XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

2 issues with 1994 4.0L Sovereign

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 09:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2 issues with 1994 4.0L Sovereign

Hi everyone,

bit concerned over a couple of things:
1. When the car is at running temperature and stopped the oil pressure drops to zero and light comes on. On acceleration the pressure returns and light goes out. Cruising at about 60Kmh the problem appears again and disappears on acceleration or cruising above 75Kmh. The oil level in the sump is fine. When engine is cold, no problem.

2. More recently when I brake, the alternator and anti-lock indicator lights come on for about 1 second then go out.

Any info would be gratefully received, TIA

Glenn

Old 05-28-2013, 06:47 AM
Veteran member
Received 329 Likes on 258 Posts

Hi Glenn:
1. It's very likely a failing oil pressure switch. Both my cars dip to almost nothing when warm and at idle. They then move up toward 'normal' once I get moving. The solutions are to live with it or replace the switch with a 'static' model - one that will only show whether there is pressure, not how much. I don't think it's very expensive but it is a bit fiddly. My only concern about your story, however, is the oil pressure light coming on. I've never heard of that. Perhaps somebody else can put my fears at ease...

2. Again, the anti-lock brake light could very well be a failing sensor. Or it could be a failed ABS component. Unless you are good at brake work and/or electrics diagnostics, I'd have that looked at by my indy mechanic to be sure. I'm not sure what you mean about the "alternator" light. Is it the light orange lightning bolt? That indicates a fuse out. Turn the car off, turn key to position II (without cranking), and press the VCM button and there should a rabbit trail for you to follow.

Cheers,
Scott

The following users liked this post:
Phantom1 (07-02-2013)
Old 05-28-2013, 12:28 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Phantom1
Hi everyone,

bit concerned over a couple of things:
1. When the car is at running temperature and stopped the oil pressure drops to zero and light comes on. On acceleration the pressure returns and light goes out. Cruising at about 60Kmh the problem appears again and disappears on acceleration or cruising above 75Kmh. The oil level in the sump is fine. When engine is cold, no problem.

2. More recently when I brake, the alternator and anti-lock indicator lights come on for about 1 second then go out.

Any info would be gratefully received, TIA

Glenn

glenn, there is one thing you could try, which at the very least, is a cheaper option to start with.
around a year ago, i had exactly the same problem. one minute the pressure was 5 bar on the gauge, then dropped to nothing when i came to a halt. its a bit of a pain to look at the pressure switch, because you need to remove the air filter and maf meter to get at it, but what i found was, that the very small nut that holds the lead to the sensor, had come loose, so the lead was `flopping` about. i removed the nut, cleaned everything up, re-fit and its been fine since!! worth a try, but be very careful when you tighten up the nut again. just `nip` it tight, otherwise you`ll break the peg off.
another option you have, is to fit a modified sensor. what this sensor does, is gives you a reading of around 4 bar, as long as, you have pressure. in other words, it dos`nt give `real time` pressure readings, but rather A reading, as long as there is pressure there. not my ideal, because i like the real time reading.

JLM20791 | eBay

`More recently when I brake, the alternator and anti-lock indicator lights come on for about 1 second then go out.`

when you say alternator light, do you mean the battery light?
i can only guess with this one, taking your question `as is`, that to me, it sounds like a bad earth. its important with these cars, that ALL earth points are kept in good, clean condition. it was one of the first jobs i did on my car during its first year with me.
go round all the earth points you can see in the engine bay, including the battery and clean them all up. there are a few along the bulkhead/firewall, underneath the headlights, on the engine block, everywhere, and are all important!
i`d certainly also go with scotts suggestion and see if the VCM is throwing any faults. i doubt it, but worth a try.

The following users liked this post:
Phantom1 (07-02-2013)
Old 07-02-2013, 07:50 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks Scott & Mark for your suggestions.
I'll certainly check that oil sensor and let you know what I find.

As for the indicator lights coming on when I brake....feel like a bit of a dummy here. When I got my book out, what I assumed was the Alternator light (because it looks the same in other cars I've had) is actually the brake indicator which is telling me 'low fluid'. DUHHH!
Topped it up and all good. Not on this site as often as I'd like, hence the delay in replying.

My apologies,

Glenn

Old 07-02-2013, 11:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,854 Likes on 1,180 Posts

Hi Glenn,

I wouldn't worry about the oil low pressure light coming on with an indicated pressure drop - the gauge and oil light are on the same circuit, so if the gauge "zero's out" due to a problem with the oil pressure switch the light will also illuminate. Disconcerting, but related to the oil pressure sender connection or unit failure. Mine does this too - will have to fix it one of these days!