XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

X308 side markers/indicators

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 02:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 470 Likes on 352 Posts

I've had USA spec marker lights fitted to my X308's since I bought my first one in 09. On the 00+ cars it would appear the wiring is already in place for the marker lights, but on my 99 car I had to add the wiring. The front wiring is part of a USA spec loom which includes the connectors.

I bought my original set of US marker lights from a Forum member who was breaking a car, and I've had replacements sent to me by other helpful US members. They were also kind enough to send the plugs with useful lengths of wire on, so I was able to hard wire them into the sidelight circuits.

I've presented the car for MOT at several different stations, and nothing has ever been said. Looking closely at more modern cars they have the red and orange side markers built in to their clusters on UK cars these days.

The specified bulbs by Jaguar are 5W bulbs in both the side markers and repeaters, the bulbs are bright enough for the size of the units. The bulbs in the 3rd brake light are also 5W bulbs.

I've found a rather shaky photo I took of my old 99 car with the side markers lit, they do look good in my opinion.

Attached Thumbnails X308 side markers/indicators-dsc02028.jpg  
Old 06-20-2017, 12:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just tinted by front to RED. Looks better and matched the back. $10.00 total.

The following users liked this post:
grandell (06-20-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 04:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by danutcha
I just tinted by front to RED. Looks better and matched the back. $10.00 total.

Hard to tell from the photos for certain, but if you have state safety checks and if your front side markers and turn indicators are actually red, you are likely to be failed... or if you drive down the road with lit red lights on the front of the car you may receive a citation.

I'm not familiar with your state's MV laws, but all states I'm familiar with outlaw civilian vehicles from displaying a red lights on the front.

That's a sharp looking white on the car BTW

Old 06-20-2017, 04:19 PM
Received 221 Likes on 172 Posts

Very nice. I was thinking of doing something similar to mine. Being a red car, it should make them stand out a little less

Old 06-20-2017, 06:21 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's illegal, but I never got pulled over for them. Had red colors on the fronts on my other car and loved them.

Old 06-20-2017, 06:48 PM
Received 221 Likes on 172 Posts

I think as long as they still glow orange they should be fine

I'd love to know more about the tail lights on a few modern cars which appear solid red, but then still manage to glow bright orange, eg new Bentleys

Old 06-01-2020, 10:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CaptainQ
CONVERTING SIDE REFLECTORS TO EXTRA INDICATORS

Most of us are probably aware that in the North American market (and possibly others) the oval reflectors on the front and rear bumpers of our cars serve also as 'side markers' - red to the rear and amber at front. I think I'm correct in saying that they are illuminated together with the side lights (?). There are differing opinions in the USA as to whether they serve any useful purpose. However, I am a great believer that if one driver sees the presence of your car due to additional lights, its got to be a good thing. In the UK the hole for the bulb holder isn't present (see attached picture) its just flat plastic. Also shown is the USA front side marker/bulb holder.
I'm uncertain as to the legalities of side markers in the UK but I know that its quite legal to add repeater indicators, so decided to convert the oval reflectors into reflectors/indicators. I could've bought a pair of USA spec front refelctors/side markers (LNC5030/31AB) but as these are £17 each plus VAT I decided to investigate converting my current reflectors. I purchased four T10 bulb holders off Ebay (£4 total with free postage) and carefully marked and drilled a hole in the raised section (see photo attached). Using a small needle file I then made two 'ears' so that the bulb holder would push in and twist. The bulbs required are normal 5W T10 which push into the holder (same as the USA side marker ones). I've yet to connect and extend the wiring to mate up with the front/rear indicators, but don't envisage and problems (once the weathers better !!). I know our cars already have front repeaters on the front wings but it's the rear side ones which will improve safety. For once, a simple, quick job which may prevent someone side-swiping your car. Good luck if you decide to do the same !
I'll be using that idea!
Excellentay
steady amber all round
Fronts will have a relay in to interrupt steady with flash
Rears cannot be amber and flash - they are more than 2.6m from front of vehicle in UK
Sorted

Last edited by Steve SOMERS; 06-01-2020 at 10:23 AM. Reason: addition