XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

X308 Timing Chain "Gold" Color Primary Chain Guides?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 03:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 775 Likes on 466 Posts

FEL-PRO ES72262 {#GS33527} head bolts work just fine.
I use MLS gaskets for the 4.2L.

bob

A post from Motorcarman on the X100 site. " Broken Chain"
I have used these too with no issues.
Also recommend using the MLS headgaskets.
Read the "Broken Chain " thread. He is removing heads too.

DO NOT USE THE LINCOLN LS HEADGASKETS!!!
THEY DO NOT FIT!!!
You must use headgaskets for a Jaguar. There is a link in the "Broken Chain " thread with the part #'s. Do a search to find best price.

Last edited by BobRoy; 12-06-2018 at 07:32 AM.
The following users liked this post:
motorcarman (12-06-2018)
Old 12-06-2018, 09:02 AM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

Originally Posted by BobRoy

DO NOT USE THE LINCOLN LS HEADGASKETS!!!
THEY DO NOT FIT!!!
You must use headgaskets for a Jaguar. There is a link in the "Broken Chain " thread with the part #'s. Do a search to find best price.
Years ago I bought a pair of FELPRO 3.9 LS gaskets to try on the Jaguar 4.0 (FAIL).
I still have them if anyone wants them.

Old 12-06-2018, 02:29 PM
Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts
Post x308 Crank Chain Gears

Originally Posted by Carnival Kid
Stagby, the deterioration looks to be standard for a vehicle with your mileage and everything appears to be original. While it doesn't indicate that catastrophic disaster was imminent your replacement of these parts is timely.
I'm sure you have already read this in the repair manual, but even though they are keyed, the two crank timing gears can go on backwards, to avoid this they have timing punch marks which should be visible to the assembler (i.e. face towards the front of the car) and the second check is that the two gears should be staggered to each other by 1/2 a tooth.

CK,
Having extensive experience with OHC timing chains on the Triumph Stag, yes, the crank gears are the very first thing I checked for both condition and keyway location. Thanks for the note about the punch marks.

Typically the offset on the keyway is to allow for chain and cam timing adjustment for 1/2 tooth in the event of head skimming which in turn reduces the head height, cams are lower reducing the distance from the crank gear to the cam sprocket is less, etc., some engines can also reverse the cam sprockets also for some additional adjustment to get the timing correct at TDC.

These have 106k miles on them and are definitely getting replaced. that should be standard procedure when replacing the timing chains/guides/tensioners as those gears get twice the chain contact time than the camshaft sprockets. Now to find a good source.

Old 12-06-2018, 02:42 PM
Thumbs up X308 Head Gaskets

Originally Posted by motorcarman
Years ago I bought a pair of FELPRO 3.9 LS gaskets to try on the Jaguar 4.0 (FAIL).
Thanks BobRoy and MotorCarMan for confirming the Lincoln LS 3.9 Cylinder "Head Gaskets" do not fit the AJ27 motor.

There have been a lot of speculation on that - probably due to the supposed interchangeability of
  • cam cover gaskets ( to some degree depending on year/model,
  • intake Manifold gaskets,
  • timing chains and guides (depending on primary chain application).
  • head bolts.
That is exactly what I wanted to see on this Forum - confirmation the cylinder head gaskets are indeed DIFFERENT and are not interchangeable. That is very valuable information.

Thanks MotorCarMan for actually testing out and dispelling the head gasket rumor and to BobRoy for confirming or visa-versa ... .

I am also seeing the various suppliers have different quality of replacement / consumable parts - completely as expected, so watching for overall quality and proper fit will eliminate problems down the road.

Cheers!

Old 12-06-2018, 02:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,008 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by StagByTriumph
.............. yes, the crank gears are the very first thing I checked for both condition and keyway location. Thanks for the note about the punch marks. These have 106k miles on them and are definitely getting replaced......... Now to find a good source.
Item 21, looks like they are sold as a pair? ........... if so they are reasonably priced at $62 bucks
https://www.jaguarmerriamparts.com/p...iagram=F300007

Old 12-06-2018, 06:24 PM
Default Crank timing chain gears

Originally Posted by motorcarman
Originally Posted by Carnival Kid
Item 21, looks like they are sold as a pair? ........... if so they are reasonably priced at $62 bucks
https://www.jaguarmerriamparts.com/p...iagram=F300007

Interesting that the part number AJ82293 crosses to the Morse Style chains gears online, guess I need to be careful selecting the gears ...

Old 12-06-2018, 08:27 PM
Post Cylinder Head Bolts - Felpro

Originally Posted by BobRoy
FEL-PRO ES72262 {#GS33527} head bolts work just fine.
I use MLS gaskets for the 4.2L.

bob
BobRoy,
The Felpro Head Bolt set you use, are those the ones with hardened washers? When I removed the stock ones they of course have no washers which is odd not to have something for the bolt head to move on, not simply contacting the bare cylinder head metal.
Did you torque them using the Jaguar 4.0 procedure?

thanks for your help, Cheers!

Old 12-07-2018, 06:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 775 Likes on 466 Posts

That bolt kit was recommended by Motorcarman on the X100 site. I just copied his post. I can't recall if that is the same set I used, it been a couple years. I usually follow his recommendations since he has a lot more experience with these cars than most of us.
As for the torque procedure I followed the Engine Repair Course Code 168, linked below, on Gus's site and supplied by Motorcarman, Bob comes through again.

http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto...​​

The following users liked this post:
motorcarman (12-07-2018)