XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

1990 sovereign OBD ???

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 08:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 sovereign OBD ???

Does this model or any other pre=OBD-II jaguar have any digital diagnostic connector, or is there an analog port/connector anywhere that I might connect to a pc with my various and assorted analog and/or digital I/O boards? Is there any communications protocol documented anywhere, similar to the OBD-II documentation in, for example, wikipedia?

Old 10-24-2008, 08:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Default RE: 1990 sovereign OBD ???

In a word, no.

The only option you have is the VCM button.

Old 10-24-2008, 09:25 AM

Hi Ken,

I have never been into a Jaguar service garage. Don't they have some sort of diagnostic computer/machine that plugs in between various connectors so they read voltages etc and get info from the ECU while the engine is running?

Best regards,
Tom

Old 10-24-2008, 09:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Not on that model. What problem do you have? Maybe we can point you in the right direction. There are some really sharp folks on this forum.

Old 10-25-2008, 10:16 PM

Ken,

Oh crap - I just typed a big long explanation of where I am at with this car, and when I sent it I got a session timed out error. Of course this dopey forum format doesn't let me return to my laboriously-typed message, but instead just throws it away. I'll see if I remember it all.

Briefly, I'm getting an engine code 44 = o2 sensor, and I need to know what voltages to check on which of the 3 wires for the o2 sensor, and if I can check the airflow meter, and if I can check the fuel regulator electrically since I don't have a pressure gauge yet, and if there is anything else I can check easily.

The check engine code goes out when I restart, and then comes back on again after running for a few minutes. If I stop and restart a few times, it seems to come back on exactly when the auto transshifts intoa highergear. Is the o2 sensor wire a bit flakey and banging against the transmission on a jolt, hahaha?

I did have a look at the wires & sensor when I was under there gumming up some pinholes in the exhaust well aft of the sensor - don't think I broke anything unless it was just ready to go anyway. Is that sensor supposed to be welded in to the exhaust piping, or is that someone's idea of a permanent fix in years gone by?

The car has been sitting for years only started briefly from time to time, and I have to take the car for a government emissions test midweek to put it back on the road without a major hassle. I changed the plugs, oil & filters, and fuel, and will do rest of fluids when it passes the e-test.

The old plugs were sooty and had overly large gaps, and the car ran immensely better when I changed them, andI'm wondering if just a good run down the highway will clear the o2 sensor, or am I just dreaming.

Is there a standard procedure I can do myself step-by-step to sort it out quickly in the next day or two?I don't have the money to take it to a dealer, even if I knew of one nearby that would do a better job than I could, which I doubt.

In the long run I would like to buy or write some software to do at least OBD-II stuff so I can look after my brother's MB SL500 and various other newer family vehicles, even if I couln't do the Jag as well.

Best regards,

- Tom