XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Twist knob next to battery

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 07:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Twist knob next to battery

I apologize for the subject. I will try my best to describe. Just yesterday, my car just won't start, as if the battery is dead. At first, I thought that was the issue, but noticed that my battery was fully charged. So to to start it, I would simply disconnect and reconnect a few times until it worked. I suspected there wasn't good contact between the poles and the plug, so I cleaned those out well. The problem persists. Now it wont start at all. There a twist know next to the battery, closest to the right fender, which is covered in a red rubber covering. My question is, what is that? Because if I twist it all the way down, and hold it there, all my electrical system works fine. I leave the interior lights on to check this. Everytime I push it down my lights go on. Is this my problem? Would I need to replace this part? If so, what part is it and its purpose? On this same part, other than the knob it self that can be removed by unscrewing the flat head screw on top, is there another part that comes off? Can't quite describe it, but the metal part right underneath it comes off, doesn't seem like it should but not sure. I can post pics if anyone wishes. Any help?

89 Vanden Plas

Old 08-05-2007, 09:12 PM
Default RE: Twist knob next to battery

I took the part out, and found from a french website its a battery interrupter. Thats from what I understand, I do not speak or read french. The part number on it is DBC 10618, Lucas part no. 78713. I cannot find this part anywhere on any site. The car turns on if I hold it down as someone holds it down, but once I release it the car turns off. Can I do something to make it work in the meantime while I find a replacement?

Old 08-05-2007, 09:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  cars.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  7.4 KB

Hi estnum.........try sending Ken a pm re this. I think he's quite knowledgable on these cars and may be able to help / source the part for you!

Jim

Old 08-06-2007, 05:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Where are you located? I tried both part numbers and neither worked for me. May not be a US production qizmo.

Old 08-06-2007, 08:36 PM

I am located in Oceanside, CA. The problem is now resolved, sort of. Its just a battery cut-off switch. One to simply cut off power to the car without having to remove the cables from the poles. Just a device to cut off power by a twist of the button. The device was simply faulty. There's two cables coming from the positive pole, the smaller one goes to the cut-off switch, which that is grounded to the frame. All works normal by just running that cable dirrectly to the frame. Now, I never knew what that thing was until now, haha, and I am interested in getting another, since I constantly work on the car. I know there's third party switches, should I go that route or try to find one from a junked car? I've searched everywhere online, and cannot find it, and I rather not go to the dealer for this part.

Old 08-07-2007, 11:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I would go the aftermarket route. Try a marine supply place. I believe this are very common on boat batteries.