XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

To Buy or Not To buy ('88 Vanden Plas)

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 05:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To Buy or Not To buy ('88 Vanden Plas)

I'm a "newbe". Just signed on today. I'm so new I haven't even done my profile yet. However my usere name, British Car Nut, kind of says it all. I have a '67 E-type, '72 Midget, '74 MGB-GT, '76 MGB, '71 TR6, '80 TR7 Spider and a '31 Model A (just threw that in to see if anyone was paying attention). I wasn't looking for another project. HONEST! However, earlier today while at the local junk yard, while looking for parts for my '97 F-150, I saw a complete '88 Vanden Plas - just sitting there. It looked complete, nothing appeared to have been removed. It's maroon with tan interior. Written with a yellow paint pen on the rear panel was "79,000 miles - good motor - good transmission". I know the man that runs the yard and asked him about the car and what he wanted for it. He said he had it running few years ago but he remembered it as having some electrical issues (but couldn't remember exactly what). The body, glass and interior was in remarkable condition with no rust, dings or visible damage. Even the tires looked good. The only thing I saw was the headliner was pulled down a little in the front, between the two visors. When I asked how much, he said he would take $800 for it. He was reluctant to part it out because it WAS in such good condition. He also told me the only thing missing on the car was the catalytic converter. Thieves got it a while back. I'll be honest, I know absolutely nothing about the later model XJ6's or the Vanden Plas edition. My gut feeling was $800 seemed very reasonable, almost too good to be true. Hell, I've paid almost that much for a parts car. I know the man well enough and have dealt with him enough in the past to believe that he would tell me what the electrical problems were if he actually did know.
Now the reason for my post. I'm looking for some feedback, I guess maybe a consensus, from the people who have LIVED with these cars. I've tried to give as much detail about the car so that you might have an idea what I'm looking at. That being said, if YOU came across something like that, knowing what you know about the cars - the good and the bad, would you jump on it or just let it slide by? Any feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Mike in WV

Old 12-21-2011, 07:38 PM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

When these Cats are up and running, you'll be hard pressed to find a smoother, more comfortable, more prestigious ride than anything else out there for the money....now I mention money because they like it for breakfast, lunch, dinner and dessert!

The electrics are a minefield, when they go wrong, they go wrong as can be attested to the many posts here on the forum, although sometimes it can be the simplest thing if you know where to look...

The other thing that can and does go wrong is the ABS braking system, easily fixed but damn expensive. Replacing the switches and accumulator ball will easily cost you more (just in parts) than your $800 for the whole car!!! There is a way to swap it over to a conventional vacuum system if it is dodgy and you want to save a few dollars.

Little things to check for are door handles, condition of the leather, suspension and also the mounts as the chassis, cabin and drivetrain all ride on a very comfortable cushion of rubber. The engines and transmissions are virtually bulletproof although as with anything mechanical things can go wrong if they haven't been serviced properly. Did you mention which size engine is in the Jag you're looking at? 3.6Lt?

You said it's rust free and if it is then fantastic. But have you had a close look at the pillars and sill below the front and rear screens...rust often hides in behind the rubbers...also have a good look at the doors and around the frames as well as a good look underneath the sills and wheel wells...

If it's $800 than I would grab it...it's right on the money for what these Jags are worth and if worse came to worse and you couldn't get it running then you will easily be able to part it out or find another good example and use it as a parts donor vehicle...if it is in good order and you can get it running then it will be a bargain!

Well, that's my 2 cents worth...I'm sure others will chip in...

The following users liked this post:
British Car Nut (12-22-2011)
Old 12-21-2011, 11:49 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The car will pretty well tell you whats wrong with it when you turn the key on and fire her up. Some things will be easy fixes, some could be nasty and there could be a couple of phantom messages thrown in to make life interesting.

Old 12-22-2011, 05:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

That's a good deal . I had exact ride as yours years ago . It was a nightmare with endless glitches lol

Hydraulic suspension is a snag on these rides from my experience , parts are not cheap but this is a good deal as I said in the worst case you can sell it for parts

Old 12-22-2011, 12:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 526 Likes on 371 Posts

I wouldn't go for an '88. For that model, you'd be wise to look at '90 and above model years. Long ago, I was able to purchase a '91 for $995 and it ran like a dream.

Old 12-22-2011, 03:00 PM
Veteran member
Received 329 Likes on 258 Posts

Welcome Mike:
From one Model A owner to another... It's so hard to say. The more you learn about these cars, the more you could find out that the only problem might be a bad CPS or something else really easy to fix. Contrarily, finding the electrical problems on an early XJ40 could indeed be the "minefield" described above. Much of the value of these cars, in my observation, lies in previous ownership and pedigree. Then again, if you are handy, it could be a bit of fun. Some parts are cheap. Others are mind-blowingly expensive. At the end of the day, I'm not sure I would even take a non-running '40 with known electrical issues if it was given to me; and I certainly wouldn't pay a dime over half what he's asking. Alas... as much as it pains me to say it, it would almost certainly be worth more to him parted out.
On the other hand, when they're running, these cars are a dream.

Happy deciding!
Scott

Old 12-23-2011, 06:55 AM
Received 105 Likes on 93 Posts

Offer him $300.00
If he says no, look for an 89-94, you can just about steal them today. I did a brief search for an xj6 in your area and found a beautiful 91 for 1250, and that surely could have been talked down to 1000 if not 900. 89-94 parts are interchangeable as well. Remember it is a buyers market out there right now, you have the upper hand.

British Car Nut (12-23-2011)
Old 12-23-2011, 08:44 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

For my 20 cents worth again it really comes down to the nature of the "electrical problem". There is a lot to go wrong there is way over a 100 warning circuits. Then there's attepts to fix things that go horribly wrong - I have a 90 Daimler which would idle but cut out if you tryed to rev it which are the symptoms of a faulty air flow meter it arrived on the truck, popped the bonnet and first thing I noticed the wiring to the air flow meter have been tampered with. I rang the wreckers got another loom and had that intalled - problem fixed. Another problem I had in 2 cars was the old fuelling failure 3 where you can start the car cold but gets difficult to start hot which is the coolant temperature sensor. In one case the plug had come off and in the other I replaced the sensor ($30 part) problem fixed.
As I said before some things are simple and other things are likely to be expensive, you'll need to try get a more specific answer to the "electrical problem". I'd buy the car for $800 as described by you ..... but I do that, I've got 7 XJ40's.
Also check that all the doors open - that is an annoying problem pretty common to the model, I'm pretty sure the doors don't like being slammed.

The following 2 users liked this post by leigh898:
British Car Nut (12-23-2011), prestone08 (03-14-2015)
Old 12-25-2011, 08:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First of all I, would like to wish everyone a Merry Christmas. I hope everything is well with all of you and your families and loved ones. Secondly, I would like to thank everyone for their comments and good, sound advice. I have read and reread your replies several times. I guess it would be safe to assume that the '87 and '88 models may not be the best examples Jaguar had to offer. That being said, I will make my decision with my eyes wide open. The car is only a couple of miles from where I live and I plan to make several more visits and inspections. Whether or not I purchase this particular car, I am very impressed with this forum and plan to visit it often. I still have a '67 E-Type and that's another whole other list of questions that need answering

Old 12-26-2011, 04:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Merry Xmas , thanks for your wishes as well

You're always welcome to visit the forums and post your inquiries .This is cool and friendly place

British Car Nut (12-28-2011)