XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

XJ8 Vanden Plas Trunk won't open

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 07:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default XJ8 Vanden Plas Trunk won't open

The trunk stopped working out of the blue. Keyless trunk release doesnt work, button inside vehicle driver side does not open it either. The green Jaguar button on the trunk doesnt open it. However, the key in the hidden key hole does. When I open it with the key I here the trunk release motor run however, nothing happens. When I try to close the trunk I have to slam it to close. Tell me this is not another $1000.00 dealer repair...

appreciate all input...

Old 08-11-2012, 07:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 1999 jag trunk release problem

Did you check the fuse.Does the light in the trunk work? If not ,there is a micro switch in the trunk release that goes bad.I had the same problem and the service man at windsor jag told me about it .I changed it and it works. Good luck

Old 08-11-2012, 08:52 PM

Checked all the fuses, the light in the trunk works, I can open with key, it is getting hard to close the trunk I have even dinged the lid having to use so much force to getit to close. Could really use some ideas, if anyone has any please post. I read somewhere about the trunk actuator. The motor still runs, I can hear it after using the key or the release cable in the trunk...

Old 08-12-2012, 05:26 PM
GGG
Received 16,764 Likes on 12,153 Posts

Aldo,

I've moved this from General Tech Help to the X308 section.

You should get more response to the issue here.

Graham

Old 11-24-2012, 02:54 PM
Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

If the electric release makes a noise, the fuse is good. There is a plastic clip that holds the actuator rod to the lock mechanism. With age they break. It is an easy
fix. The key lock and the electric actuator use separate rods, if BOTH fail, then you
can still get into the trunk with a long screw driver. Go through the right side license
plate hole.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:31 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Jag 1999
Did you check the fuse.Does the light in the trunk work? If not ,there is a micro switch in the trunk release that goes bad.I had the same problem and the service man at windsor jag told me about it .I changed it and it works. Good luck
Where might I get this micro switch? Thanks!!!

Old 02-03-2013, 09:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,618 Likes on 874 Posts

Look at this other forum thread and posts with it (has iinstructions on how to test and replace the switch):

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-lights-88876/

Trunk switch part is LNC6242AC.
Jaguar of Greenville NC (877-906-2117)- List price $65.00 less 15% discount they give forum member (on purchase of $25 or more & free shipping) net total is $55.25

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 02-03-2013 at 09:37 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:12 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Trunk/boot wiring harness

Hi, I had similar problems with my '98 XJR. I discovered that some of the fine wires in the wiring harness that runs under the right hand boot hinge had severed, maybe due to the opening and closing action? The harness is enclosed in a plastic housing that clips onto the hinge.
Warrick.

Old 02-08-2013, 12:29 AM
Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts
Default trunk release

Hi Aldo, I would investigate why the trunk needs to be slammed to close. The lock may be out of adjustment, preventing the electric openers from working; maybe breaking the plastic clip as Lear45 mentioned. Fix that first.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 298 Posts

Jaguar trunks/boots are not to be slammed. I guard mine against all heavy-handed helpers. All it needs is a gentle push to click shut. Otherwise there is something wrong.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:32 AM
Default Trunk Release

Just wanted to update the thread. I ended up purchasing anew actuator for the trunk, put it in and nothing was working. I found it oddthat a new one would not work. So back to the dealer I went. Fortunately I havea decent dealer not cheap but decent. They took a look at it and found that thepins in the wiring harness had moved over time and were not making a good connectionwith the actuator harness. The reset the pins and it worked fine. Thediagnostic and fix only cost me $149.00 and there may have been nothing wrongwith the old actuator but that was also only about $100.00 so total 250.00 tofix the trunk. For considering myself pretty mechanically inclined this car isgiving me fits with the electronic aspects.
Note to anyone that has a trunk issue, the lid is very sensitive to being slammed closed, i left finger indents from the force needed to get the malfunctioning actuator to close shut. Replace actuator immediately or go to the dealer if it wont close, dont do as I did.

Old 06-23-2016, 10:22 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I realize your post was a long time ago; just wanted to ask whether you know how to get into the trunk of a 08 Jag XJ? I pulled off my license plate hoping I could access it the way you described; unfortunately, my screwdriver hits a metal plate after a half inch in.

My issue is this: I cannot lift my trunk lid to an open position even though I can hear the actuator engaging when using either the FOB, the release button within the car, or the rear button on the trunk. I even attempted to use my key to open the trunk.

