. They grinned, giggled, and squealed whenever we went for a ride.

Had an MGB/GT, too. I taught the kids to shift the gears while I drove. Soon enough they knew what gear to select without my intervention and became quite good at it....and even learned perfect timing on double-clutched downshifts. Silly, I guess, but fun at the time.

Thanks for letting me stroll down memory lane

Cheers
DD

Last edited by Doug; 04-23-2017 at 11:10 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Don B (04-23-2017)
Old 04-23-2017, 11:06 AM
Received 100 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
Thanks for letting me stroll down memory lane

DD
My pleasure!

Last edited by greverrr; 04-23-2017 at 11:08 AM.
Old 04-23-2017, 11:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 77 Likes on 70 Posts

The irony is, I'm constantly wondering why anyone would want the "loser cruiser" when they can own a jag for the cost of one year of their lease payments?

​​​​​For the life of me, I don't get why anyone would want the most popular new cars in America (accord, camry, etc.) when for MUCH less money they can have an older top of the line luxury land yacht, if not the jag then an older BMW 7, S-class, A8, Maserati 4porte, range Rover, etc. Maintenence is annoying, but not really costly relative to the cost of depreciation in any new subcompact $30k car.

Last edited by vdpnyc; 04-23-2017 at 11:19 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by vdpnyc:
Old 04-23-2017, 11:18 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by vdpnyc
The irony is, I'm constantly wondering why anyone would want the "loser cruiser" when they can own a jag for the cost of one year of their lease payments?

​​​​​

Many reasons, I reckon.

But, let's face it, Jaguars are not for everyone. I could never afford to drive Jags were it not for DIY repairs. No way, no how.

Cheers
DD

The following 2 users liked this post by Doug:
Daim (04-23-2017), Don B (04-23-2017)
Old 04-23-2017, 12:46 PM
Received 66 Likes on 36 Posts

I don't have any gearhead friends except for the friends I have made in this forum. I am quite sure they all think I am crazy. When I bought my car in November 2015 I saw her potential, I had a vision of what she could become with love and attention. I make good money but am not independently rich and my only child is in college and always needing money. I knew it would take time and patience as the disposable income was not available all at once. With the help of a forum member I have slowly tackled every one of her mechanical issues and now working on the cosmetics. Watching her come back to her like new glory is pure fun for me! The satisfaction of a job done right is priceless. Whenever I try and talk about whatever the latest thing I have done to my Jag my local friends just nod their head and quickly change the subject. I am not trying to "brag" about having a Jag I am just wanting to talk to someone about my passion of restoring one. I definitely feel a soul connection to my Jag that I have never felt with another vehicle. I have named her and even talk to her. I often times say out loud as I get to my destination and turn off the key "Thank you Jackie" as I caress her wooden stearing wheel. She got me to where I was going in pure luxury, class and a sublime driving experience.

The following 4 users liked this post by Jennifer S Flavell:
CarGuy (04-23-2017), Don B (04-23-2017), ericjansen (04-23-2017), Stu 1986 (04-23-2017)
Old 04-23-2017, 01:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 254 Posts

What a great idea for a thread, good job Stu!

There are two or three people I can think of who have that judgmental reaction when they see me taking care of my car. I am a manager in the rental car business and drive new cars all the time, none of them are as fun to drive as my 15 year old XJR. The only one that comes "close" so far is the Infiniti Q50 sedan and Q60 coupe. I am impressed with them, but they still don't feel like an "occasion" when you drive them somewhere. They are just comfortable and fast. We even have the 2017 Jaguar XE in our fleet; it pales in comparison to driving my 2002 XJR.

My wife and I were reading this thread together earlier and post #6 (CarGuy) resonated with my wife. As she was reading it she kept saying "that's you!, that's you!" haha. Especially the therapy aspect of it, and she's always giving me grief because I may go a whole day working on the car and never remember to eat anything!

I almost didn't post here because CarGuy pretty much encapsulated my views and experiences exactly, but I couldn't resist another opportunity to talk/type about my beloved hobby.

The following 4 users liked this post by harvest14:
CarGuy (04-23-2017), Don B (04-23-2017), ericjansen (04-23-2017), Stu 1986 (04-23-2017)
Old 04-23-2017, 05:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 487 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
I toss 'em the keys and say "Drive it, then you'll know why".
This is pretty much it. After I test drove a '98 XJR I had to get one... It was a bit smaller inside and less practical than I was originally planning, but it's all so worth it. People who have driven it, even non "car people", always say the same thing. The repairs can be a pain, but it's really satisfying to drive it afterwards and think "I didn't realize it would be that much better than it was before" and slowly approach that magic carpet ride quality.

I can also drive for an hour and it doesn't hurt my back. I'd have thought I'd be too young to be worrying about that, but there it is. Can't really say that about many cars I've sat in, even the modern econoboxes...

The following 2 users liked this post by nilanium:
Don B (04-23-2017), Doug (04-23-2017)
Old 04-23-2017, 05:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 470 Likes on 352 Posts

Some interesting responses to this thread, I share a lot of the thoughts presented.

