XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

88 Jag xj6 Electrical Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 08:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88 Jag xj6 Electrical Problem

Have recent problem with electrical system. Door locks are actuating on their own. Everything starts locking including sun roof. Also when I pull hood release doors start locking. Any clues as to what's wrong?

Old 12-12-2014, 09:06 AM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

Welcome to the forum iowabobg,

I've moved your question from Jaguar Forums Feedback & Suggestion Center to XJ40 forum. Members here with the same model will be able to help.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 12-12-2014, 11:10 AM
Received 12,739 Likes on 6,380 Posts

Originally Posted by iowabobg
Have recent problem with electrical system. Door locks are actuating on their own. Everything starts locking including sun roof. Also when I pull hood release doors start locking. Any clues as to what's wrong?

Hi iowabobg,

Can you please give us a little more information about the circumstances under which the doors locks actuate on their own? Aside from when you pull the hood release, what are the other circumstances when the actuators move?

Are all of your doors locking and unlocking in sync, or is one or more doors out of sync with the others? If one door is out of sync, there is a procedure for re-synchronizing everything. Let us know and I'll try to find that procedure for you.

Cheers,

Don

The following users liked this post:
93SB (12-12-2014)
Old 12-13-2014, 07:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88 Jag xj6 Electrical Problem

So the doors start locking as soon as I start the vehicle. As I'm driving they continue to click. If I open the sun roof it might stay open for 5 minutes and then it closes. I don;t think the locks are out of sync. They lock at the same time. This problem is like someone is activating the security switch on this model and everything is locking. Thank for the help. I'm just not sure where to stat.

Old 12-13-2014, 01:19 PM
Received 12,739 Likes on 6,380 Posts

Originally Posted by iowabobg
So the doors start locking as soon as I start the vehicle. As I'm driving they continue to click. If I open the sun roof it might stay open for 5 minutes and then it closes. I don;t think the locks are out of sync. They lock at the same time. This problem is like someone is activating the security switch on this model and everything is locking. Thank for the help. I'm just not sure where to stat.

Some possibilities would be a problem with a door power lock actuator, friction or binding in the linkage of one of the door lock mechanisms, a loose or corroded electrical connector somewhere in the central locking circuitry, a short in the wiring harness for one of the door locks where the wiring harness enters the door, corroded fuse, corrosion on a ground stud, cold solder joints in a fuse box (not uncommon), or water ingress in the CPU (not uncommon). The CPU is mounted on the firewall behind the passenger-side knee bolster. See the photo albums below for a sampling of things you can check:

Welcome to Jag-lovers - Members Photo Viewing Page

I don't show how to disconnect the CPU, but it's not difficult to figure out. There are two or three sliding retainers that secure it to slotted metal studs. Disconnect the battery before you disconnect the CPU and check it for signs of water ingress. The cover can be removed to inspect the internal circuitry.

If you don't own the two XJ40 DVDs from the Jaguar Daimler Heritage Trust, they are a worthwhile investment. The Supplementary information DVD includes the Electrical Guides with schematics that would give you an idea of some possible problem locations in the circuitry. They're copyrighted so I can't share the documents with others, so you'd have to purchase your own copies, but they're very affordable.

Sorry for such a laundry list. Hopefully another member will have experienced the identical behavior and found a solution.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 12-13-2014 at 01:23 PM.
The following users liked this post:
93SB (12-15-2014)