It does appear the trunk releases very slightly; yet, I cannot open/lift it. I can push down on it and then have the actuator lock it tightly again. After attempting (activating the actuator) to open it, I do receive the message on the dash alerting me the trunk is open although I cannot lift the lid.

My guess would be the internal latch itself. This raises the question: how do I get into the trunk since it will not open? Maybe I must somehow remove the rear seat and then will have access to the trunk. Gonna call the dealership soon if I don't get to the bottom of it.

Old 06-23-2016, 10:02 PM
Received 447 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by Doberman_Fan
I realize your post was a long time ago; just wanted to ask whether you know how to get into the trunk of a 08 Jag XJ? I pulled off my license plate hoping I could access it the way you described; unfortunately, my screwdriver hits a metal plate after a half inch in.
Doberman-
Please post your trunk question in the X350 forum here:
XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

The 308 forum you are on now stops with model year 2003, you will get help with your 2008 on the X350 forum.
Vector

Old 06-07-2017, 07:52 PM

I know this is an old post, but I'm having the same issue. I took the latch assembly off and plugged the wires back up and hit the button. I worked... kind of. Well I tried to tear the little actuator thing apart but I felt it was going to just break and then I would be forced to buy a new one, so I put it back together. What I have noticed however is that it works in the morning while it's cool outside, but after the temperature gets into the 80's it stops. I hope there is somebody that's figured out a fix, this is maddening. I love my big Cat, but can't stand all of the quirks.

Old 06-08-2017, 08:09 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The new actuator I acquired to replace the broken one on my 08 XJ is not identical to the original one which broke and the new is supposedly better. Cost of actuator was just over $100. I am not sure if this applies to your car. Regardless, I suggest you replace it otherwise you could encounter the issue I had which was not having the ability to open the trunk electronically or with a key. Once that happened, the trunk of my XJ had to have a couple holes drilled into it behind the license plate so as to locate a trunk release bar/latch whereby it was then triggered with a screwdriver. Many claim the faulty actuator is due to folks slamming trunks or hatches; if so, the previous owner of my car caused it since I have always closed it gently. A darn thing is my Hummer H2's actuator went out on it about a month later. Fortunately, it was easy to get to from the inside.

Old 06-16-2017, 08:04 AM
Default Thanks

Thanks for the input, I hadn't thought about contacting the dealer, that is rarely cost effective. After looking for a used actuator on Ebay and the like, that sounds like the best price. Who would have thought that?

Old 04-15-2018, 03:07 PM

You mentioned that it’s an easy fix? How?
I have the same problem with my XJ8.
Originally Posted by Lear45
If the electric release makes a noise, the fuse is good. There is a plastic clip that holds the actuator rod to the lock mechanism. With age they break. It is an easy
fix. The key lock and the electric actuator use separate rods, if BOTH fail, then you
can still get into the trunk with a long screw driver. Go through the right side license
plate hole.

Old 04-15-2018, 04:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,383 Likes on 1,087 Posts

Might be some information for you in this link :

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...t-open-200009/

Old 05-05-2018, 09:56 PM

You said it was an easy fix. Can you provide more detail? I have the same issue, I can open the trunk with the key but not with the remote or any buttons from the car. I hear the motor kick in but it doesn’t open the trunk.
What part needs to be replaced? How do you get to it?
Thank you
Originally Posted by Lear45
plate hole.

Old 04-06-2019, 06:53 PM
Default My plight is even worse!

Ok, My situation is a bit more dire. I was working on electrical connections under hood and so I disconnected the battery. (TPS issue, but that's another thread!) Both terminals.
Gust of wind blows trunk closed just after I touched wires together and turned key as specified in TPS thread. My key, won't turn the trunk latch. Even though it did 2 weeks ago.

I tried the underhood power connection with a jump starter by the left fender fuse box, but it gives me a polarity error and doesn't power the switches.

I've found 2 threads claiming a screwdriver in the license plate hole will do the trick. Or I should drill somewhere in the center. But that's it. What do I look for? Which hole do I put the screwdriver in? What direction? What am I looking for, because I can't find the latch. Is there a rod? Push up or down? I need help!
And now it's nightfall here, sunroof tilted up, 2 windows open and rain forecast. And the car is visible from a city street.
SIGH... Any thoughts?
P. S. This all occurred after the dealers and shops I know were closed. Of course.

Quick Reply: XJ8 Vanden Plas Trunk won't open