XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

1991 XJ6 won't crank

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 01:52 AM
Received 10,312 Likes on 6,822 Posts

Firstly you are talking about an XJ40, and that is not here.

One of our ever friendly mods might want to move this to the XJ40 area to maximise responses.

No codes that I know of to allow simple "cranking", UNLESS the thing has an aftermarket alarm/imobiliser fitted, then anything goes. IF that is the case remove that aftermarket thing and see what happens.

Get yourself a 1 5/16" socket (big size) and place it on the nut on the front of the crankshaft and pull it "clockwise as looking from the front" and see if the engine actually is NOT siezed.

YES the starters are prone to failure and hopefully it is that simple.

Old 03-05-2011, 03:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Moved Grant

Might be even simpler, check the Gear selector is actually in Park, give it a bit of a shove and then try, also move the selector into Neutral and try again.

The park neutral switch can throw a wobbler.

Old 03-06-2011, 04:35 AM

Duh, forgot that one.

Gold star to you.

Hold the ignition key in the "start" position, FOOT FIRMLY ON THE BRAKE PEDAL, move the gearlever around and see if it springs to life.

Last edited by Grant Francis; 03-06-2011 at 04:38 AM.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:17 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Grant Francis

No codes that I know of to allow simple "cranking", UNLESS the thing has an aftermarket alarm/imobiliser fitted, then anything goes. IF that is the case remove that aftermarket thing and see what happens.

I have a '91 and it has a factory immobiliser. Reset switch is behind/near the hood release. Not sure of the effect of it though, I have never tripped mine. Not sure if all the lights etc. would work if its tripped.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Translator
Moved Grant

Might be even simpler, check the Gear selector is actually in Park, give it a bit of a shove and then try, also move the selector into Neutral and try again.

The park neutral switch can throw a wobbler.
Sometimes my 92 doesn't start, one time I got pissed and smacked the shifter and it started. Its been happening more and more now though! Is there a replacement available or is there a fix for it?

Old 03-07-2011, 10:20 PM

Probably a new one is available, at the usual $$$$$$$.

I have cleaned a few of them over the years and always had success, takes a little trime, but works out cheaper (free).

Had the ski slope out of the X300 for stereo replacement last year, so off with this switch and contact cleaner liberally applied, dried off, refit and adjust, simple as.

Old 03-08-2011, 06:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I take it that its located somewhere at the base of the shifter? When it gets a little warmer out i'll have to take it apart.

Old 03-09-2011, 02:55 AM

Cocco78,

YES, on the RH side base of the gearlever tin work, held with 2? I think screws, and wiring loom facing forward, simple as to do once the ski slope is off.

Old 08-09-2011, 02:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i just got a 93 that was the same way....mine was the inertia switch behind the drivers side kick panel,between firewall and fuse pannel...just push down on the button...mine been fine since....

Old 08-09-2011, 08:36 PM
Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts
Cool inertia switch

Hi bondad,

As stated earlier by one of the members, check to see if your inertia switch is "tripped".

Poke your head under the dash (driver's side) in the well and you'll see it mounted on the fire wall above where your left foot usually resides just about where the carpet begins. It's easy to check, just push down on the button. If it clicks after gently pushing on it, it was tripped. Then try to start your car.

If it is NOT a tripped inertia switch, read on.

From Haynes

Here's a wiring diagram for the car (Haynes) - the diagram on the left is applicable, I believe, in your case.

Start&charge_system.pdf

Read your Haynes, the section entitled, "Starter won't crank".

The most likely suspects are (some of these have been brought up already):

1. faulty Ignition Switch
2. faulty Ignition On Relay
3. faulty Linear Gear Position Switch (determines if in "P" or "N" and sends signal to ECU)
4. Engine Management (ECU) fails to close N.O. contacts in Starter circuit after receiving "P" or "N" signal from LGPS.
5. faulty starter relay
6. faulty starter solenoid
7. faulty starter or
8. faulty wiring (and/or grounds) interconnecting these devices.

Most of these can be "tested" with a simple ground wire (or test light) and a little reasoning on your own part. Start from where you have power and work your way to the starter.

My mom's Civic just gave me a time last week. It would NOT start. You turn on the ignition switch and sometimes the dashboard would energize and sometimes it would not. In all cases, after turning on the ignition switch the dash would blank and the starter would NEVER crank.

It wasn't the battery ... it wasn't the battery cable terminals ... it was an internally broken -tive battery terminal cable. If you put juice through it, it would open up. An ohmmeter reading would not reveal the source of the problem.

I temporarily fixed it with a salvaged cable from a junk car. The cable I replaced was composed of a multitude of very fine wire - I would suggest to all, never waste your money on this type. Get one composed of strands of a decent wire size.

I'm not suggesting this is your problem, but it could be something simple in your case, too.

Good Luck.