XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Brake Lights Stick On Intermittently

 
  #1  
Old 05-02-2019, 09:41 AM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Boise, ID
Posts: 150
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Brake Lights Stick On Intermittently

I just finished my vacuum booster conversion, and am very pleased with the results. I ended up drilling and tapping between cylinders 5 & 6 for vacuum, took the booster off a S3 XJ6 parts car I have, and sourced everything else from work. I'm glad I did the swap, because the brakes feel better, even if it's just in my head. This forum was my go-to for info on doing this as well. So thanks to everyone, and especially British Ride's detailed write-up in the following thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ooster-170061/.

Anyway, my issue is one I kind of had before the conversion, which was part of my reason for doing it. My brake lights won't turn off sometimes. Before, the pedal wouldn't reset completely for about five or six seconds after releasing it, which would leave the lights on during that time. I could pull it back with my foot and shut it off, but it was annoying and not right. well after the swap I noticed my lights were stuck on. I adjusted the switch and got them off, but on my test drive noticed (using third brake light as reference) that they would stay on sometimes. I'd say 80% of the time it would shut off immediately after releasing the pedal, but the other 20% of the time, especially after hard braking, it would take a few seconds. Did I miss something that's causing this? Is it just a faulty or sticky switch? I cleaned it up a little and it SEEMS to function correctly... I also have it adjusted as far forward as possible, so there's no real adjustment left. Any help on this would be great!
 
The following users liked this post:
Don B (05-03-2019)
  #2  
Old 05-02-2019, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Victoria BC Canada
Posts: 1,857
Received 1,164 Likes on 736 Posts
Default

Has to be the switch IMHO

Larry
 
The following users liked this post:
Don B (05-03-2019)
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
annamiata
XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 )
4
04-30-2019 12:10 PM
TheOne
S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 )
11
06-15-2017 09:09 PM
JDP
X-Type ( X400 )
6
11-15-2011 05:08 PM

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake Lights Stick On Intermittently


Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: