XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

couple of questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 05:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default couple of questions

1. how do u guys wash ur engine?
2. does anyone knows the part # or name for the "module" (i guess thats what it is) that is attached to the "shifter", i believe all it does is send the signal to the speedometer, so the car tells u what shift u on. (I HOPE SOMEONE UNDERSTANDS WHAT IM TALKIN ABOUT) LOL
3. is there an aftermarket "better" door handle? (outside)
4. how can i find a battery leak?

i have been working on this beast for over 4 months now. why do i love a car that i have not been able to drive is beyond me, i hope is not like the time i hunt a girl for almost a year n when finally got her in bed was soo dissapointed lol

Old 10-07-2011, 01:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Model and year might help the guys.

1, don't wash the engine, use spray bottle and brushes.
2, can't remember.
3, I suppose you could drill and bolt on any door handle you choose. Might not look so good though.
4, Dry the outside of the battery, and examine it to see where the acid is coming from. Maybe wear gloves though.

Others will chime in.

Old 10-07-2011, 01:28 PM
Veteran member
Received 329 Likes on 258 Posts

lazzy:
I detailed my engine last year with degreasers, a hose, and some brushes. You have to be careful around a couple of bits, but it can be done. I did (be forewarned!) throw a few codes and eventually had to replace a vacuum solenoid to the tune of $75 or thereabouts. For that I could have had it professionally done! Youtube has got some tutorials.

You may be talking about the "Rotary" switch OR you may be talking about another little part called the transmission control module. The first is attached to the side of the gearbox, the second is under the dash. Re-reading what you wrote, is it possible you could be talking about the Throttle Position Sensor? We'll need a bit more info.

Jaguar improved the reliability of the doorhandles on the later model cars. Others will be able to say whether they are swappable or if there is an aftermarket fix. My 91 hasn't had any problems.

Richard is right if you truly mean "leak." I thought you meant "drain" - which is a whole other story.

"Hunting girls" on the other hand... With a wife and several children, who's got time!?

Scott

Old 10-07-2011, 05:24 PM
Talking

thanks for the quick reply

more deteail im talking about the part that goes attached to the gearbox, has 2 screws and a "pin" (mine is broken) that goes in to the gearbox. actually i just assumed that this part does what i said it does, because i took out and by moving it it "clicks" 7 times equal to the 7 positions for the shifter (hope this helps) will work on car this weeked ill post some pics

i would like to get original or as close to original, i remember reading somewhere about "better" or improved ones being available but i cannot find any

im talking about a drain, i took battery to autozone n they charged it n said it was good battery is only 3 months old so it seems to me like its draining somehow

about hunting girls it was a joke lol i just hope after puttin all this time, effort and some $ into this car i dont get dissapointed as the ride because it sat for so long

thanks again

Old 10-09-2011, 02:45 PM
Veteran member
Received 329 Likes on 258 Posts

lazzy,

If I'm following you, you may have fiddled with the rotary switch. (Did you have to remove a 'shield' before you gained access?) If so, and if it's broken, you will both need a replacement part AND a probably a professional to install it. It must be done and "indexed" with a special Jaguar tool that most of us don't have lying around. Beyond saying that, my knowledge is exhausted.

A battery drain I suppose could be coming from a number of places. I'd google that for general info and search the archives for things that may be specifically related to the XJ40.

cheers,
Scott

Old 10-09-2011, 06:27 PM
Received 7,878 Likes on 4,762 Posts

And still no MAKE, MODEL, YEAR!

Old 10-09-2011, 08:29 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

+2 What make, model and year of car do you drive or wish you drove?

Old 10-11-2011, 06:45 PM
Default The car I have but have not been able to drive lol

1988 jaguar xj6 vanden plas
Thanks for all advice

Old 11-18-2011, 09:38 PM

Hi guys I'm back to the jag so hard to find time to spend with this ugly beauty lol well here is the progress so far: drove the car about 20 miles to the carwash it drove decently until I parked then the sucker wouldn't start so I left it at the wash station.

Anyways back to the situation I am in I believe I need the fuel pressure regulator. I still need that part that goes on the side of the gear selector n I cannot find it anywhere. I will be working on the car tomorrow, any ideas how to temporarily fix the regulator? Til I get new one hopefully Tuesday I just want to b able to wash the car real good bef snow comes plus my sweet neighbor is trying to get it towed away as it doesn't meets the "standards" of the complex the biatch drives a 93 corolla :# anyways if anyone could help me find this part it would b so greatly appreciated as of right now I have to move the metal piece to the side to make contact in order to start

Thanks!!!

Old 11-19-2011, 02:56 PM

Rockauto.com shows a fuel pressure regulator part #PR172 for $39.79.

For your battery drain issue:

1. Disconnect the battery positive.
2. Put a meter that can read current (amps) draw between the positive cable and the battery positive. (Key off and all acc turned off.)
3. Systematically pull fuses until you see a big drop in current draw. (I would go after non-ecu fuses first.)
4. Investigate the circuit that is drawing the battery down. (Or leave the fuse out if its something unnecessary.)

This method works much better on pre-computerized cars, but it should still get you looking in the right direction. Too bad these cars have more fuses than the rockets that carried man to the moon!!