Originally Posted by Daim
In the end I got bored of it. It would just always work. Sounds weird, but it was TOO reliable.
Indeed, that was the problem with the Saab it was too reliable. GM sourced parts and opel/vauxhall gearbox made it sound pathetic too.

Originally Posted by CarGuy
I get asked this a lot, although it seems to me that there is always a bit of envy behind the question. I guess I do it for therapy, thrill, and mental and physical fitness.

I have given up trying to explain/justify this, since I have learned that anyone who would not want to be elbow deep in grease underneath one of these "extravagant" cars at 1:00 a.m. would not understand anyway!

My therapy comes from being completely absorbed in the work (play) I do on my cars, usually losing track of time, and often forgetting to eat. No stress. No outside pressures or negative vibes. Just me, the car, the parts, the tools, and often the applicable forum or repair manual up on the laptop. My wife is kind and understanding enough to remind me of other issues when necessary.

The mental and physical fitness are inevitable results of the efforts. I have several college degrees, but I am always amazed by how much sheer thinking goes into a successful repair/upgrade, and how ugly things can get if one becomes mentally lazy in the process.

The thrills come from successfully completing the repair/project, and enjoying the results. There is just something special about having one's car largely disassembled, getting it back together, and (admittedly with some trepidation and holding of breath) turning the key and getting that wonderful, musical growl coming back to your ears. What a rush! Anyone who has not experienced this simply cannot appreciate it.
These extracts I agree with, I've been outside working on cars and not eaten or drunk anything until I'm forced to. But it's all worth it. Definitely therapeutic.

Originally Posted by Jennifer S Flavell
I saw her potential, I had a vision of what she could become with love and attention.
Watching her come back to her like new glory is pure fun for me! The satisfaction of a job done right is priceless.
I have named her and even talk to her.
Don't worry, I name every vehicle I have, have had or am given custody of at work. Mine is Jessie Jag, but I've also got Christine and Pluckster. I've yet to decide on a name for the Audi, it's not been with me long enough.

Today at work, a colleague who lives near me asked why I keep my Jag under the cover, when it's sunny outside. His face was priceless when I told him it was because it was sunny outside. He isn't a car person, but I know all of you understand my response.

Keep the stories coming, it's interesting to learn about our motivations.

Don B (04-23-2017)
Old 04-23-2017, 06:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 475 Likes on 311 Posts

A real car person, who is enthusiastic about any make of car, already understands. To the person that sees a car is only an appliance, they will never understand. I generally prefer cars that have something special, are interesting, impressed me when I was young, or were originally priced too high for me to have ever afforded new. It does irk me that many people only value a new vehicle when it can stroke their ego, when it has served it's purpose it is cast aside for an up to date, fashionable replacement. Yeah I do believe that some cars have a soul, it is an extension of the spirit of the men who built it. It is like the relationship between a musician and his instrument that combine into an enchanting melody. The car can be a means of expression and a way to express the feelings and hopes of the owner. I know that sounds pretty lyrical and kind of mystical. I once read that old car ownership, stewardship really, is more that just the possession of a thing. It is a commitment, a hopeful journey, an adventure, and ultimately a romance. Well, You asked!

Read this book and get back to me.

The following 2 users liked this post by Rivguy:
Don B (04-23-2017), Doug (04-23-2017)
Old 04-23-2017, 07:12 PM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Nailed It!

Originally Posted by Rivguy
A real car person, who is enthusiastic about any make of car, already understands. To the person that sees a car is only an appliance, they will never understand. I generally prefer cars that have something special, are interesting, impressed me when I was young, or were originally priced too high for me to have ever afforded new. It does irk me that many people only value a new vehicle when it can stroke their ego, when it has served it's purpose it is cast aside for an up to date, fashionable replacement. Yeah I do believe that some cars have a soul, it is an extension of the spirit of the men who built it. It is like the relationship between a musician and his instrument that combine into an enchanting melody. The car can be a means of expression and a way to express the feelings and hopes of the owner. I know that sounds pretty lyrical and kind of mystical. I once read that old car ownership, stewardship really, is more that just the possession of a thing. It is a commitment, a hopeful journey, an adventure, and ultimately a romance. Well, You asked!
Yep! You absolutely nailed the Zen part that I know is there but could not express. Very poetic, actually. I have sometimes wondered if brain scans of car lovers would light-up pleasure or cognition areas common to our "special" breed apart! My adult kids don't get it, despite my best efforts. I get the same apathetic response to "drive it!" that others have gotten. That apathy I really don't understand. You invite me to drive something, I don't care if it is a lawn tractor, I am ON it, and good luck getting me off! My kids are looking for "connectivity" and nanny techno features. I am working hard on my grandkids, and so far have made some progress. It won't be long and we will have to form special interest groups to protect our "right" to drive - sort of an NRA for car lovers. Driverless cars are going to be the most disruptive technology since the discovery of fire.

Last edited by Don B; 04-23-2017 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Repaired quotation
Don B (04-23-2017)
Old 04-23-2017, 07:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 475 Likes on 311 Posts

I knew that you guys would understand. Who says that men never discuss their feelings?

The following 3 users liked this post by Rivguy:
Don B (04-23-2017), ericjansen (04-23-2017), harvest14 (04-23-2017)