XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Diagnostics with Snap On MTG 2500

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 12:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diagnostics with Snap On MTG 2500

I am starting back to work on restoration of my 88 Vanden Plas, 3.6L. I swapped engine about 2 years ago as I blew original up un 2004. Cooling fan came apart and went through radiator, running WOT on I 40 through the Painted Desert in Arizona - at night - no other traffic.

Car has been sitting for a several years before I swapped engine, and due to relocating and work, I am just getting back to it. It will start and run, but has several issues.

Slow to start, and I suspect fuel pressure but not certain. Plugs, wires, rotor and cap were new when I swapped engine. Is there any way to connecct a Snap On MTG 2500 to ECU to monitor engine sensors? I just picked up MTG while rebuilding Dodge project truck.

Also getting fueling error, brake pads (wires are missing), electrical fault, and a few others. Have not started to trace and eliminate these yet.

I attempted rebuild of Power Brake servo, but appears it is leaking again and replacements are silly expensive. Looking for opinions on vacuum booster. I have seen kits for this with owner supplying booster, but of all the mech work I have done, I have never dealt with a booster. Any particular make/model that works best? Will nearly anything fit? I located a 85 XJ6 for a donor, but owner has not responded to my offer. Will this vacuum booster work?

Rats have chewed up some wiring such as front ABS wiring and brake pad sensors. Where can someone find the electricl connectors to complete this rewiring? I would like to keep it as close to original as possible, but I cannot see paying nearly $200 for each cable, and the connectors for bothe the sensor and the cable to the source are both gone.

The AC is not working. I am not certain whether the condenser was damaged when fan exploded, but have a new one to install. I have locaed several TSB on this site and see that compressor needs to have seal replaced for 134a conversion. Has anyone changed refrigerant over without changing seal? If so, what was result? I have done a number of other conversions without modifying compressor with no problems, but my luck, this one will slam me. Other option would be to replace compressor from the beginning. Other than the obvious $200 cost of compressor, it is in the worst location on these cars.

I have added a few photos of where I am starting. There are several rust spots, specifically around the windshield and roof that I will be addressing in the spring when I do the paint and body. A lot of the clear coat is peeling off as well. I hope to have this ready to paint by March - should have three vehicles ready to paint at that time! (The mirror that is taped on had been replaced - cows at my dad's farm have no respect for fine automobiles!)

Name:  100_0735.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  206.4 KB

Name:  Jag88VDP.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  3.6 KB

Interior will also need a significant amount of work, including wood trim, upholstery, carpet, and knee panel under dash. Got very dusty sitting in barn for couple of years. Will take some effort pulling panels, interior components and such to get dirt out. Don't want to just blow it around as It will get into the worst places!

Name:  100_0741.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  110.5 KB

Any help and suggestions along the way will be greatly appreciated. I have pretty good mechanical skills on domestic vechiles (engine rebuilds, manual and automatic transmissions, suspension - including lifts on trucks) but am limited (OK, other than engine swap and a few minor things) on British cars. I have downloaded several documents here, have a Haynes Manual as well as the CD set from Jaguar Heritage.

Glenn

Last edited by gdstok; 11-24-2011 at 07:12 PM.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:25 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Hello,

I've had great success finding parts with the local wreckers. You never know what any wrecker has so check it out.

The savings are huge and in some cases the parts are no longer available for sale at all...

This should keep you busy. Good luck.

Old 12-21-2011, 12:43 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Also,

Regarding the diagnostic tool. I believe these cars can only be diagnosed with the proprietary Jaguar JDS tool. If there is another way I'd be very interested in knowing or even if I can somehow buy the tool (I plan on keeping my XJ40 for as long as possible).

Up until 1994 the diag system is OBDI (1). There are many OBDII (2) scanners out there but they won't talk to the early years if I'm correct.

I am surprised I have been unable to locate a JDS tool but will keep searching. I am chasing a FF23 code that is driving me insane.

Cheers!