XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 03:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting problems

My 91 xj6/40 sovereign tries to start and will start for a few seconds sometimes and then dies. I have fuel coming thru the fuel rail to fuel pressure regulator, no fuel coming out of the vacuum line and no fuel coming out the return line to fuel tank at regulator. Starts and run with starting fluid, installed new fuel filter. I allowed my sister to drive and she said stopped running with no warning so I towed it home. Any ideas appreciated Thank You. Gary

Old 07-15-2018, 07:55 PM
Received 12,737 Likes on 6,379 Posts

Originally Posted by garvan61
My 91 xj6/40 sovereign tries to start and will start for a few seconds sometimes and then dies. I have fuel coming thru the fuel rail to fuel pressure regulator, no fuel coming out of the vacuum line and no fuel coming out the return line to fuel tank at regulator. Starts and run with starting fluid, installed new fuel filter. I allowed my sister to drive and she said stopped running with no warning so I towed it home.
Hi Gary,

Welcome to the Jaguar Forums! It's great to have you with us.

Just to be sure I understand, the fuel feed hose connects to the fuel rail at the firewall end, and when you disconnect that hose from the rail you have good fuel flow when the fuel pump is running? The FPR is at the forward end of the rail and you've checked it for a leaking diaphragm by disconnecting the vacuum hose. But you're saying that with the fuel pump running, no fuel comes out of the return fitting of the FPR? Is this the case with the vacuum hose connected or disconnected or both? A blocked FPR would cause the fuel pressure in the rail to be too high, which could lead to an overrich air-fuel ratio.

Is it possible your fuel may have been contaminated with water? To check, you can disconnect the fuel feed hose from the rail and direct it into a suitable glass or clear plastic catch container and run the fuel pump for a few seconds to fill the container about half full or more. Sit the container somewhere safe for 30 minutes or more and then check for the formation of two layers indicating the presence of water.

If you do find water in the fuel, check the drain in the rubber gaiter around the fuel filler neck to be sure it isn't clogged with leaves or seeds, which allows water to pool around the filler neck and seep past the filler cap gasket and down into the tank.

Please keep us informed, and also please visit the New Member Area - Intro a MUST and post a required introduction so we can learn something about you and your Jaguar and give you a proper welcome.

Cheers,

Don

Old 07-18-2018, 12:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank You for replying, I have bleed the fuel into cup and see no water, however the fuel does smell like it could be bad. I have removed the fuel regulator, like I said earlier no fuel was coming out of the vacuum line and no fuel coming out of the return line either. I am thinking could be bad regulator, stuck closed. Does try to start, and will start and run with starting fluid I am not a mechanic more of a parts changer, but I try to figure the problem out before having mechanic look at the problem. Any more ideas or thoughts is appreciated. Thank You Gary