XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Not much A/C air flow.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 02:58 PM
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Not much A/C air flow.

I just spent a lot of $ getting my A/C compressor fixed and it now blows cool air.... but not much. The fans sound like they are up to speed but not a whole lot of cool coming out. Not enough for when it gets hot here in South anyway. I am guessing that the one thing I think may be the problem is the ducting that is supposed to direct the air to the face vents/leg vent etc. may not be opened completely and most of the cool air is going ??? Since I have only owned this car for about 5 weeks I am still learning a lot about the things that can go wrong. If this sounds like a problem you have had and you found a solution, please let me know. I have searched the Forum and have not found a thread that can help. Why I am having trouble with that also is probably because I am barely computer literate. Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Old 05-22-2016, 07:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,854 Likes on 1,180 Posts

Try searching "blend flaps" - I haven't had this problem but I've seen it discussed, main cure seems to be giving the heater core a few whacks, but don't quote me on that!

Could also be that only one of your blowers is working

Larry

The following users liked this post:
dskul1 (05-22-2016)
Old 05-22-2016, 10:24 PM
Received 12,737 Likes on 6,379 Posts

Hi dskul1,

First of all, please add the year, model and engine displacement of your car to your signature line so other members don't constantly have to ask you for that information - it often makes a difference in the correct answer to your question.

My first suspicion would be that one of your blower motors is not working. This is very common. The system is designed with two blowers, one on the left and one on the right. Each blower's air stream is ducted toward the center console, and the force of the two opposing air streams creates the pressure to flow air out of the dash vents.

When one blower motor ceases to operate, for any of several common reasons, you will hear the other blower motor running, but its air stream will travel all the way across the dash and out the fresh air vent for the opposite blower housing.

You can determine if both fans are working by at least two methods. One is to remove the fuse for one blower motor. If the air flow changes, that blower is working. If nothing changes, replace that fuse and pull the fuse for the other blower. If the air flow stops completely, the first blower motor is not working.

The other method is to remove both knee bolsters and use a long screwdriver or ratchet extension as a stethoscope by placing one end on the blower housing and the other at your ear. You will be able to tell if the motor is running, especially if one motor is running and the other isn't.

If your car is an '88 or '89, another possibility is that the seam in the long duct has separated and is allowing the pressurized air to escape from the rear of the dash instead of through the air vents.

If both of your blowers are working and your car is a '90-'94, then it could be a problem with the blend flaps. A very common problem is a seized blend flap gear motor. See the link to my phototorials - I have an entire series of photos on the blend flap operation and adjustment.

Cheers,

Don

The following 3 users liked this post by Don B:
93SB (05-25-2016), broomhall (05-25-2016), dskul1 (06-05-2016)
Old 05-23-2016, 01:06 PM
Jeh
Received 174 Likes on 119 Posts

I'll go another plus one on one of the blowers not working. They make a lot of noise but unless you have your head or hand on it it's hard to tell if it's working.

The unscientific way to check is just give it a gentle kick with your foot and see it winds up. What I have found on mine is the brushes are worn and I have just pulled them out and stretched the springs. That's not to say there may be other issues. The car is 20 plus years old so I'm sure there are. But it's a good place to start

The following users liked this post:
dskul1 (06-05-2016)
Old 06-05-2016, 05:11 PM
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

sorry about the lack of info. I didn't even know about a signature line. I assumed that all XJ40's had the same engine. Thank you for your help.