XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

TCM clicking and limp mode on a late 94 xj6

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 08:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TCM clicking and limp mode on a late 94 xj6

Manufacture date 4 of 94 , 6 cyl with 65,000 miles. I swapped trans relay to no affect . I removed the TCM and installed it in another 94xj6 and the car shifted fine . I do not have a wiring diagram for this car as it different than a 93 . I am also having a problem with no power to the left blower motor . I just read the circuit boards can be a problem . Thank you for your time and knowledge! Catrick

Old 05-24-2015, 09:06 PM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

The electrical guide S65_93 is for BOTH 1993 and 1994 MY XJ6 Sedans.
When I got my 1994 XJ6 paper electrical guide from Jaguar all we got was a cover page to replace the 1993 MY.

We were issued a page marked 1993/94 MY XJ sedan electrical guide to insert in the 3 ring binder. We were instructed to remove the 1993 cover page and replace with 1993/94 page.

The only difference I remember is the addition of the passenger side airbag and that was NOT electrically operated by the car itself. (no external sensors or harness)

There IS a MY 1994 XJ12 electrical guide. (S82_94)

bob gauff

The following users liked this post:
Don B (05-24-2015)
Old 05-24-2015, 10:17 PM
Received 12,737 Likes on 6,379 Posts

Originally Posted by Catrick
I swapped trans relay to no affect . I removed the TCM and installed it in another 94xj6 and the car shifted fine . I do not have a wiring diagram for this car as it different than a 93 .
Hi Catrick,

As Bob has mentioned your '94 is electrically identical to a '93, so if you have the '93 Electrical Guide you're set.

Low transmission fluid doesn't usually cause LHM, but it's good to make sure the fluid is bright red and clear and right at the HOT line on the dipstick after a good drive of 20 minutes or more. Stop on a level surface, move the gear shifter through P, R, D, 3, 2 and 1, then back, stopping in each gear for at least 3 or 4 seconds. Then put it in Park and read the fluid level on the dipstick. Too much fluid can cause problems too. For best performance you want the fluid right on that HOT line.

Now, the most common cause of Limp Home Mode (LHM) on our '93 has been oil contamination of the connector for the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS). Both the ECM and TCM use the signal from the TPS as part of their calculations for smooth gear shifts, and when that signal is corrupted by oil on the connector it can cause LHM. The TPS is mounted on the underside of the Throttle Body (TB) and its electrical connector is mounted on a bracket affixed to the intake manifold elbow just to the left of the TB. Separate the halves of the connector and flush them out thoroughly with zero-residue electrical contact cleaner. Allow them to dry, apply a little dielectric grease to the outside of the smaller half of the connector to help seal out oil (but do not apply grease to the electrical contacts!). Firmly re-seat the connector and see if your LHM is gone.

If that doesn't solve your LHM, the TPS itself may be fouled with oil that is drawn up from the crankcase through the breather system and deposited into the air intake just ahead of the TB, where it drains down the butterfly valve spindle into the TPS. To clean the TPS, it's easiest to remove the TB from the intake manifold. Many of us have drilled drain holes in the TPS casing so we can flush it out with contact cleaner spray and so future oil drips will drain out instead of accumulating. See the photos at this link:

Welcome to Jag-lovers - Members Photo Viewing Page

If you're still encountering LHM after the last two steps, follow John Ping's diagnostic procedure in the Jag-Lovers XJ40 eBook at the link below. You will have to join J-L to view the book, but it's free and there is a mountain of XJ40 information in the archives there, as well as some very knowledgeable XJ40 owners:

Some of the components you will check in the process of tracking down LHM include the Decoder Module, Rotary Switch, and the Transmission Electrical Connector:

You're already familiar with your TCM and it sounds like it's working fine, but the only time our LHM wasn't caused by oil on the TPS connector it was caused by a cold solder joint in the TCM:

I am also having a problem with no power to the left blower motor . I just read the circuit boards can be a problem.
It might be prudent to start a new thread since this is a topic unto itself, but please clarify whether you mean that the left blower motor is not working, or you have checked for 12V at its harness electrical connector and there is no power there?

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 05-24-2015 at 10:19 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Don B:
93SB (05-28-2015), MidwestJag (05-28-2016)
Old 05-25-2015, 06:53 PM

Thanks Don for the leads on the TPS and its connector ! I'll try that tomorrow . Thank you for the link to the Jag-Lover information .My blower motor does not have power at the connector . I will take the fuse block apart and inspect the path for the electrons to flow . I believe the 94 electric system differs greatly from the 93 system , I.e. Double relays. Thank you Don ! Ca trick.

Old 05-25-2015, 08:57 PM
Received 12,737 Likes on 6,379 Posts

Originally Posted by Catrick
My blower motor does not have power at the connector . I will take the fuse block apart and inspect the path for the electrons to flow . I believe the 94 electric system differs greatly from the 93 system , I.e. Double relays.
Hi Catrick,

The parts service of the Jaguar Daimler Heritage Trust (jaguarclassicparts.com) groups the parts for '93 and '94 models together, and I think you'll find that there are very few if any electrical differences between '93 models from VIN 673810 and the '94 cars. We've owned our '93 for more than 16 years and I've bought plenty of salvaged parts off of '94 cars, including relay modules (3 or 4 relays in one case). If you're finding that your '93 Electrical Guide does not match your car, it may be an early edition of the guide. Let me know and I'll see if one of my manuals has a later publication date.

Your left blower motor should receive battery power on the Brown wire with Blue tracer line from Fuse B4 (20A) in the Left fusebox at the base of the left A-pillar. Cold solder joints are a common problem in the XJ40, so if the fuse is good you're right to suspect the fusebox internals. The photos at the link below may be helpful. They're from our '93, so I'll be very curious to learn if they differ from your '94:

For comparison, here are some photos of the major electrical and electronic components in our '93, including the relay modules I mentioned earlier. Let me know if your '94 has any significant differences:

By the way, the clicking sound you've heard in your TCM is probably just the relay operating (the same relay that had a starved solder joint in our TCM - see the photos at the link I posted earlier).

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 05-25-2015 at 09:04 PM.
93SB (05-28-2015)
Old 05-25-2016, 02:59 PM

Thank every one for their suggestions on the 1994 xj6 with the limp home mode . I discovered that the 94 xj6 ( with the double relays ) has an additional relay installed.This relay is called EMS ignition on relay .This relay powers the transmission relay and the ignition coil and amp .l got lucky and found a two volt drop across the contact side of the EMS relay . LHM was cured and the ignition spark went from fat orange to white . This relay change started at VIN 687219. Catrick's

Don B (05-25-2016)
Old 05-25-2016, 03:13 PM

Don B Thank you for your leads on the blower motor power and the TCM . I took the left fuse block out and tried to take it apart . I realized I was in over my head . I reinstalled the block and prayed to the gods of electrons that I did not break any thing in the multi level fuse block . I tapped into battery power and put a separate fuse holder to feed the left blower motor . Catrick's