XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

actuators/solenoids=pain in arse

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 07:47 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default actuators/solenoids=pain in ****

good day all,
saggy headlining completed looks top class even if i do like to blow my own tuba!
as with previous posts i have been having some central locking problems,anyway with some great advice on here ive narrowed it down to actuators passenger and rear passenger.
my question to you wise men is can i remove them without dropping the lock plate and window & runner.
i can see two screws that hold it on to frame but it looks like spaghetti junction above it with all the connecting rods,
i know a quick solution is never inevitable with jagUars but it seems strange if the little buggers clam up not to be able to just remove them.
here's hoping they can be.
with your advice and my labour,my majestic is well, looking majestic,
thank you one and all.
booya.....................marco

Old 09-23-2009, 11:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Answer = YES.
You can remove them without touching the window frame etc. In fact do not remove window frame you'll just make the job so much bigger than it needs to be.

But first have you tried to re-educate the system. By opening all the windows and then starting with the drivers door. Unlock each door in sequence around the car (pull plunger). Then continue your walk and lock each door. Try this a few times, it just might work.

Unclip wiring connectors.

Unclip the connector rods from the door handle, but leave them attached to the actuator (easier if you remove the handle retaining clamp from inside the door because one of the rods is a real pig to get to). Be careful not to damage the micro-switch wire.

Then unscrew the actuator retaining screws and with patience, fiddling, and some bad words you will be able to remove the whole actuator assembly through the large hole in the inside of the door.

The screws holding the actuator to its support will seem have been factory fitted with an air gun and lock tight so a short angled extension and the correct bit on the end of a socket might help.

Before replacing all of the above, reconnect the electrical plug to the "new" actuator and conduct a test firing from the driver's door and dash locking switch.

As the good book says, replacement is the opposite of removal. reconnecting the rods to the handle can be fiddly.

Have fun!

Old 09-24-2009, 03:46 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

good morning translator,
thanks for detailed advice,yes have tried reset sequence to no avail,
definitely actuators i will heed your advice and get to work on them.
i was pleasantly surprised how easy the door cards were to remove i have Mercedes and they were a nightmare removal,
thank you again for post
regards marco

Old 09-26-2009, 08:49 PM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I will be delving into doors soon my pass rear door dosent open, dosent seem to unlock) fixing that with the door closed? Impossible yes :P

Old 09-27-2009, 04:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Tricky for sure

·Nothing happens when you pull the lock plunger. Y/N
·You can’t open the door from the outside handle Y/N
·Nothing happens when you pull the lock plunger Y/N
·You can’t open the door from the inside handle Y/N
·You can’t pull or push the plunger in any direction Y/N
·You can pull/push the plunger both ways but no resistance at all Y/N

With someone else, either you or them, preferably you, firmly push the door closed (push around the exterior handle area) from outside the car and try the above. You might need to synchronise your efforts to achieve the door push and unlock pull to the same moment. Use your hands or backside for the push because you don’t want to damage the panel.

When you pull the plunger you should feel resistance and then a definite release.

Sometimes a door can appear to be correctly closed (looks OK, no warning lights) but the latch has not quite engaged/disengaged correctly. Due to an obstacle, seat belt etc, or just lack of use.

If this doesn’t work, you can remove a rear door card etc with the door closed, it’s just that much more fiddly (a 3 mug of tea job, one before, one during and one after). You will need to move the appropriate front seat fully forward to give you more room, and it will be tight where it buts up to the rear seat squab. You can quickly remove the seat base to give better access, 4 screws under the carpet along the base, which can be very tight.

Once you are inside the door you can manually pull the actuator rods. Also you can access the latch mechanism with a straw on a can of WD40 or some such and give it a GOOD soaking, especially the child lock switch, which often becomes stuck.

See pic: Name:  reardorrlatchassy.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  63.9 KB">

Good luck, I have had door problems myself, they are a pain, when you have the door open actuate the child lock many times.

Old 09-27-2009, 09:45 PM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Wow thanks for the info, I will def give that a shot when I get back home!