XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Need help from Certified Jag Technicians 89 XJ40

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 11:35 AM
Received 248 Likes on 170 Posts
Default Need help from Certified Jag Technicians 89 XJ40

Hello,

I've been trying to track down schematics for the early model XJ40 security system components. I own a set of the JDHT CD-rom manuals, but cannot find schematics for the security components.

I would like to have a schematic that indicates the related connectors and relationship with other components such as the IR receiver and the motion sensor to the central processor.

I don't need the locking schematics, got those.

I'm not positive, but I believe most security systems were added by dealerships per customized order. The system is in disrepair right now, I can't get any of the functions to work properly and I'm just wondering if the problem is the central processor. At one time, years ago, the system did fully function, such as headlights on, siren, motion-shock sensor being tripped and setting off both the warning and full alarm conditions.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited by Rob Evenson; 03-14-2014 at 11:37 AM.
Old 03-14-2014, 02:00 PM
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Rob

Could you possibly have the use of the standard IR and an RF system that was installed by the dealer? I removed the dealer installed security system from my car when I got it (No FOB to activate it) It was hacked into the existing wiring harness. the fact that you have both IR and RF Remotes for your car , points to this.
IR was standard and the security system was an upgrade option(RF) . that would explain you having both FOB's systems. I still have the Jaguar security system from my car and will see if there was a reciver in system somewhere. I know there was a battery as part of the assy also. I still have it.
I hope a JAGTECH can clear all this up for you.

Last edited by Greykitty; 03-14-2014 at 02:09 PM.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:24 PM

Greykitty,

I had the same thought about having dual remote systems, then I thought that was just a preposterous idea!!!

But the fact remains, the RF (square) fobs are the ones I used when I purchased the car from the PO. Didn't even touch the IR fobs until a few years ago when the system quit working.

BTW, in regard to the RF fobs, you are correct, the stamp on top of the silver component does say 433.

Old 03-15-2014, 02:07 PM

Rob
I just this morning pulled the box down off the shelf and laid it out on the floor.
Yep ....there is a black box with a 8" single wire coming out of it..antenna RF.
there is also a box for motion detector and a 6volt battery. I found the factory brochures. and the company is SPECIFIC CRUISE SYSTEMS INC.
..Ft.Worth,texas
call them for info.
I will send you my old system if you find you need something. it will never go back in anything I own.

update:
The brochure says the IR system is disabled by the dealership during installation of the RF system. Just FYI...I opened up the alarm system box to look at the receiver...
The RF receiver board has dip switches also...good news for you , to match up position.
also a 3 amp fuse is in the harness of the alarm system.. within 3" of the box.

Last edited by Greykitty; 03-16-2014 at 01:25 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Rob Evenson (03-17-2014)
Old 03-17-2014, 03:45 AM
Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

I don't know if it is of any help...
I do have schematics in my workshop manual that include the I/R system if that is what you are after....
I do not believe there is anything about R/F system though....
As far as I knew they only came out with the I/R...... the R/F I would think was aftermarket, as stated possibly dealership added.

The workshop manual I have covers the schematics for 2.9, 3.2, 3.6 and 4.0 ltr engines respectively.
I can scan them and post on here if this will help.

Just finished looking through the schematics.....
It seems the only ones with the I/R receiver included in the schematics are the 2.9 and 4.0 ltr's
I should imagine they would be almost the same.

Last edited by red_101au; 03-17-2014 at 03:59 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Rob Evenson (03-17-2014)
Old 03-17-2014, 09:29 AM

Robert,

Please do send what ever you have. I think you have my email already, or send it in a pm on the forum. Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted by red_101au
I don't know if it is of any help...
I do have schematics in my workshop manual that include the I/R system if that is what you are after....
I do not believe there is anything about R/F system though....
As far as I knew they only came out with the I/R...... the R/F I would think was aftermarket, as stated possibly dealership added.

The workshop manual I have covers the schematics for 2.9, 3.2, 3.6 and 4.0 ltr engines respectively.
I can scan them and post on here if this will help.

Just finished looking through the schematics.....
It seems the only ones with the I/R receiver included in the schematics are the 2.9 and 4.0 ltr's
I should imagine they would be almost the same.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:37 AM

Greykitty,

Thanks for the generous offer, and going the extra yard in your research efforts, really appreciate it.

When you have opportunity, could you take a few pics of the components you have in the box? I can't say that I've seen the box with antennae, but I have seen, what I think is the motion sensor, mine is located under the steering column and has a single white connector to it.

