XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Restoration Project

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 04:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Restoration Project

Alot of those problems are expensive to fix. The air conditioning probably will be ovr 1200 dollars unless it's just out of freon. Suspension would be a few grand because it's a self leveling suspension. Rust is a must fix but it will be a few hundred probably. For the alarm try switching the button in the middle glove box. The fuses u probably just need to check the relay boxes, there are like 8 in the car...By the haynes book on the car.

How many miles does the car have and put up some picks

Old 11-15-2007, 04:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Restoring a car back into its original condition is not easy yet expensive.That rate of the difficulty ismore if wewalk about a Jag .Luckily it's notin a flivver condition.I gotta tell you this is not a small budget car the parts are not cheap .However , I think the base model to XJ40 does not come with the self levelling system so youcan usethe base model's parts but this time the comfort leveltodecrease .
Good luck with your project and hope you can do it like you want it to be

Old 11-15-2007, 05:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I prefer the Boge shocks in this conversion kit:

http://www.motorcarsltd.com/item.wws?sku=IN100263

KYB makes a less expensive kit, but they tend to rattle after about 6 months. The KYB kit is about $150 less expensive.

I would also recommend new springs:

http://www.motorcarsltd.com/item.wws?sku=IN102726

Old 11-15-2007, 10:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Haynes you can get at auto zone, pep boys or on the internet. None of that stuff you can do yourself unless you have experience working with jags,and I would recomend the dealer. it's impossible for you to think you can fix one of this car cheaply and have it last a long time.

STock all the Xj40s have self leveling suspensions, which was the cars kryptonite I believe...from what I've heard from the dealer that was the main reason for getting rid of the car if someone owned it. I would just talk to Ken tho, he knows everything and can get you good prices on what you can fix. For the rust tho I would go to the dealer, they will fix it better than anyone else.

Old 11-16-2007, 02:15 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I removed the air ride system from my 90 and it was much better driving.

Old 07-04-2008, 11:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You may end up changing your mind about the 'generosity' of your grandfather. Jaguars are proven unreliable and extremely expensive to simply keep running let alone restore. Cost of paint work,interior, mechanical, etc are astronmical. The XJ40 is a marginal potential collectable which will in all likelyhood never attain classic status at best and it is unlikely you'll ever see any real value to a car that no one wants, and in good condition regularly sells for around a grand. For a college student, I can't think of a less suitable car as these cars suck cash out of your wallet faster than a NASA wind tunnel.