XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1972 XJ6

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 10:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1972 XJ6

Hi, I a Jag newbie. I am looking at purchasing a 1972 XJ6. My question is for the 1972 model year what are the differences between US spec cars and cars intended to be sold in Europe or anywhere else. Reason for the question is the car was last titled in Arizona. I will need to register it in California. I am being told it can be done as long as it is a US spec car. If it is not it would have to be modified to comply with California emissions systems for the model year then inspected. A lengthy, difficult, expensive process

Old 01-05-2017, 12:18 AM
cds
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello there,

Its pre 75 so there shouldn't be any issues.

Usually all that is required is a vin verification to register the car in California.

Just go to your local DMV and have the vin verified.

As I have cars that don't run and couldn't go down to the DMV I've used a private vin inspector from Downey who is certified by the DMV to inspect vins,

i had an 65 elan from Ohio , 66 elan from Missouri, and a off the computer 68 europa from CA registered with no problems. The private service is usually $150 per car and the send the plates and pinks to you.

cheers cds.

Old 01-05-2017, 12:22 AM
cds

i would tend to think the vast majority of the cars you will see will be US spec, Stromberg carbs
amd an air injection system would the major differences.

BTW I have a friends with a 68 S1 2.8
that was a Canadian car with SU's and no smog pump and it still got registered in California easilY

Old 01-05-2017, 12:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cds
Hello there,

Usually all that is required is a vin verification to register the car in California.

As I have cars that don't run and couldn't go down to the DMV I've used a private vin inspector from Downey who is certified by the DMV to inspect vins,

i had an 65 elan from Ohio , 66 elan from Missouri, and a off the computer 68 europa from CA registered with no problems. The private service is usually $150 per car and the send the plates and pinks to you.

cheers cds.
Cool, thanks for the info. I am actually using a DMV service company because the seller bought the car a couple of years ago with no title. According to the DMV service for a imported (non US spec) car registering in California they go down to 1967. I would have to have the car modified and inspected to California standards for the model year.

Old 01-05-2017, 07:06 AM
Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by cds
Hello there,

cheers cds.
When you said the above are you saying post 75 cars are problematic? I like 72's more classic lines. But the early 80's look a smidgen more refined. What are pros and cons of each?

Old 01-05-2017, 09:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 268 Posts
Default LIghts and lens colors could be different if imported?

Having my '71 XJ 282/200R for years now... had a '72 XJ LT1/700R... no problems.. no smog required - they do not care about smog for pre '74 cars.

I have all Red taillights... no side lights at all and all Orange front turn signals... plus seven inch headlights/high beam. My middle lights on the hood are Cibie driving lights controlled by a separate switch. If not modified, you may only have LH outside door mirror = OK,, mine has XJS electric mirrors now. They will want you to have a front license plate - mine does not but it is in the
trunk if any ever complains... none yet since 1992... I do not like the looks of a front plate on this model.

Just make sure the horn and wipers work and all the lights... they are usually not picky at all about the various lens colors. It should not exhibit smoke when idling and running.

These are beautiful and fun cars to drive with the SWB... not much fun if the
driver is tall and someone wants to sit behind him/her.

Attached Thumbnails 1972 XJ6-imag2112.jpg   1972 XJ6-imag2113.jpg  

Last edited by Roger Mabry; 01-05-2017 at 12:59 PM.
Old 01-05-2017, 10:49 AM
cds

My S3 experience is limited to one 85 XJ6 that I had for about 5 years

This was concurrent with my last series 1 which was a late 71.

They are different experiences. I prefer the S1 but it's a subjective opinion.

Old 01-09-2017, 07:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 535 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by Evoking
When you said the above are you saying post 75 cars are problematic? I like 72's more classic lines. But the early 80's look a smidgen more refined. What are pros and cons of each?
Only "problem" on 75 and up cars in CA is that they need to be smogged. If you were trying to decide between 72 (S1) and "early 80s" (S3) I wouldn't let the fact that one of them needs smogged and the other doesn't deter me from going after an S3 car....... the seller has to SMOG it by law anyway (or sell it to you as parts)

Old 01-09-2017, 08:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

I read a bit ago that the cutoff has been moved to 81 for CA cars. But, I forgot the date it comes in to effect. At least there is hope for some.

Durn, I missed it, my car is an 83. Seventy bucks plus aggravation every two years!!!

Carl

Old 01-09-2017, 10:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 8,953 Likes on 5,297 Posts

California Bill to Move Smog Exception From 1975 to 1980 Progresses
The above article is from April 2016, and there's Nothing more recent on the subject except for hopeful speculation. I suspect the bill will die silently due to stalling in some committee.
(';')

Old 01-09-2017, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Nertz. as Elinor cited the Motor Trend article, which I scanned, I hoped that lead time meant it was not to date.

True, but the news is bad. I googled the SB1239 and read it's history. It did get out of committte, but died on the floor. Went into inactive.... In other words, the Senate leader killed it. Politics, as usual....

As I recall, there was also an Assembly bill. I'll look for that. Probably done in as well...

Carl

Carl