XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

CAC 6739

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 11:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAC 6739

I'm new to this forum. I have purchased a 1994 XJ12. I have spent lot of time and $ to get rid of a raw Fuel smell. Lastly was a new Charcoal canister CAC 6739. It has three ports, the two outer ports are the same diameter, the middle port is smaller and go to the tank. The canister is not labelled as to where the two outer ports go. One is supposed to go to the engine intake, the other left open to vent. Parts manual shows right port to intake, but the maintenance manual shows the left port to the intake. Any ideas?

Old 03-06-2016, 10:38 PM
Received 12,739 Likes on 6,380 Posts

Originally Posted by Loomis
I'm new to this forum. I have purchased a 1994 XJ12. I have spent lot of time and $ to get rid of a raw Fuel smell. Lastly was a new Charcoal canister CAC 6739. It has three ports, the two outer ports are the same diameter, the middle port is smaller and go to the tank. The canister is not labelled as to where the two outer ports go. One is supposed to go to the engine intake, the other left open to vent. Parts manual shows right port to intake, but the maintenance manual shows the left port to the intake. Any ideas?

Hi Loomis,

Welcome to the Jaguar Forums! It's great to have you with us.

I suspect the charcoal canister setup on our '93 six-cylinder is probably similar to yours, so it's possible the photos at the link below may help. The photos deal with replacing the purge valve, but the hoses attached to the charcoal canister are shown:

Welcome to Jag-lovers - Members Photo Viewing Page

I also rebuilt our charcoal canister and there are a couple of photos here:

Another possible source of fuel vapors in the passenger compartment is a leak at the top of the fuel tank or at the evaporative flange on top of the tank. If you smell fuel when you open the trunk, it would be worth removing the spare tire and jack and the trim panel that covers the fuel tank. Sniff for fuel along the top of the tank where there is a foam sound insulation pad.

Please keep us informed.

Cheers,

Don

The following users liked this post:
93SB (03-15-2016)
Old 03-10-2016, 02:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 976 Likes on 662 Posts

Welcome Loomis,

The 1994 XJ12 must be one of the rarest of all "modern classic" Jags, as it was only produced for the 1994 USA model year. More rare than the 95-97 XJ12 like mine, no doubt! A keeper, if you can get on top of any maintenance and appearance issues.

My XJ12 uses a different evap/canister system than yours, so I can't speak from experience to your problem. But one thing I thought of is that maybe it doesn't matter which outer port is open and which goes to the intake. Maybe the canister has a symmetrical construction? Best of luck with it.

Old 12-06-2018, 11:07 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Quick question for Don B:

Very impressed with your DIY pix! How were you able to open the canister? Mine is in need of some interim repair while I get to a replacement, but I'm afraid of cracking the3 plastic trying to open it.

Thanks in advance for any guidance!

Old 12-06-2018, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by chicho
How were you able to open the canister? Mine is in need of some interim repair while I get to a replacement, but I'm afraid of cracking the3 plastic trying to open it.
Hi chicho!

Thank you for your kind words. It's been a long time since I rebuilt our canister, but I think I recall using the flat edge of a steel bar to tap on the lip of the canister lid, rotating the canister as I went so each tap or two was on a different spot on the edge of the lid. Eventually the glue that held the lid on began to give way, and I just kept tapping and rotating until all the glue separated. I found activated charcoal in the acquarium department of a local pet store. I cleaned away the worst of the old glue and used epoxy to glue the canister back together.

Since I only took a couple of photos during the process, we'd all be grateful if you'd take more than I did and post them here for the benefit of others.

Cheers,

Don

93SB (08-06-2020)
Old 12-31-2018, 11:42 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you so much for your advice, Don. I took the canister lid off just like you suggested and refilled it with aquarium activated carbon (something I hadn't played with in years - since my days as a guppy farmer ). Unfortunately, there were some cracks on the canister from an earlier impact that I wasn't able to repair with any level of reliability, and when I saw one on eBay for $50, I snagged it right up.

I want to take the opportunity to thank you and the others who share so much valuable information here for all you do. I've seen a lot of your work here and elsewhere, and it's truly appreciated. I can't tell you exactly when I fell in love with these babies, but it must've been when I was just a kid, watching a 1960's E-class drive by. As I got older, every Jaguar I saw, whether vintage or new, ragtop or sedan, looked perfect. I finally got ahold of this one (1990 XJ6 sovereign), and I look forward to driving it and taking care of it (and others) for a long time. Being able to read these threads has made a tremendous difference.

Happy New Year,

Chicho

The following 2 users liked this post by chicho:
Don B (12-31-2018), jerry_hoback (01-01-2019)
Old 07-29-2020, 03:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Don B
Hi Loomis,

I suspect the charcoal canister setup on our '93 six-cylinder is probably similar to yours, so it's possible the photos at the link below may help. The photos deal with replacing the purge valve, but the hoses attached to the charcoal canister are shown:

I also rebuilt our charcoal canister and there are a couple of photos here:

Another possible source of fuel vapors in the passenger compartment is a leak at the top of the fuel tank or at the evaporative flange on top of the tank. If you smell fuel when you open the trunk, it would be worth removing the spare tire and jack and the trim panel that covers the fuel tank. Sniff for fuel along the top of the tank where there is a foam sound insulation pad.

Please keep us informed.

Cheers,

Don
None of the images are still opening.... Could u please help with the connection of my cac 6739...

Old 07-29-2020, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Nakkoush
None of the images are still opening.... Could u please help with the connection of my cac 6739...
Hi Nakkoush,

Unfortunately the large images at the Jag-Lovers forum have still not been moved to the new servers, and I do not have easy access to my original photos. If you have a carbon canister installed in your car, it's a simple matter to match up the hose connections from the old canister to the new one.

Please visit the New Member Area - Intro a MUST and post a required introduction so we can learn something about you and your Jaguar and give you a proper welcome.

Cheers,

Don

93SB (08-06-2020)