XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

LHM oil fill tube

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 11:18 PM
Received 97 Likes on 66 Posts
Default LHM oil fill tube

All, I'm trying to figure out how to get a replacement bottle of LHM plus with the fill tube. The bottles available today don't come with it.

Any DIY tips to figure this out?

Thanks

Old 05-21-2018, 09:26 AM
Received 12,737 Likes on 6,379 Posts

Originally Posted by alabbasi
All, I'm trying to figure out how to get a replacement bottle of LHM plus with the fill tube. The bottles available today don't come with it.

Hi alabbasi,

From you question I assume you have an early XJ40 that originally used green Castrol Hydraulic System Mineral Oil (HSMO)? Castrol apparently no longer makes it, and the currently available options include TRW LHM Plus HSMO and Valvoline LHM Plus Hydraulic Oil, but those bottles do not come with the tube and dispensing tip to help get the oil into the small hole of the reservoir.

A few options available at many auto parts stores come to mind. The type with a long tube and narrower tip that screws onto standard quart bottles:

Or the pump type:

Or the bottle type:

The hole in the HSMO reservoir is pretty small, so even with one of the above options you might need to improvise or use a small funnel:

Available from sources like this:

https://cdn.pipingrock.com/images/pr...RGWdd26jM3.jpg

By the way, it is extremely helpful if you add the year, model and engine of your Jaguar to your signature so it shows up in all of your posts. To do so, use your User Control Panel (User CP link above left), find Edit Signature in the left column, add your car's details and save your signature.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 05-21-2018 at 01:34 PM.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:16 AM
Received 97 Likes on 66 Posts

Thanks, for the application that I'm using, there is a ball the filler opening that prevents a regular tube to be used for filling. You have to press down on ball but in doing so, you block the hole of the tube that you're using to fill. Maybe a hard plastic funnel might do the job.

I'm guessing that the tip built into the original fill tube is designed to depress the ball on the filler and fill at the same time.

http://www.caarparts.co.uk/Styles/CA...ges/14CFBA.JPG