Where was the box w/antennae located?

I've read somewhere there was a back-up battery for the system, but I don't know where that is either, unless it's contained within the motion/chock sensor housing..... is it?

Originally Posted by Greykitty
Rob
I just this morning pulled the box down off the shelf and laid it out on the floor.
Yep ....there is a black box with a 8" single wire coming out of it..antenna RF.
there is also a box for motion detector and a 6volt battery. I found the factory brochures. and the company is SPECIFIC CRUISE SYSTEMS INC.
..Ft.Worth,texas
call them for info.
I will send you my old system if you find you need something. it will never go back in anything I own.

update:
The brochure says the IR system is disabled by the dealership during installation of the RF system. Just FYI...I opened up the alarm system box to look at the receiver...
The RF receiver board has dip switches also...good news for you , to match up position.
also a 3 amp fuse is in the harness of the alarm system.. within 3" of the box.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:58 AM
Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Hey Rob.....
I have sent scans of my workshop manual schematics to your email address...
I hope they are clear enough for you to read.....

Old 03-17-2014, 12:14 PM

Rob
The box with the receiver and also a Battery box (the two are together) IIRC are mounted on the passenger side and visible when you take the big panel under the glove box off. It will measure about 8"x6" x2" with a small black plastic box on the top fastened to it. (battery is inside that. The motion detector from my car also had one white 3 pin flat connector. The battery is a small 6 volt. I will take a picture of that also... If it weren't still snowing here , I would go down to the car and match up the mounting brackets to be sure. I will take picture of the whole system / harness tomorrow at work. I was going to CAD a schematic anyway. Not a lot to it. Can you send your email PM or should I just post all these pictures on the forum?

Old 03-17-2014, 12:59 PM

Greykitty,

Why don't you post them in the thread for the benefit of all. Amazing, 25 years later and the XJ40 is still reveling mysteries....

Old 03-17-2014, 06:37 PM

Rob
this is the box you will find under your dash...battery 6volt is in the top box and the RF receiver card and micro processor are both in the bottom box.
Jaguar 87 92 XJ6 Antitheft Security Control Module Computer 1987 1988 1989 1990 | eBay

BTW ... I found the inventors picture (Neal Shields 1988 ) of HIM holding the Receiver box with the white antenna wire extended... Yea I saved it.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:09 PM

Greykitty,

Well I can tell from the picture that when I reinstalled it (had to take my dash out for repair) I missed one of the connectors, thus why its not working. Have to check it out this week. I don't recall the antennae, but it's has been a while since I put it back in.

Rob
this is the box you will find under your dash...battery 6volt is in the top box and the RF receiver card and micro processor are both in the bottom box.
Jaguar 87 92 XJ6 Antitheft Security Control Module Computer 1987 1988 1989 1990 | eBay

BTW ... I found the inventors picture (Neal Shields 1988 ) of HIM holding the Receiver box with the white antenna wire extended... Yea I saved it.

Old 03-21-2014, 06:51 PM

ROB...
Looked at my alarm system and you did find the motion detector...small flat white connector going into a small black box. did plugging that connector that you missed fix your problems? do you still Want a picture of the motion detector?

Old 03-21-2014, 07:52 PM

Greykitty,

Nope, if that's the box, then no need for the pic. One question though, the white connector, which slot is it in, the one closer to the firewall or closer to the driver?

ROB...
Looked at my alarm system and you did find the motion detector...small flat white connector going into a small black box. did plugging that connector that you missed fix your problems? do you still Want a picture of the motion detector?

Old 03-23-2014, 10:54 AM

Rob
It will Only fit on the 3 pin , the other one is a 4 pin. Sending pics of the whole system to My Album.

Old 03-27-2014, 06:44 PM

Rob

I found a wiring layout today for the SECURITY SYSTEM .... It does not show IR system at all , also shows a trunk release relay.
don't know if you still need it or not. I compared it to my harness and it matches up..
although there is one unanswered CONNECTOR/QUESTION ...2 pin clear connector in the harness ..with yellow wires and real close to the receiver/processor box. Its called PASSIVE LINK on the schematic. and I don't have a mate for it in the parts car. I was wondering if anything ever plugs into it??

on a different note , the plastic is broken in two places on the left bumper piece I have. I will send it to you if you don't need the plastic.

Last edited by Greykitty; 03-27-2014 at 06:54 PM.