XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

To seafoam or not

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 05:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To seafoam or not

I have herd good things about seafoam. I just bought a 1988 xj6 with 124k on it and plan to do a tune up and maybe seaform it. I just wanted to know what you guys think and if anyone has ever did it to a jaguar inline six. For those you that have not clue what this here a link to it. And no i am not a rep for seafoam LOL!

http://www.seafoamsales.com/motor-treatment/index.html

Old 05-25-2009, 09:20 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used it on a 1977 Porsche that sat up for a few years, it worked great to get the varnish out of the mechanical injectors. I haven't ever had any injector issues on the Jag yet... The rubber and plastic fuel system parts are handling the 10% ethanol in gas so far, but I'm not sure about the seafoam ingredients. It can be very expensive it there is a compatability issue. Wait and see if one of the techs have seen an issue with it... Or better yet, what they use to clean injectors.

Old 05-25-2009, 01:25 PM

Seafoam more cleans the combustion chamber exhaust and cats more than the injectors. You suck it threw you brake boaster vac hose into the intake. You do it slowly so you dont hydro lock your engine. After its in you turn the engine off let it set for 15 mins,in this time it turns all the carbon build up to liquid. When you crack the car it burns it all out with a massive cloud of white smoke. This clears up in about 10 mins or running or driving,it is suppose to bring your engine back to new.I might give it try and post what happens,the site says its safe for all cars and will not harm plastic and all. Where there has been problems is idiots that rev there cars bouncing them off the red lines and crazy stuff like that. But if there is a tech here that knows please post.

Thanks

Old 05-25-2009, 01:50 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

xj6, while I haven't done it to my Jag, I have done it to my 97 Expedition and a 97 Altima. Both vehicles had a decent result with it. I would recommend doing it. You are not going to have an issue with the plastics and whatnot. Like you said, it will smoke to beat the band. So, make sure you do it somewhere where no one is.

The trick that I have used is the brake booster line and I rev the engine slightly (up to about 2500-3000 RPM and then try to keep the engine running long enough to suck in about quarter of the can. At that point I let the engine die. By this point you will be at about half a can. Let it set for the 15 minutes and then restart the car and suck in the other half of a can and keep the RPMs up enough to get a decent flow. Like you mentioned, if you over rev the engine, it can lead to issues. But, keeping things down around 3,000 RPM is just fine. After about 30 seconds of finishing the can off, you can let the engine come down to idle and give occasional revs of the engine. I do this to help blow out any left over particulate from the cleaning.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:27 PM

Can someone take a picture of the brake booster line? Is this the left bank breather hose?

Old 06-07-2009, 03:55 PM

I seafoamed mine today a brake booster line Is not on this car that i know of. I did it threw the very small vac line on the back of the intake near the fire wall. I will take a pic sometime this week as i have to go a work in a bit. I didn't get a hella lot of smoke from it but it runs so so so much better. It doesn't bump at idle anymore and runs quitter so I dont know if that did it or the oil change. But it couldn't hurt.,if you do it DO NOT REV YOUR ENGINE OVER 4K RPM, IF YOU DO YOU WILL TRASH YOUR ENGINE. I say that because i have seen crazy morons rev there cars off the charts.Bonceing it off the rev line and then they are (why is my car knocking) So anyhow have fun.

Peace

Old 10-29-2009, 11:15 PM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Sorry to bring back an old thread but I am thinking about doing this to my 1990 xj. I think it has the idle bump you mention. I am afraid though as I have heard horror stories of it causing knocks and things after use. Did you ever get around to get a pic of the line you put it in?

Old 11-04-2009, 10:16 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I bought a can but was afraid to put it in vacume lines, it says on website misuse of product can cause severe engine damage and the can says make sure to put into a vacume line that feeds all cylinders. With that I just dumped the whole can in what was left of my tank(10 gallons or so).
It made the car hard to start but the bumping at idle seemed to go away a little, could just be placebo effect though. Didn't seem to run anybetter and if it does it is a small improvement. I put new gas in and it starts very easy again.
I might try the spray into carb method someday.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:51 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

What you want to look for is a vacuum line that is near the throttlebody/carb (dependent on your year vehicle). This will ensure all cylinders get an even amount of the seafoam. The big trick is getting a line that is about 3/16" at its inside diameter. This will give you a sufficient flow to get a lot in when the motor dies but not so much that you have to worry about hydro-locking the engine. If anything, go a little smaller on the vacuum line if in doubt.

Don't forget you need to open the throttlebody/carb more to help keep the engine running. If not, as soon as you add the seafoam, it will die on you. Suck in half the can and let the motor die. Let it set for 5-10 minutes to work on loosening up the gunk on the inside of the engine and then start up the engine again and suck the other half of the can down. Run the engine until the exhaust is clear again.