XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

More fuel Pump Woes

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 12:04 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default More fuel Pump Woes

So I went to O'Reilley and got a 100 buck fuel pump to try and remedy the vaporlocking issue. Was an Airtex or something, anyways worked better for a while. Didn't seem to change anything at first and then the car started to fire right up for the most part. Then it got hard to start again and I was back at square one.

Yesterday I was comming home from a little shopping in town and I stop at the store to grab a refreshing adult beverage. Come out go to leave and the car started right up and then hesetated and would not respond and stall when I gave it gas. I knew right away it was starved of fuel and the familiar whine of the fuel pump was not on except at the initial power on stage. 20 mins later she decided to work again.

I am guessing it overheated like the stock pumps seem to do (and mind you the previous car owner had the same idea, as it did not have the stock pump on it, it had a Bosch). Was ot a hot day however. Also when I unhooked the suction line from the pressure regulator fuel splatters out, is this normal?

So here is my question I really need a Jag mechanics help here I really don't want to drop the 500 plus to fix an until now hard start problem. I know jaguars solution is to piggy back two pumps together, is this as easy as putting some tee's on the ends of the fuel lines and running them in parallel? Will moving/insulating the pump from the hot muffler it sits right next to help? Or will buying a high quality pump fix the deal.

I mean why don't I hear about this problem in other vehicles with inline pumps?

If you have the Official Jaguar fuel pump fix conversion kit to sell me I will buy, also if anyone has an egr valve solenoid for cheap I need one of them too Also need a new accumulator, I think mine has about had it, pump fires up for a second every time the brake is pressed.

Last edited by gunnerman; 07-12-2010 at 12:18 AM.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:20 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Well after researching the pressure regulator, sounds like thats the issue. Car fits all the symptoms. Sounds like my problemo