XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

power antenna

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 06:59 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default power antenna

So I think my power antenna is kaput and I am not sure what to do. I tried to get it to raise manually by connecting a battery to it (at least 12v) and all it does is buzz. No up or down.

I looked up OEM power modules for the XJ40 and OH HOLY HELL they are expensive. If that is the only option I am going to go with a powered fixed antenna from the local auto shop for 40 bucks and call it a day.

Any thoughts? Maybe something I am missing? I haven't had a "radio" for weeks now and it is getting sort of annoying to listen to the same Cd's in the changer over and over.

Has anyone here replaced with a fixed antenna? Got Pics?

Old 05-30-2013, 07:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,853 Likes on 1,179 Posts

I did a similar power driven one on a 94 E-class Mercedes a few years ago, easy job as I remember - bought an after-market unit off eBay, worked fine.

The following users liked this post:
Rutty (05-31-2013)
Old 05-31-2013, 08:51 AM

Does anyone know how good and compatible they really are. I have hear horror stories of "aftermarket" stuff that needed a lot of modification to work.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:20 AM
Veteran member
Received 329 Likes on 258 Posts

My '91 has a replacement unit installed by the PO. It works well but for some reason only extends and retracts with the car being on and off. In other words, it isn't controlled by the radio being turned on. That's annoying at the car wash, but that's about it.

I'd find a replacement unit for cheap.
Scott

Old 05-31-2013, 10:15 AM

Should any aftermarket "universal" antenna work or is there one better than the others?

I am really considering the powered stubby ones from Autozone just so I don't have to deal with it again but I am also enjoying the "stock" look which this wouldnt be.

Old 05-31-2013, 12:19 PM

Ok I went to Captin Jag... and looked at the radio wiring diagram and found my 2 mystery wires. One is up Green with blue and one is down green with red. Went and got a new antenna and by golly it doesn't fit in the stock jag location even with all the "universal mounts" I did try (before I thought about cutting or adapting) and using those the new motor doesn't work either. Tried on a 12 volt source and it made noise but no up or down. Just like the old one.

I am starting to think it is me. The new ones are made for digital inputs and so I would also have to take the radio out and trace the Intermediate for the volume control...

I think I am going to just do a stubby fixed and call it a day. I like a challenge but really this is ridiculous.

Has anyone put a stubby or fixed antenna in the place... what adapter did you use?

Old 05-31-2013, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Rutty
So I think my power antenna is kaput and I am not sure what to do. I tried to get it to raise manually by connecting a battery to it (at least 12v) and all it does is buzz. No up or down.

I looked up OEM power modules for the XJ40 and OH HOLY HELL they are expensive. If that is the only option I am going to go with a powered fixed antenna from the local auto shop for 40 bucks and call it a day.

Any thoughts? Maybe something I am missing? I haven't had a "radio" for weeks now and it is getting sort of annoying to listen to the same Cd's in the changer over and over.

Has anyone here replaced with a fixed antenna? Got Pics?

chances are, the mast has seized and if the motor is still working, it can`t extend the mast, hense the buzzing, OR, the mast has seized, the previous owner has`nt noticed and its burnt the motor out!
masts are available on fleabay, but for some reason, i can`t get on the U.S site. here in the U.K, they are around £25 to give you a guide.

when i first brought my sovereign, the previous owner had actually removed the electric aeriel and fitted a $2 `pull up push down` job. cheap and nasty to say the least. i managed to get a secondhand aeriel, but the mast only came halfway up on it. so, i brought a new mast, stripped the motor down, packed everything with grease, fitted the new mast and job done. that was 3 years ago and its still good now.
every couple of months, i clean the mast off and run grease up and down the sections. work them up and down, wipe the excess off and their good again for a few more months.
its important to clean these masts every now again and alot of owners don`t bother and thats why they seize.
personally, i`d try and get an original replacement, even secondhand. aftermarket ones in my experience, are not very good and are often very noisy. frankly, in all the years i`ve been driving and the cars i`ve driven/been in, i have never heard an electric aeriel as quiet as these 40`s!!

The following users liked this post:
Rutty (05-31-2013)
Old 06-02-2013, 03:11 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi Rutty, I had the same problem last year, buzzing and all. I replaced the antenna and plastic cable for $15. Got the part from British Parts uk. Easy job to do as well, regards Dave.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:53 AM

I took apart the whole antenna power unit and all parts seem in good shape. Mast freely moves. Buzzing happens and no movement in the gears.

Does anyone have a picture of how their antenna hooks into power? Also do you think the ground wire needs to be attached to the car? I saw the black wire attached only to the screw on the unit and the relay.

I fixed the broken coax today and the radio "works" but it is pretty spotty. I am in Dallas (a big city) so I think that the antenna fully extended needs power to pick up the signals.

Back to the drawing board. I had thought maybe I could get a hidden power antenna. What do you think?

Old 06-05-2013, 11:57 AM

rutty, sounds to me like the motor has burnt out or seized!
these photos may help you, but bare in mind my car is a 1990 and MAY be different, but i strongly doubt it. if i`m correct, the aeriel changed on the later cars, perhaps 1993/4, but i`ll stand corrected.

wires off the aeriel to plug are GREEN and RED. one does `up`, the other `down`, but i cant remember which way round.
off the loom to plug, are GREEN/RED and GREEN/BLUE.

the earth is from the aeriel `stem` just under the wing/fender and bolts to the body. glad i took the photo for you now, as mine has rust on, which i can now sort before it gets bad!

Attached Thumbnails power antenna-aeriel-1.jpg   power antenna-aeriel-2.jpg   power antenna-aeriel-3.jpg