XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Faulty Temp Gauge???

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 05:27 PM
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Faulty Temp Gauge???

Hi guys/gals :-)

Been a while, but I am back for more expert help. Here is the main issue now. This is for my 1994 XJ12/40 Jaguar.

Question #1 - For months now, my temp gauge will show that the engine is getting hot (it might move 1-2 marks above the "N") but it would always come back down. Now...this only happens every once in a while which is why I am puzzled. Somedays I drive for miles and the temp needle stays on "N" just like it should, but other days it will jerk around and move up a couple notches above. It does not matter whether it is a cold or hot day out...it is random.

So, the other day I took just a small 8 mile journey out of town and all was fine on the way there but on the way back I happened to glance down and the temp gauge was almost to the RED this time which made me really get nervous. However, in any other vehicle that I have owned in my lifetime, when that has happend usually others things accomidate it such as that burning coolant smell (like wrotten pancakes) or the motor will start to preform different or you can feel the heat from the hood of the car along with steam of some kind.

Well, when I got home, I left the car running and got out to smell it and feel the hood and here is the kicker...everything was fine. I couldn't even smell hot air at all...no steam...motor running like a baby.

The only odd sign in the gauge I have seen is that when it does do this, it "jerks" instead of the needle moving smoothly...it kind jerks it's way up and then jerks it's way back down.

So, would you say a faulty gauge or a "sender" unit somwhere. Please let me know what ya think. I want to get this annoyance taken care of this week because I am tired of having my blood pressure shoot sky high when I look at that gauge and it shows HOT!!! LOL

Question #2 - When you guys start your car, where does it normally idle at before kicking down? Mine always idles up to almost 1700 and stays there for like a minute or two before slowly coming down to about 7-800. Is this normal or do I need something checked there as well?

Question #3 - Could I trust any regular shop to do a radiator flush and fill on my Jag? Are there any hidden tricks or secrets that they could mess up? Also if it is a sending unit that is messing up my temp gauge would a normal shop know how to do this as well???

All help really appreciated at this time. I need these issues gone asap!!! LOL

Please and thanks folks :-)

peace out,
daddy

Old 05-19-2010, 04:48 PM
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

So nobody loves me anymore??? LOL Anybody have any ideas?

peace out,
daddylogan

Old 05-19-2010, 06:20 PM
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

If you want to be sure of your temperature get an after market mechanical guage (stewart warner ,sun,or auto meter). install it near the water return line (near the thermostat) it will monitor your temperature spot on. You might be able to use the hole in the thermostst housing to mount it. hope this helps you out

Old 05-20-2010, 02:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Hi, it's not that we don't love you any more, it's just that we don't know enough to give you a quick fix, (certainly me anyway).

However, a while back Blackjack posted a very intersting thread about temp gauge issues with his V12 XJS. Whilst this is a different car to yours, the articles should prove to be an interesting read for you, and give you some assistance as to how to check for a problem.

Here is the link... Temp Gauge Wars....