XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Removing oil cooler and lines?

Old 01-11-2011, 06:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing oil cooler and lines?

I just picked up a 92 XJ6 Sovereign that needs a little work, see the pic below. The accident busted the oil cooler and the line and I would just like to remove everything. I've read there is a block off kit? Has anyone done this? Where can you get the kit? Does it block off the holes, or do you need the oil to flow? Could one just cut the hoses and connect them?

Old 01-11-2011, 06:13 PM

I'd like to add that I have not been able to get the lines detached from the oil cooler. I've tried but just damaged them even more, they are seized on there pretty good, another reason I'd like to just get rid of all that...

Old 01-11-2011, 09:55 PM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes Jag makes an oil cooler bypass and the mechanics where I am from recomend it as the oil cooler was deemed "Over engineering and is nothing more than a cause for leaks."

You can get the bypass for about 70 bucks on PartsTrain. Very easy job to do. It does not block off the oil flow; however under the oil filter is where the oil cooler hoses connect to the engine(the oil filter housing and cooler adapter block). What the bypass does is eliminate the cooler and cooler hoses and just makes the flow under the oil filter.

So don't be afraid to damage the oil cooler lines as they will be totally out of the picture once the bypass is installed. Hell cut them if you need.

I know all of this as I just had a leak at the oil filter housing and me and that whole assembly have had more face to face time than I care to recall.

I also took photos of the housing if that will help you on the bypass install but you should not need them, http://www.partstrain.com/store/deta...3-1613902.html . That is the part you need and you also need two connectors so thats about 70 bucks for the whole kit. The 4 o-rings I found at my local O-Reilies.

Last edited by gunnerman; 01-11-2011 at 10:02 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:30 AM

Thanks for the help, I did some searching around and I found this whole assembly on ebay for $30 shipped off a 95...

Old 01-12-2011, 09:01 AM

Oh very cool, nice steal. I would recomend you don't replace the whole housing, and just the bypass parts. Jaguar used Permatex(or something like it) to mate all of those parts to each other and the engine block.

You can get gaskets for them off of places like parts train as well if you do decide to remove it. I opted to remove the throttle body etc when I removed mine so I would have lots of light and room to work with and clean it up. A chance to clean the throttle body as well. I used Permatex The Right Stuff when I put mine back together and so far it has held up.

I didn't order the gaskets for the sole reason that I had them on order from Jaguar and they were to be here before I finished up. Only to get a call from them saying "The gaskets are no longer availible."

Last edited by gunnerman; 01-12-2011 at 09:04 AM.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:37 AM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

Replace the 4 'O'rings on the steel connector tubes as they are hard by now.
I have never found the correct size apart from the dealer and they are only a few dollars each.

bob gauff

Old 01-14-2011, 06:26 AM

I got the car up on ramps and it was still to low to the ground, I could barely touch the oil filter and had zero room to work. This will be a crappy job.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:17 AM

It will be much easier to access if you put the drivers side of the car on a jackstand. Then you can take off the driver site tire. This lets in more light and also exposes a little place you can stick your arm through and see things at a better angle.

Old 01-15-2011, 06:17 PM

Wow, this shouldn't be this hard. I got the car sitting up pretty high on some big 6 ton jackstands and removed the drivers tire. First I tried to drain the oil, no copper washer on the drain plug and I had to use an impact to get the plug out! Then to the oil filter, no way, no how could I get the filter off. No matter which way I put my arm in there I could only touch the filter with my fingers. So I figured, heck I'll just remove the oil cooler lines. I got some socket extensions and an elbow and I got the nut that holds the lines off. I had to cut the lines in 2 places to snake them out. I put cardboard down on the floor but at this point I have oil everywhere. I manage to get the bypass up on the filter housing and low and behold the stud isn't long enough to put a nut on

So I have to remove the whole filter adapter off the engine, no way around it. I'm just wondering how the hell to do it. Do I have to drop the rack and pinion steering to gain access to the darn oil filter?

Old 01-16-2011, 01:22 AM

Sounds like going at it from under the car isint working out. Remove the throttle body, it is much mucjh easier.

I had a picture of it but just realised I deleted them.

Disconect negative

Remove all hoses and electrical fittings going into the throttle body, MAF, etc.

Disconnect the throttle cable from the hrottle body and cruise control fittings.

I opted to remove the filter housing, MAF, bellows, and throttle body in separate pieces. Start from the air filter and move on down the line untill you get it all apart.

The throttle body unbolts from the intake fairly easily now. I opted to remove the intake ducts on the left and right of the throttle body as well for more space.

Now you have good access onto the filter housing. When you go to put it back on make sure it is clean clean clean, I use carb cleaner. Use this opportunity to clean your throttle body as well(this can be a 2 for one special :P). Use 'Permatex: The Right Stuff'(black). It only needs to be applied to one surface(the filter housing) and then assembled to torque.

Do a good job with it as the last thing you want is to get it all back only to find a leak. It really is a straight forward and easy job, just slightly tedious. Far easier than working under the car though. Get a filter wrench for the filter You must have some large arms, because I don't have a problem changing the oil

Old 01-16-2011, 08:44 AM

Hmmm, thanks for the advice. I don't have heat in my garage so I was originally wearing my carhart and a sweat shirt and couldn't get my arm in anywhere. Eventually I was down to a t-shirt only, and with it being 20 degree's in the garage I was getting cold, oily, and crabby... My filter wrench was to big, not enough room to turn it, I need a different kind. I need to get the wife out there, little hands Haha

Old 01-16-2011, 06:11 PM

Well I took all the stuff off the TB and related parts. I managed to get a wrench on the oil filter and broke the wrench and mangled the oil filter. I bought a different wrench and mangle the filter more and broke that wrench, and a 3rd wrench and finally got the filter off in pieces!! Then spent the next few hours with swivels and several extensions on my socket wrench trying to get those 4 lousy bolts that hold the oil filter adapter on. I'm totally exhausted and both my wife and I are covered in grease and oil

Old 01-16-2011, 07:03 PM

Wow, sounds like someone used the filter wrench to put the filter on.

You are lucky you had swivels and ext's I just had regular rachet with shallow sockets and box wrenches. The box wrenches did most of the work...1/4 turn at a time. Another thing to clean is right inside where the throttle body bolts to the manifold is where the EGR inlet is. I used seafoam and carb cleaner on ti as mine was about clogged with carbon.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

This sounds more like the saga of the oil filter. LOL Thankfully you got the thing off eventually.

Good luck with the reassembly, and front end repairs. (pics please).

As an aside, in the past when confronted with an immovable oil filter I have been known to bang a large screwdriver right through it and place a hollow bar over the handle to get some leverage to crack the seal.

Old 01-17-2011, 06:27 AM

Here are a few cell phone shots.