XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

XJR Mesh Inserts on VP Grill

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 03:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XJR Mesh Inserts on VP Grill

Anyone put the XJR Mesh inserts into a VP (Fluted) grill? How do they look? Thoughts

2001 VP Silver/Black 83K Miles

Old 08-14-2018, 05:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,008 Likes on 613 Posts

Many people have done this, I purchased some aftermarket mesh grills and liked the look, but I was concerned about the finest of the mesh design and worried that they block too much airflow for the really hot weather we have here in northern California, and so I reverted to the original VDP grill.

Old 08-14-2018, 10:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,351 Likes on 926 Posts

Originally Posted by Carnival Kid
... but I was concerned about the finest of the mesh design and worried that they block too much airflow for the really hot weather we have here in northern California, and so I reverted to the original VDP grill
I fitted original XJR mesh inserts, and my temperatures run at the exact same values as with the original inserts (OBD2 readings).

Old 08-15-2018, 08:25 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ericjansen
I fitted original XJR mesh inserts, and my temperatures run at the exact same values as with the original inserts (OBD2 readings).
Eric, yes, agreed, I'm sure OEM mesh grills are fine, they were designed specifically for the car, The Aftermarket set I bought has a mesh with too fine a mesh pattern, and I think they restrict the air flow too much. The OEM mesh grills are much more expensive than most aftermarket types, but I will try them if I can run across a set at a reasonable price.

Old 08-15-2018, 05:35 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah, these things need patients and some luck.
After 4 yrs on the look-out, I found a set in Japan where seller missed a zero in his price, making them almost for free.
The OEM ones are really thick and sturdy, and as long as the rubber surrounds are OK, they clean up nicely.
I prefer them over the after market ones for exactly what you mention, the look of the coarser mesh.

Last edited by ericjansen; 08-15-2018 at 07:18 PM.
Old 08-20-2018, 01:51 PM
Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

I assume you mean “VDP” rather than “VP”?

That cascade grill has been a Vanden Plas identifier for generations. Why Frankenstein your VDP by installing an XJR grill?

In case you didn’t know, the Vanden Plas designation derives from Jaguar's acquiring that legendary London coach builder decades ago and employing their skilled craftspeople to upgrade the standard XJ with hand-rendered detail work like boxwood inlays on premium butterflied walnut burl veneer, and far more leather throughout the cabin. My 2001 VDP Supercharged had superb Connolly ruched leather panels on the seats and doors. A VDP interior approaches Bentley standards.

Even my extremely rare supercharged VDP (they built around 250 worldwide) stayed with the cascade grill rather than compromise the VDP’s signature look by incorporating XJR styling elements. I like my current 2001 XJR but will never forgive myself for selling that VDP Supercharged.

It’s your car so do what you want with it. But bear in mind its historic significance. The X-308 is the last of the Lyons-era low-slung (only 53” tall) XJs off the Coventry line. The XJ was Sir Williams's favorite model, and the X-308 series is considered by many to be the high point of that model's esteemed lineage. Its minimalist elegance makes today's luxury sedans look frumpy and overwrought.

One problem with X-308s being available on Craigslist for a few thousand dollars is that the hip-hop crowd are buying them and installing 22” wheels and cheesy accessories like the rhinestone-studded shifter knob I saw on one particularly egregious XJ I came across on YouTube. I could send you the link if you’re in the market for this kind of thing, but then I see you already have a custom gearshift knob, so you’re a step ahead of me!

I know I’m a hide-bound traditionalist and do not deny we all are entitled to enjoy our Jaguars in our own way. My purpose in writing this is to make you aware there are pros and cons to customizing a classic design.

Last edited by Johntechwriter; 08-20-2018 at 01:54 PM.
Old 08-20-2018, 05:15 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Johntechwriter
That cascade grill has been a Vanden Plas identifier for generations. Why Frankenstein your VDP by installing an XJR grill?
John,
The OP asked about the inserts, not the grill surround (or 22" wheels)
Thanks for your lecture though, always nice to read.
E.

The following users liked this post:
King Charles (08-21-2018)
Old 08-20-2018, 08:23 PM
Veteran Member

While the Vanden Plas history is convoluted, and did eventually become based in the London suburb towns of Henley and Kingsbury, the original company was a Belgian enterprise started by Guillaume van den Plas and his three sons in the 1870s, literally creating luxury horse-drawn carriages, with initial facilities in Brussels, then Antwerp and Paris France.

Renown in Europe for later coachwork stylings for Rolls, Bentley, Armstrong Siddeley, etc, and, particularly for our interest, Daimler, which became part of Jaguar in the 1960s.

http://www.coachbuild.com/index.php?...g2_itemId=4050

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanden_Plas

Old 08-20-2018, 08:52 PM
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Talking OEM

1XJVP - It's your Bad Ride, if you like them, roll with them!
I believe they came stock on the early VDP supercharged, so Jag must've thought they looked OK.
My 2001 VDP SC (same body ) has the factory 'screens'. I'm not the original owner but don't appear aftermarket. I like the look.
Easy to change back if you change your mind
I tried aftermarket screens on my '99 VDP. Always felt I was writing a check I couldn't cash if I ran into an XJR or VDP SC, so went back to the 'waterfall' grill.
But I liked the look!