XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Replaceing the water pump....

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 04:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Replaceing the water pump....

Alright.
Its been on the cards for 2 weeks. But today she simply insisted on a new water pump.....
In other words.... Breakdown! lol.

So. Im standing in the parking lot and Dennys trying to remove the fan and clutch assy wondering how the hell you get the bolts loose if you cant hold the pump pully still. After some soothing conversation with her, and the application of a hammer. The fan assy is removed and things seem a little better.
Looking in the repair manual, it shows a very easy proceadure for removing said pump... However, it has no mention of ones situaton should there be an air conditioner compressor in the way?.
But tomorrow is another day, and looking at the manual it should take but an hour to replace the pump and have the motor running again.
Theres a small voice in the back of my mind that says I should take the oppertunity to replace the belts while Im there.
Maybe I should listen to it this time?

Any advice or ideas on the replaceing of said water pump in a strange parking lot??

Old 08-31-2011, 08:06 PM
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

When re assembling make sure that the spacers are installed on the misc. brackets.

Old 09-01-2011, 03:26 PM

Well, after scratching my head and wondering how to get the thing out. I eventualy realised that I had to remove the air pump and frame first.
Not too tricky. But it did lead me to realise that the reason its sounded a little off when I started it of late was simply that the vacume line for the air pump wasnt attached and it wasnt pumping air.. lol

To be honest. With just a 3/8 and 1/2 socket set and 6 - 19mm wrench set it took me an hour to get the "coolant" pump off.
Now I know better the correct method, I could probably do it in less time. But the 1/2 inch bolt that I found was a bit of a surprise.
With the unit removed I started driving around Tampa in search of either a shop to replace the bearing, or a new part.... NSL.
But I have two leads for tomorrow. :-)

On my travels I did happen across an old Jag 420!?
Older than mine. Its sitting in a small heap of porches, BMWs and other such vehicles waiting to be shreaded! I had to check it out and appat from some rust here and there the body work was fine (except the front). Both gas tanks had working (very shiney) caps and the interior was clean and in good condition. Its such a same something like that is just gonna be destroyed.

So if you know anyone who might need an old bit, hit up International Auto Parts Recycling in Tampa and see if you can grab a bit here and there. Oh, the water pump on it is in fine condition ;-P

Old 09-02-2011, 07:23 PM

So. Back to Dennys today.

Actualy, I went to my new "go to" place for parts and get the pump. Then went and installed it.

You know that feeling when you see something and think "you know, if I dont move that Ill probably regret it"?.
Yea.... The coolant hose had one of those cheap screw down clamps. The extra was sticking out a little and I kept eyeing it with the thought that its gonna bite me..... It did... I sliced a long gouge in my little finger while installing the new pump.

Putting the pump in was pretty simple. Remebering where the bolts came from...... Not so easy. For future referance. Number them sequentialy in some way....

Getting coolant back into the system was interesting. I forgot that most of the liquid in the engine itself probably evaporated off when it started over heating. So I under estimated the amount of coolant needed. But the new pump is in place, the belts are tight again and its running okay.
Seems to be running a little hot. About 1 to 2 bars over centerpoint. But that Im going to attribute to the face that its 1/3 coolant and 2/3 water. Ill keep an eye on the temp and if it gets any worse Ill drain it again and add the correct coolant levels.

Next on the list..... Drain and fill the Tranny !!

Old 09-03-2011, 03:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Good news, I wish you best of luck with your new to-do list

Old 09-03-2011, 07:37 PM

Erm, sorry... English only.