XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

XJ8 Door Latch and Cable Information Needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 09:50 AM
Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts
Default XJ8 Door Latch and Cable Information Needed

My question for any that may have replaced a broken cable, does the crimp plug on the cable at the handle end have a flange on it to prevent it from pulling through the hole on the handle it slips into or is it cone shaped and just wedged in. About a year ago I had to perform a creative fix when it appeared the crimp plug had pulled through the hole on the handle. I've seen cables and handles available both separately and as a complete unit. I've got premium sound so a complete assembly would need to be the one with the speaker in the handle cup, while a cable alone would be cheaper it'd be useless if the handle is also broken. I can't find any pictures or descriptions that give a clear detail of the cable plug or the back of the handle. Any help is greatly appreciated, as I need to get something ordered so my wife doesn't have to keep rolling the window down to get out of the car.

Old 01-26-2013, 02:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bluerdg,

I don't have an answer for you - I just wanted to say I'm dealing with the same problem right now (I think). I just bought my car second-hand, and when I test drove the car, they had the driver's door panel off fixing the cable. I picked it up "fixed," and two days later it broke again. So I'm going to do it myself this time, and I suspect I will find something like this to be the problem. I'm hoping I can find my own solution as opposed to buying the entire handle/cable assembly from Jag for...I think I heard $280+ dollars. We'll see. I don't have time to tear into it this weekend. It will probably be next weekend. I'll keep following this thread - let us know what you learn. I'll do the same if I'm first.

Chris

Old 01-26-2013, 02:50 PM
Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

When I replaced mine, I think I got it from Coventry West.

To see a picture, zoom in on the picture on this Ebay auction (appears to be cone shaped):
Jaguar XJ8 Inner Door Handle Cable Rear Vanden Plas Free SHIP | eBay

Old 01-27-2013, 10:54 AM
Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by freeindeed
Bluerdg,

I don't have an answer for you - I just wanted to say I'm dealing with the same problem right now (I think). I just bought my car second-hand, and when I test drove the car, they had the driver's door panel off fixing the cable. I picked it up "fixed," and two days later it broke again. So I'm going to do it myself this time, and I suspect I will find something like this to be the problem. I'm hoping I can find my own solution as opposed to buying the entire handle/cable assembly from Jag for...I think I heard $280+ dollars. We'll see. I don't have time to tear into it this weekend. It will probably be next weekend. I'll keep following this thread - let us know what you learn. I'll do the same if I'm first.

Chris
Sounds like you might have answered the question. When I first got into mine the fix looked simple enough, feed the cable into place and reinsert the crimp back into the hole on the back of the handle. Looking at the components there no question where things go. I figure there's a couple of things that could be happening (if crimp just wedges into hole) 1- the cable has stretched over time and is allowing the crimp to back out when the handle closes and slips out of place 2- Metal fatigue or wear on the handle is allowing the crimp to pull through the hole or (if not a wedge fit) there's a rim lip on the back end of the crimp that prevents it from pulling through the hole and metal fatigue and wear eventually cause it to fail. When the cable is in place it all fits together pretty tight so I can't tell by pulling cup on the passenger door. I've found new cables and salvage assemblies considerably cheaper than 280.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:50 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default door cable

I did a temporary fix as it had been done before and it lasted for a few weeks. I checked around and found that Welsh Industries had the new cable for aprox. $40 replaced about a year ago and still working fine .
also did the same on the 96 XJ6. Cable has a ferrel on the end that set in handle hardware.
Good luck.

Old 03-14-2019, 04:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you find the root cause, I broke 2 handles already....

Old 03-14-2019, 04:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,019 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by Diego Smola
did you find the root cause, I broke 2 handles already....
It's detailed in this thread ?! The door cable's end has a plastic collar that fails. The inexpensive replacement cables # GNC1101CBL are readily available on eBay & the like.

Last edited by King Charles; 03-14-2019 at 07:36 PM.