XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Anti-Lock & Pad Wear Lights, Side Marker, Indicator, Front Terminal Post?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2022, 03:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anti-Lock & Pad Wear Lights, Side Marker, Indicator, Front Terminal Post?

Hi everyone I'm new here!

Just purchased myself a 1989 xj40 3.6 auto. It has been stood for 17 years. Just replaced fuel pump, filter and did a bit of work to the injectors and she fired straight up. I'm desperate to get it through an mot but I have 2 last issues stopping me which are:

Anti lock failure - I see loads of other posts but mine seems a bit strange. When the engine is running 99% of the time the anti lock sign will stop coming on. As soon as you turn it off its back again. Iv checked the over volt fuse and its like new. My sensors are a bit jammed in and I feel will break if I try any harder to remove. Any ideas?

The other issue is both side repeaters and the front o/s indicator have stopped working. Bulbs are fine and fuses are good. May be simple but me and car electrics are not the best combination.

Any help would be hugely appreciated. Iam over the moon with the car and its in great condition. Just desperate to start driving it.

Old 11-03-2022, 05:14 PM
Default Front terminal post?

Hi, I have a 1989 3.6 xj40. I have a side repeater and front indicator out. I also have a brake pad low light on. I have bypassed all the wear sensors but still on. Can find a broken wire anywhere in the loom. Iv been looking for 2 days. I have noticed there is a spade on the r/h terminal post without a wire going into it. Could this be an issue? Im tearingy hair out with this now. Any help would be appreciated

Old 11-04-2022, 11:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,858 Likes on 1,183 Posts

For your indicator circuit, unless the contacts/sockets are not making good contact and the bulbs check out as good, it's possible that the relay inside the module isn't switching. These modules can be pried open to examine the contacts/operation. The Haynes manual should have a circuit diagram for your model and could give you the location of the module.

cheers

Larry

The following users liked this post:
Don B (11-08-2022)
Old 11-04-2022, 12:03 PM

Thanks Larry. I swapped the module for the passenger side and the problem didn't follow. It stayed exactly the same. Iv checked the plugs. When I put a multimeter on it it shows voltage but not flashing and not even enough to power the bulbs. Iv tested the bulbs and replaced for new.

All I want to do is drive it

Old 11-08-2022, 10:10 PM
Received 12,767 Likes on 6,395 Posts

Originally Posted by Mlucas110
Hi, I have a 1989 3.6 xj40. I have a side repeater and front indicator out. I also have a brake pad low light on. I have bypassed all the wear sensors but still on. Can find a broken wire anywhere in the loom. Iv been looking for 2 days. I have noticed there is a spade on the r/h terminal post without a wire going into it. Could this be an issue? Im tearingy hair out with this now. Any help would be appreciated
Hi Mlucas110,

Welcome to the Jaguar Forums! It's great to have you with us!

I have combined your two threads on similar issues - sorry none of us replied to your first thread.

On your 1989 XJ40, the four brake pad wear sensors are arranged in a full circular circuit, so a break anywhere in the wiring or at any sensor triggers the warning light. Probably the most effective place to short the circuit and hopefully extinguish your pad wear warning lamp would be right at the instrument cluster connector. It's not very difficult to remove the IC, and you can find the correct wires with the Electrical Guide, which you can download at the link below:

Jaguar XJ40 Electrical Guide 1988-1989

If you don't have the Haynes manual Larry mentioned, you can download a mostly-complete U.K. edition at this link:

Haynes Jaguar XJ40 Repair Manual

Regarding your front indicator and side repeater, have you checked the condition of the terminals in the bulb sockets? Often they are corroded and the center terminals need to be re-tensioned by gently pulling them outward with a right-angle pick or similar. Also check your associated ground points, which the Electrical Guide will help you locate.

Did you figure out the cause of the Anti-Lock warning lamp? The ABS wheel speed sensors do corrode and seize in the hubs so be very, very careful with them.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 11-08-2022 at 10:23 PM.