XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Dreaded bushing noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 03:33 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Dreaded bushing noise

Ok I have figured out (thanks to this site and some great posts from Don) how to replace the front shock bushings but I have 2 questions.

1) how likely is it that the shocks themselves need to be replaced (not noticing any weird handling issues or bounce)
2) I have been looking at parts on Jagbits and they have 2 bushing kits. I may answer my own question here since I have emailed them, but, does either kit come with the washers etc? and is one set better than the other (one is 2 x more expensive).

In any event I need to get the bushings replaced as I looked underneath and there is literally just a rubberband sized piece of the bushings left. Of course I have the rattle over bumps too. Thought it was inside the car but thanks to you fellows I looked at the bushings and... well bob's your uncle.

Just for reference 1992 Vanden Plas vin SAJKY174XNC651272

On a side note is there a way to tell if the SLS has been removed from the car? I can't tell but rear seems fine.

Old 10-28-2014, 03:41 PM

looks like maybe the 94+ is a different shock (the more expensive one) and the correct part number is Jaguar SHOCK ABSORBER, FRONT, BOGE - MMD2140AB-OE... is that right?

Old 10-28-2014, 06:53 PM
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Shocks

Not sure of the actual part numbers but when I got shocks for my 94 I think there were 2 choices -regular and a sport version for the stiffer suspension.I replaced mine at 70,000 because the bushings were gone and one rear shock had stiffened up.Replacing them made a big difference in ride and steering feel.You don't mention how many miles are on the car but if the shocks are the originals I think you will see a big difference in replacing them.If the SLS system-do you mean the hydraulic system- has been removed the lines going to the shock would be disconected.The original shock would have been replaced with a non hydraulic type.If you remove a rear wheel you should be able to see the shock assembly and whether the lines are connected or not.And the shocks I got-Bilsteins-came with new bushings and washers as part of the kit.

Last edited by NEO Cat; 10-28-2014 at 07:04 PM. Reason: New correct info
Old 10-28-2014, 10:00 PM
Received 12,768 Likes on 6,396 Posts

Originally Posted by Rutty
1) how likely is it that the shocks themselves need to be replaced (not noticing any weird handling issues or bounce)

Hi Rutty,

You can test your shocks by pressing down forcefully on a corner and letting go, and watching to see how many times the car bounces. If it bounces 1-1/2 times or less, your shocks may still be functioning well enough. If you count much more than 1-1/2 bounces, then it's probably time for new shocks.

2) I have been looking at parts on Jagbits and they have 2 bushing kits. I may answer my own question here since I have emailed them, but, does either kit come with the washers etc? and is one set better than the other (one is 2 x more expensive).
I can't speak for Jagbits, but on our '88 I installed Bilstein front shocks, and on our '93 I installed Boge front shocks and Sachs rear shocks, and all the new shocks came with new washers, nuts and the two cylindrical yellow foam isolator bushes.

I was not happy with the Bilsteins I put on our '88. They were too firm and harsh. They may have been "Sport" tuned. On our '93 I used OE Boges instead, and they are great. The Sachs I put on the rear were found at a bargain price on eBay, and they're excellent too. Boge and Sachs are now both owned by ZF, the German conglomerate that made the transmissions and steering racks in many of our XJ40s.

In any event I need to get the bushings replaced as I looked underneath and there is literally just a rubberband sized piece of the bushings left. Of course I have the rattle over bumps too.
Replacing just the front upper bushings is relatively easy. Below is a link to photos:

Welcome to Jag-lovers - Members Photo Viewing Page

Cheers,

Don

The following users liked this post:
93SB (01-10-2021)
Old 10-28-2014, 11:37 PM

I think I'm just going to go ahead and replace the shocks as well it couldn't hurt. As far as the place jag bits has always done good for me unless somebody has a much cheaper solution I'll just stick with them looks like around a hundred and fifty Per side and that should do it.

Old 11-01-2014, 09:29 PM
Jeh
Received 174 Likes on 119 Posts

FWIW. I replace the shock bushings 3x on my XJ in a period of about 2 years. The aftermarket bushings just didnt hold up. I finally just replaced the shocks, and they were a little soft anyway and the bushings with the new shocks seem to have held better.