XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

91 xj6 VDP fuel issue.

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 07:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 91 xj6 VDP fuel issue.

I'm getting a flow of fuel on ignition,but when i crank the motor over i get nothing.I know it could be a number of things,but if anyone has any quick thoughts i'd appreciate it.

Old 05-28-2013, 07:11 PM
Veteran member
Received 329 Likes on 258 Posts

fullenglish:
First, welcome to the forum. Be sure to do a proper greeting in the 'new members' section telling us a little bit more about yourself!

Second, could be a number of things. Are you able to keep the car running at any point? Try the "key cycling" trick to see if you can get the car to start. Turn the key from off to position II (without cranking) and back again four or five times. This sufficiently primes the fuel line with the correct pressure.

On the other hand...

If you have good fuel pressure and the car is not starting, it good be electrical. That's another story. One step at a time I guess... Find out if you have fuel pressure. Should be 40 psi at the fuel rail whilst running.

Cheers and welcome again,
Scott

Old 05-29-2013, 10:45 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by fullenglish
I'm getting a flow of fuel on ignition,but when i crank the motor over i get nothing.I know it could be a number of things,but if anyone has any quick thoughts i'd appreciate it.
are you getting spark out the coil or at the plugs?

when you say `when i crank the motor over i get nothing`, do you mean its cranking over but not firing, or the engines not `turning over`?

Old 05-30-2013, 02:19 PM

Cheers Scott for your quick reply.It turned out to be my fuel pump relay.

Old 05-30-2013, 02:22 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by MidwestJag
fullenglish:
First, welcome to the forum. Be sure to do a proper greeting in the 'new members' section telling us a little bit more about yourself!

Second, could be a number of things. Are you able to keep the car running at any point? Try the "key cycling" trick to see if you can get the car to start. Turn the key from off to position II (without cranking) and back again four or five times. This sufficiently primes the fuel line with the correct pressure.

On the other hand...

If you have good fuel pressure and the car is not starting, it good be electrical. That's another story. One step at a time I guess... Find out if you have fuel pressure. Should be 40 psi at the fuel rail whilst running.

Cheers and welcome again,
Scott
Thanks again Scott.It's always a process

Old 05-30-2013, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by XJ40-Mark
are you getting spark out the coil or at the plugs?

when you say `when i crank the motor over i get nothing`, do you mean its cranking over but not firing, or the engines not `turning over`?
Hey Mark,
No,it turned over strong just wasn't getting any fuel.I was getting spark at the coil and plugs.It turned out to be my fuel pump relay.

Thanks for your reply

Old 05-30-2013, 03:41 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by fullenglish
Hey Mark,
No,it turned over strong just wasn't getting any fuel.I was getting spark at the coil and plugs.It turned out to be my fuel pump relay.

Thanks for your reply
your welcome sir!
glad you sorted it. did you clean the relay or replace it?
i ask, because this is another little job, often overlooked on older cars. after 20+ years of clicking on and off, these relays can often get a bit pitted and dirty. as i`ve done on my own car over a few days, its worth removing the relays on these cars and cleaning up the contacts inside. they work inside, similar to the old ignition breaker points years ago. easy to clean up with very fine wet and dry, then spray with non-residue electrical spray. worth doing