XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

New guy looking for input.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 04:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy looking for input.

As I said, I'm a new guy, so if I'm out of line, I apologize.

I've wanted a Jag, specifcally an XJS since the '70's. Now I've done all the safe and responsible family man things, I'm in the position to buy one. It's a 1988 V12, low mileage, low price, very well taken care of, garaged in winter etc. It's being sold by I guy I know, so I don't expect any problems.

The only thing holding me back is the fact that another guy I know is selling a 1986 XJ6, same mileage, same price, also taken care of extremely well.

I'm wondering if the XJ6 might be a better move, since there are many more of them than XJS's, not to mention the fact that some XJ6 owners don't take care of the car the way XJS owners do, which means parts may be easier to find, or at least a 'parts car' would be relatively cheap. For every XJS for sale, I find at least 5 XJ6's for sale much, much, cheaper than the XJS's are.

Any thoughts or input? Would the XJS cost more in the long run, or is there really no difference as far as finding parts goes?

Thanks in advance
Richard Kugler

Old 04-06-2010, 03:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Can't comment on the availability of breaker XJS's in your location but there are many parts suppliers out there for both types of cars, including our sponsor Ken@britishparts.com.

Just remember that the V12 is a more complicated setup with twice as many of everything.

If both cars are in the same condition and at the same price then one is either expensive or the other one is cheap.

As with all of these older cars you are going to have some issues at some point, but the guys in the Forums are more than able to help you out.

Which one would I go for? The XJS and keep my fingers crossed. You say that you have done all the reponsible things; now might be the time to let your remaining hair down a little as it were.

I'm sure others will chime in.

Cheers,

Old 04-06-2010, 05:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

The XJS is really a rebodied XJ6/12, as the transmission and suspension components front and rear are identical apart from spring rates and the diff ratio, but the XJS only had the V12 until the all-aluminium AJ6 6-cylinder engine came out in the mid-eighties. This new engine (also fitted to the XJ40 series of XJ6s), enabled Jaguar to sell more XJSs in the UK and Europe as the V12 fuel consumption was unacceptable in such a high fuel price location.

I think when you take a look at the V12 in your friend's car you will be impressed; it is a magnificent piece of engineering. So if you want a distinctive car go for the XJS provided he can demonstrate he has taken care of it, (invoice for services, repairs etc). Be aware that as a pre-Ford car, it is unlikely to be totally trouble-free. The Jaguar car company was run on a shoestring and it took Ford money to get the production machinery up-to-date. The V12 was made on fairly modern machinery (late 60s) whereas the 6s were produced on 1940s stuff, and secondhand at that !

Under Ford, the rear brakes were moved outboard from the early 90s, and a slight restyle was done, but not much else.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks

Thanks for the input. The XJS price is much lower than I've normally seen them go for, especially in decent condition. The guy selling it lives in a rural area where 99% of vehicles are pick-ups and SUV's, he's 68, very well off and has a collection of classic cars, including another XJS that he just bought. He told his daughter that he was concerned that I might drive it during the (very harsh) winter months, which is another indicator of how well he took care of it. The daughter hopes that if I buy it, I'll let her drive it at least once, since dad never let her behind the wheel.
Thanks again, everybody.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,125 Likes on 790 Posts

On a purely guy's guy reaction level- You said youve wanted the XJS since the 70's. You found one. Buy it. Otherwise youll kick yourself forever! And dont forget to enjoy it...

Old 05-05-2010, 02:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

I would go for it, provided you can see it really has been taken care of. A 1988 XJS is based on the XJ6 saloon built from 1968-1985, there were three series, all with the same basic set-up. Your V12 will be an HE so it will be a bit more economical than the previous engine, but there's not much in it, these are thirsty beasties !

All the mechanical stuff is available, although you might have to use a UK supplier. It's also fairly DIY-able, and no pesky complicated electronics !!