XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

X308 side markers/indicators

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 08:57 AM
Received 137 Likes on 87 Posts
Default X308 side markers/indicators

CONVERTING SIDE REFLECTORS TO EXTRA INDICATORS

Most of us are probably aware that in the North American market (and possibly others) the oval reflectors on the front and rear bumpers of our cars serve also as 'side markers' - red to the rear and amber at front. I think I'm correct in saying that they are illuminated together with the side lights (?). There are differing opinions in the USA as to whether they serve any useful purpose. However, I am a great believer that if one driver sees the presence of your car due to additional lights, its got to be a good thing. In the UK the hole for the bulb holder isn't present (see attached picture) its just flat plastic. Also shown is the USA front side marker/bulb holder.
I'm uncertain as to the legalities of side markers in the UK but I know that its quite legal to add repeater indicators, so decided to convert the oval reflectors into reflectors/indicators. I could've bought a pair of USA spec front refelctors/side markers (LNC5030/31AB) but as these are £17 each plus VAT I decided to investigate converting my current reflectors. I purchased four T10 bulb holders off Ebay (£4 total with free postage) and carefully marked and drilled a hole in the raised section (see photo attached). Using a small needle file I then made two 'ears' so that the bulb holder would push in and twist. The bulbs required are normal 5W T10 which push into the holder (same as the USA side marker ones). I've yet to connect and extend the wiring to mate up with the front/rear indicators, but don't envisage and problems (once the weathers better !!). I know our cars already have front repeaters on the front wings but it's the rear side ones which will improve safety. For once, a simple, quick job which may prevent someone side-swiping your car. Good luck if you decide to do the same !

Attached Thumbnails X308 side markers/indicators-img_1475.jpg   X308 side markers/indicators-img_1476.jpg   X308 side markers/indicators-img_1477.jpg   X308 side markers/indicators-img_1479.jpg   X308 side markers/indicators-img_1480.jpg  

Old 02-09-2016, 09:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,771 Likes on 1,304 Posts

Looks like a rather worthy effort CaptainQ, be sure to solder and use heat shrink to prevent corrosion....or you'll be chasing shorts like crazy.

Last edited by Highhorse; 02-09-2016 at 09:06 PM.
Old 02-10-2016, 04:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,352 Likes on 927 Posts

I am not a fan of these lights on many US cars, but I think they look great on the x308.
The US version comes on on the first notch, together with the city lights (inner fronts), the rears and the licence plate lighting.
Nice modification!

Old 02-10-2016, 07:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

I like 'em so much, that I fitted them to my XJ even though they weren't made for them!

Old 02-10-2016, 02:59 PM

I must agree with 'Highorses' comment, especially with our rubbish weather and salty winter roads in the UK. I'm going to connect using waterproof 2-pin connectors (that will also make it easier when/if I ever need to remove bumper or reflector/side marker.

Old 02-10-2016, 06:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,352 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainQ
I've yet to connect and extend the wiring to mate up with the front/rear indicators...
By the way, if you are intending to use them as indicators, I am sure you will need something stronger then the 5W from the standard side lights.
The 5W's are not really visible in clear daylight.
Perhaps some LED's will do.

Old 02-11-2016, 04:28 AM

Good point 'ericjansen'. I think I'll try the 5W first (same as existing side indicator repeaters) - I take your point though about brightness - I know you can get 21W versions of these T10 bulbs so that option is always there. At some point I may invest in the brighter led bulbs all round anyway - as I said in my original post, I'm all for being seen if it avoids a collision. Thank you for your interest.

Old 02-11-2016, 06:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 318 Posts

Good point 'ericjansen'. I think I'll try the 5W first (same as existing side indicator repeaters) - I take your point though about brightness - I know you can get 21W versions of these T10 bulbs so that option is always there. At some point I may invest in the brighter led bulbs all round anyway - as I said in my original post, I'm all for being seen if it avoids a collision. Thank you for your interest.

Be careful about how bright you go, there are laws about how bright lights can be on different areas of motor vehicles in the UK!

Don't know for sure, but, why are side repeater lights, even down the sides of lorries only 5w? when front or rear indicators are 21w?

Maybe do some research so you do not fall foul of the law.

Old 02-11-2016, 06:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 296 Posts

The bumper ovals are side marker lights -- they go on with the "parking lights" ... although we don't use lights for parking in the USA.

The USA originally did not require them to light up. European cars exported to the USA starting around 1968 would have reflectors installed -- this changed around 1970 to require them to light up.

I like the fender turn signal lights of the X300 -- Jaguar should have continued them on the X308. I loved my Saabs for the center markers and cornering lights.

Old 02-11-2016, 03:51 PM

Further to Andrew's comment regarding 21W bulbs front/rear and 5W at sides - I suppose its to do with the size of the lense and the light dispersal over a larger area - side repeaters are only a relatively small area. I think the 5W will be sufficient for my conversion.

