XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

1987 Daimler Sovereign problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 08:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1987 Daimler Sovereign problems

Hello everyone, this is my first post. I have a 1987 Daimler Sovereign 3.6ltr and have several problems with it. The first has just started and it's the temp gauge. It shows very hot even when the motor is stone cold. I pulled off what I thought was the temp sensor wire and another one close to it on the thermostat housing to see what might happen but it made no difference. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Secondly the abs anti-lock warning light keeps flashing on, mind you it has done that since I've owned the vehicle (about 18 months) but I would like to get it fixed. I have read where it is sometimes the relay but I can't seem to find it. Also the mineral oil for the abs seems to be leaking from the moulding between the booster and the master cylinder. Is there a kit I can get to repair that or is it another problem. Incidentally I am in Australia.

If anyone can help with any of these problems I would be eternally grateful.

Old 10-08-2014, 02:47 AM
GGG
Received 16,788 Likes on 12,163 Posts

Welcome to the forum barmaryee,

I've moved your question from General Tech Help to XJ40 forum. Members here with the same model will be able to help.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 10-08-2014, 02:03 PM
Received 12,731 Likes on 6,376 Posts

Originally Posted by barmaryee
Hello everyone, this is my first post. I have a 1987 Daimler Sovereign 3.6ltr and have several problems with it. The first has just started and it's the temp gauge. It shows very hot even when the motor is stone cold. I pulled off what I thought was the temp sensor wire and another one close to it on the thermostat housing to see what might happen but it made no difference.

Hi barmaryee,

Welcome to the Jaguar Forums!

I'll defer to our resident early XJ40 experts on your ABS lamp and mineral oil leak. Regarding the temperature sensor/sender, you have found both of them on the thermostat housing. The one with two wires is the Coolant Temperature Sensor (CTS) referenced by the Engine Control Module (ECM) for cold start fuel enrichment, etc. The sender with the single wire drives the temperature gauge on the dash, and obviously you have a problem somewhere. The sender itself is a common and inexpensive part, so it would be worth replacing just to rule it out.

Personally, I would also replace the CTS since they are reaching the age where they seem to be failing on all XJ40s. The CTS is also inexpensive and easy to replace. I would strongly recommend that you purchase a new CTS that has an integral brass "nut" for loosening and tightening the sender when installing or uninstalling it. The Bosch is a good one. I had a bad experience with a Lucas sender that had a plastic "nut" formed as part of the connector housing. The plastic nut spun loose on the sensor before it was fully tight in the thermostat housing. The sensor was purchased from a U.K. based eBay seller named stevelewissaab, who was completely unapologetic about the fact that in his eBay photo he showed a sensor with a brass nut, but he shipped me a sensor with a plastic nut that could not be tightened. He refused to issue a refund, and of course by the time the sensor arrived in the U.S. and I got around to installing it, the deadline for filing a case with eBay and PayPal had expired. I highly advise all J-F members to avoid dealing with eBay seller stevelewissaab and avoid the Lucas CTS.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 10-08-2014 at 05:38 PM.
Old 10-08-2014, 03:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sovereign problems

Thanks Don, much appreciated. I have actually changed the CTS as I was having other fuel problems at the time and it was suggested that I change the sensor. It turned out to be the fuel pump after changing several things. I will try a new temp sensor and see what happens. Again many thanks.

Old 10-08-2014, 03:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,853 Likes on 1,179 Posts

Originally Posted by Don B
I would strongly recommend that you purchase a new CTS that has an integral brass "nut" for loosening and tightening the sender when installing or uninstalling it. The Bosch is a good one. I had a bad experience with a Lucas sender that had a plastic "nut" formed as part of the connector housing. The plastic nut spun loose on the sensor before it was fully tight in the thermostat housing.
My experience too Don with the Lucas unit. Mine came from Jagbits btw!

It installed ok but when I decided to replace it with a brass nut unit a few weeks ago I had great difficulty removing it. Same thing, spun. I resorted to vise grips and it eventually came off.

Incidentally had the same issue with the plastic nut on the air temp sensor in the intake elbow. After much frustration, had to resort to replacing the elbow complete with sensor. (thanks mrtalkradio!)

Larry

The following users liked this post:
Don B (10-08-2014)