XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

New To Me XJ40 (XJ6 VDP)

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 12:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New To Me XJ40 (XJ6 VDP)

Hello gentlemen,

As promised in my initial post on the New Member forum, I am asking for direction/help with the following issues:

1) Right side rear view mirror does not dip when vehicle put in reverse. Manual says it is supposed to but nothing happens.
2) When breaking, vehicle pulls to the left and a BRAKE light comes on, everytime. Changed brake pads about a month ago. Issues persist.
3) Leak on drivers side when it rains. Floor mat is completely soaked every time. Have looked everywhere but no luck. Anyone ever had this issue and were able to resolve?
4) Locks on rear doors work on their own accord. I have not been able to isolate what condition causes this, but it is annoying as heck.
5) Hum, hum, hum...terrible humming. Seems to come from the rear. Just before I received the car I was told a bearing was changed to somewhat aleviate a more severe humming. I really did not pay attention to that nor what was done to the vehicle. Hey, I am not going to look at a gift horse in the mouth, if you know what I mean.
6) Just recently I traveled up north to the UP...family of four, lots of clothing and food. On takeoff, steering wheel vibrated up until around 50mph. After that smooth. This past weekend I noticed a clunk on the front driver's side. Not sure what it is, but happens when going over driveway entrances and whatever potholes are on the road.
7) With the cold weather seems something is up with the cooling system. Start engine, let idle for about 10 minutes, stop engine and there is smoke coming from the engine...and it smells like coolant. Sure, low coolant light is on, but there is enough coolant in the reservoir.
8) Check Engine light on. VCM tells me FUEL 14 FAIL 14. Research says is a coolant sensor. Just want to verify with you.
9) Rough idle. Entire car vibrates a lot, seems more than normal. What should I look into first and next?
10) Climate control does not seem to produce enough heat, i.e., foggy windows, must have fan at full blast but only windshield clears and nothing is felt below on the foot area.

I think that is it for now.

Thanks in advance,

Ric.

Old 12-28-2008, 04:38 PM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: New To Me XJ40 (XJ6 VDP)

9. I would start with the basics plugs, wires, cap and rotor also the air filter at a minimum. The downside to getting a new car is not always knowing the true state of the basic maintenance. I just got mine and I ordered all that and more for her. It's always good to know where you stand on the basic items.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, well, well......just found last night what one of the vibrations was...front driver side, outer wheel bearing....completely gone. Now whatever remains is not coming off. Do I need special tools to remove the inner part of the outer bearing? How about the inner bearing? Also, I am planning on R&R all wheel bearings.

For those who want to know where from the car came: https://www.jaguarforums.com/m_83448/tm.htm

Mileage: 87334......

Wrecks: yesterday my wife put the car in a ditch....that is when the bearing issue was discovered....this car and snow do not get along very well.....

Old 01-16-2009, 12:02 PM
Received 137 Likes on 116 Posts

2) Sounds like the right front caliper is lazy. You can buy rebuilt ones from $60 each. (I would recommendbuy them in pairs)Did you replace the rear pads/wear sensors as well? Remember that XJ40's have wear sensors on all four wheels. If you rear pads are low it will flicker the light when braking also.