XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

1990 XJ6 Sovereign has intermittent A/C

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 07:32 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Question 1990 XJ6 Sovereign has intermittent A/C

Here's an odd one. When I parked the car for the night yesterday, the A/C worked. This morning, it worked on medium speed, but when I switched to high, it ran for about 5 seconds then went dead. The lights on the right side of the A/C panel work, but those on the left side of the panel are out. This happened before but came back on for several days.

What gives?

Old 05-22-2013, 07:39 PM

Okay. When I started for the first time this morning, the A/C worked fine. I purposely didn't touch anything to see what it would do. It worked fine all the way to the office, and it worked when I cranked her up for the ride home this afternoon. I stopped at the bank and when I came out and started the car, no air!

Could this be an ignition switch issue?

Old 05-23-2013, 09:16 PM
Received 248 Likes on 170 Posts

Robert,

I would guess at this point one of your blowers is acting up, and specifically the relay inside the blower housing is acting up. When you place the fan position on high, the relay bypasses the med/lo control in the housing and applies full power to the fan motor.

Next time you have an issue, open both doors and remove the fuse for each respective blower to see which is operating. You can place your free hand on the blower housing and feel is the motor is engaged. When you pull the fuse and feel no effect on the housing, you'll know which blower is misbehaving.

Also, with the engine running and the a/c on, move the control through the ranges while your hand is on each blower and you should be able to feel the motor go from med to high if it's working.

....or, if you think you've identified the culprit, simple give it good pop with the palm of your hand and see if it responds.

On these cars if only one blower is working, it feels like both are out. You need both to be working to cause the air to go to the center vents, otherwise one blower working is simply blowing air to the other side and missing the center vent.

The down side is the blower will need to be removed in order to access the relay. I have heard that some folks have been able to reach in through the blower vent door and change the relays, but I can't image how. One would have to be a contortionist to reach the relays.

Another possibility is the control itself. Research the archives for climate control unit repairs. I would still do the above referenced tests on the blowers to either eliminate or prove they are part of the problem.

Good luck.

Old 05-25-2013, 07:02 PM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

Have you looked at the TSB 82-38 for diagnosis???
I uploaded this TSB years ago and it might help you.
Look in the large file download.

bob gauff

Old 05-28-2013, 06:17 PM

Rob,
I'm certain that only one blower is working. I was going to use the method you described to determine which was bad, but the system isn't working at all. On Sunday, it was working on the way to church, but when I started the car after, the A/C worked for about 10 seconds then quit. It hasn't worked since.
I will do some more research.
Thanks.

Old 05-28-2013, 06:19 PM

Thanks Bob, I'll check that out.
Robert

Old 05-30-2013, 06:45 PM

The entire left side of the a/c control panel is dead. There are not even any back lights working. Would that be because of that microswitch?