XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

New here, picked up a '92 XJ6.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2019, 07:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New here, picked up a '92 XJ6.

I'm new here, I hope this kind of post is acceptable. I just picked up a 1992 XJ6 with ~150k miles. Automatic transmission. 4.0L I6 engine. I grabbed it a little quicker than maybe I ought to have, but the engine bay looks clean, body looks clean, interior looks clean, but for a door panel that is not installed but came with the car. Drive quality seems good. Trans responds healthily, brakes are firm, suspension feels appropriately wafty. Will be paying about a thousand once all's said and done.

I couldn't argue with the price, and everything seemed to fit what the seller was asking. I suppose I'm looking to find out what to watch out for and what to look into on this car.

I'm used to my '88 Volkswagen and this car is pretty different from what I usually work with.

Old 07-02-2019, 07:33 PM
Received 137 Likes on 116 Posts

Hello and welcome. Look at the XJ40 section.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (07-02-2019)
Old 07-02-2019, 08:29 PM
Received 12,725 Likes on 6,373 Posts

Hi Ijgabloo,

Welcome to the Jaguar Forums! It's great to have you with us.

I have moved your post from the forum for the X300 to the forum for the XJ40, which is the Jaguar factory project code for your 1992 XJ6.

To begin getting to know your new Jaguar, check out the links below, which contain a wealth of information on maintenance and repair. The Haynes pdf scan is missing a couple of chapters but is otherwise complete and helpful:

Jag-Lovers XJ40 E-Book

Haynes Jaguar XJ40 Repair Manual

And please visit the New Member Area - Intro a MUST and post a required introduction so we can learn something about you and your Jag and give you a proper welcome.

Cheers,

Don

Old 07-03-2019, 03:29 PM
Received 300 Likes on 182 Posts

Hello, welcome to the forum.

Congratulations on your purchase. I have a '92MY myself, and I think you'll find they're wonderful cars once little things are sorted out. They are unique, however, in that they are the last model year before a major redesign of the XJ40. I know it may be hard to spot the differences between a 1992 and a 1993-1994, but there are MAJOR differences between them. Please be aware of this especially when looking for electrical parts. Connectors won't match, switches won't fit, modules won't work.

1992 is a great year as many, many of the early XJ40 issues were ironed out by then, and Ford had made many quality control improvements to the car. You'll find there's no problematic digital dash to deal with, the power assisted steering/braking systems are much simpler than the earlier models.

Unlike 93+ models, however, we have to deal with no driver's airbag, and automatic seat belts. The seat belts are covered by a lifetime warranty. There is documentation to support this that you can present to your local Jaguar dealer if they try to give you the runaround. The service manager at my own dealer tried to claim that the warranty was only a one-time courtesy repair... Not so! As a word of advise: Do not repair or modify the automatic seat belt system in any way, as Jaguar would just LOVE to have reason to exclude you from the lifetime warranty.

Also 1992 models had many running changes through production. Knowing your VIN number is essential to buying the correct parts. Also, you may want to cross reference parts through multiple sources before purchasing online. I just ordered a set of 4 brake rotors and pads for my 1992 XJ6 from Amazon. Their website stated they fit my 1992 Jaguar XJ6 Sovereign 4.0L, only to find (with the car up in the air and the old rotors off) that they sent rotors that were correct for cars with the Girling brake system and not the newer Teves-designed system that our cars have.

Same goes with things like batteries. Your 1992 most likely was modified with a larger battery tray to fit a bigger battery under the hood. However, every battery catalog I've seen lists the car as using the smaller Group 47 (H5) battery. If your car was modified as mine was, per TSB 3-174, then a Group 48 (H6) battery is correct. The Group 47 will fit, but trust me, you'll want that extra amperage!

JaguarClassicParts.com is a great resource for finding and cross-referencing part numbers for our older Jags. I also have ordered numerous items from them, and the international shipping prices have been reasonable, and DHL delivery amazingly quick! I'm talking 2-3 day shipping time after placing the order... It's an especially useful pace to shop when exchange ranges are favorable. You'll become good friends with the parts guy/lady at your Jaguar dealer. It makes their job a whole lot easier if you can go in with a sheet of part numbers for them to add.

If you're handy, and it's my belief you should be somewhat handy if you'd like to own one of these cars without going broke, many, many repairs can be done on your own. Find a good Jaguar independent mechanic if you can. I remember having the drive belts replaced when I first got the car. I had it done at the dealer... While it was nice sitting in nice leather chairs, snacks and drinks within reach, listening to the yacht salesman bartering over price on a new Range Rover... The $375 bill was not!

Look around, read the huge amount of information at JagRepair.com. The model year guides are very useful in seeing how things evolved with our cars. The XJ6/XJ12 page on that site has many many TSBs you can read up on too.

-Nick

Don B (07-04-2019)
Old 07-03-2019, 04:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for lookin' out! I saw like 3 different XJ6 forum listings. How do the Jaguar naming conventions work? I'm used to cars with names haha.

I'm definitely handier than most regular folk, but I'm not perfect. I know when to look for help. The cost of repairs was for sure a concern of ours, but I knew that Ford was in control in 92 and that gave me some confidence in picking it up.

Additionally, I just got the car home from my mechanic, and he reported that the undercarriage is in decent shape. Only thing he mentioned was that the axle boots were wearing; easy enough to take care of.

Old 07-03-2019, 07:47 PM
Received 300 Likes on 182 Posts

So by axle boots, I'd imagine he's referring to the tie rod end boots, which are a common replacement item with the age of the cars as it is. The rubber dries out and cracks. The rear axle inboard and outboard universal joints are uncovered and have Zerk fittings for lubrication.

Which model XJ6 is it? XJ6, Sovereign (upmarket), or Vanden Plas (higher end)?

The naming is different for each generation XJ6. The XJ40 designation covered models from 1986 to 1994. The XJ81 is the V12 variant of the XJ40, made from 1993-1994. The X300 (and X305 V12 variant) were the 1995-1997MY cars. Before the XJ40 were the Series I, II, and III.

-Nick

Don B (07-04-2019)