XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 09:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default check engine light

having problems starting the car, it takes several tries to start the car - once starts it runs great? when i turn it off and let set for couple of days that's when i have problems .

engine light stays on the whole time

any suggestions ?

Old 03-08-2018, 09:40 AM
Received 12,737 Likes on 6,379 Posts

Originally Posted by yezidnatera
having problems starting the car, it takes several tries to start the car - once starts it runs great? when i turn it off and let set for couple of days that's when i have problems .

engine light stays on the whole time

any suggestions?

Hi yezidnatera,

Welcome to the Jaguar Forums! It's great to have you with us.

My first suggestion would be to please let us know the year, model and engine of your Jaguar. Causes of hard starting can vary by model, so you've left us in a position of guessing. It is most helpful if you use your User Control Panel (User CP) to Edit Your Signature and add these details about your Jaguar: Year, Model, Engine Displacement, and Mileage. That way, others won't have to ask before offering accurate replies.

The most common cause of hard starting is low battery voltage while cranking. You can test this with a standard volt/ohmmeter, though some meters do not react quickly enough to display the actual voltage sag while cranking. Most auto parts stores can load-test your battery for free.

If your Jaguar is an XJ40 (1987-1994 XJ6), another common issue is corrosion on the battery power connections and ground points throughout the car. At the link in my signature are photo albums showing these connections and how to clean them.

Another common issue is a failing Crankshaft Position Sensor (CPS). When the engine is hard to start, watch the tachometer to confirm it is showing about 200 rpm while cranking. If it shows 0 rpm while cranking, suspect the CPS.

If your car is an XJ40, you may be able to retrieve stored Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) from the Vehicle Condition Monitor (VCM). To do so, turn the key to position II (ON/RUN) but do not crank the engine. Press and release the VCM button on the trip computer to the right of the steering wheel. Watch the small display window below the speedometer where the odometer/mileage display usually appears. DTCs appear in the form of FF or Fuel Fault and a one- or two-digit number, such as FF8, or Fuel Fault 69. Write down any message that appears and post it here and we'll try to help.

There are lots of reference documents and a huge member knowledgebase here, so please tell us about your car and we'll try to help.

Also, please visit the New Member Area - Intro a MUST and post a required introduction so we can learn something about you and your Jaguar and give you a proper welcome.

Cheers,

Don

The following users liked this post:
MountainMan (03-11-2018)