Old 02-11-2016, 04:55 PM
Veteran Member

Further to Andrew's comment regarding 21W bulbs front/rear and 5W at sides - I suppose its to do with the size of the lense and the light dispersal over a larger area - side repeaters are only a relatively small area. I think the 5W will be sufficient for my conversion.
The fender repeaters on the X300 are 5w

Old 02-12-2016, 04:11 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by yeldogt
The bumper ovals are side marker lights -- they go on with the "parking lights" ... although we don't use lights for parking in the USA.

The USA originally did not require them to light up. European cars exported to the USA starting around 1968 would have reflectors installed -- this changed around 1970 to require them to light up.

I like the fender turn signal lights of the X300 -- Jaguar should have continued them on the X308. I loved my Saabs for the center markers and cornering lights.
European law states that all cars must have side repeaters. The X308 has them in the same place as does the X300 and XJ40. Between wheelarch and door.

Old 02-13-2016, 12:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,168 Likes on 1,612 Posts

Try not to go above stock wattage bulbs on the side markers.

The heat fries the plastic towers and then you are looking
for new marker units.

Old 02-13-2016, 03:52 AM

Totally agree 'plums' . I think it would look odd anyway if they were brighter than the factory fitted repeaters - the area on the oval reflectors that will be lit up is only the size of the normal repeater - its mostly reflector.

Old 02-13-2016, 07:36 AM
Veteran Member

Mine have 5w bulbs in them. More than bright enough.

The following users liked this post:
deancantrell (06-17-2017)
Old 02-13-2016, 12:41 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Daim
European law states that all cars must have side repeaters. The X308 has them in the same place as does the X300 and XJ40. Between wheelarch and door.
That's what I thought ... it's been a while since I have noticed an x308 in Europe.

I don't know why they dropped it in the USA -- we do have all the mirrors lights.

Now some cars are going to come without mirrors -- cameras and screens.

Old 02-13-2016, 09:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 318 Posts

CaptainQ,

1. It would help if you put your year and model in your profiie.

2. You have the same as me, a 1998 XJR?

3. If you remove the side linings of you boot, on the right hand side there is the wiring with the connector to the side marker light, with the correct rubber grommet to pass through the boot floor already fitted, just pull the blank grommet out , shove in the wires and seat the grommet in the hole!

On the left hand side you have the same! BUT if you have the factory CD player fitted, the wires,plug, grommet are tucked behind the CD player and taped to the loom at the plug end, just pull the wires over the top of the CD unit (no need to be brutal, or stretch the wires,) and the same. Prefitted grommet, just pull out the blank, and stuff the wires down the hole and fit the grommet in he hole, attatch wires to bulb holder, and Robert is your mothers brother!

All factory wiring and grommets, whats not to like ?

The following users liked this post:
magin846 (06-13-2017)
Old 02-14-2016, 03:37 PM

Hello Andrew. Thanks for the info regarding wiring etc. My XJR is the same age & colour as yours, although it has the Ivory leather - I bought it about 3 years ago from an elderly chap from West London (he was a WW2 Polish Air Force pilot and only agreed to buy the car, new, if they removed the speed limiter - he made regular visits to Poland and wanted to make full use of the power on the Autobhans !). Its only recorded 31K which means I don't like to use it too much - much to my wifes annoyance - lol !!

Old 04-03-2016, 05:35 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by andrew lowe
3. If you remove the side linings of you boot, on the right hand side there is the wiring with the connector to the side marker light, with the correct rubber grommet to pass through the boot floor already fitted, just pull the blank grommet out , shove in the wires and seat the grommet in the hole!

On the left hand side you have the same! BUT if you have the factory CD player fitted, the wires,plug, grommet are tucked behind the CD player and taped to the loom at the plug end, just pull the wires over the top of the CD unit (no need to be brutal, or stretch the wires,) and the same. Prefitted grommet, just pull out the blank, and stuff the wires down the hole and fit the grommet in he hole, attatch wires to bulb holder, and Robert is your mothers brother!
I've just replaced my factory stereo with a double DIN sat-nav FLAC DAB player, which meant taking out the CD player and amplifier. After removing the units and sorting out the plugs to them I discovered a cable, taped down just under the lighting cluster, with a plug on the end near a rubber grommet.

Now I know what it's for.

Cheers.

Old 06-13-2017, 07:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Andrew,

First of all: Thank you for the useful information! Now to my question: I have a 2001 X308 XJR.

Would you be able to tell me where to find the wiring for the side markers in the front of the car? Is it pre-wired like in the back, and if so where do I find the wires? If it is not pre-wired, what is the best way to go about wiring up the front side markers?

Regards
Magnus

Quick Reply: X308 side markers/indicators