XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1974 XJ12 questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 10:57 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 1974 XJ12 questions

Greetings all, I am the proud new owner of a 1974 XJ12 that needs some TLC.

I had it running quite nicely for about 5 minutes but since has quit and barely fires. It will run on starter fluid. My guess is that I didnt do a good enough job of cleaning out the old fuel and the contaminants in it. I've flushed it several times now, clean gas, no floaters.

I have a couple of questions.

1. Are there any more fuel filters in the system other than the one in the trunk?

2. Thinking I now need to rebuild the carbs, is there a preferred rebuild kit and is there a good How To anywhere that details removing them and rebuilding them? They are CD175's, right?

3. What octane do you use and do I need a lead substitute?

4. I topped off (yeah right - added 4 litres!) the coolant with 50/50 universal green fluid that says ok for all vehicles pre 1984. Hope this is ok. Its getting cold here and I needed to add something before I risked cracking the block.

That's it for now, but plenty more to come soon.

Thanks for any help.

Old 11-03-2016, 05:22 AM
Received 10,313 Likes on 6,823 Posts

Originally Posted by UKcat
Greetings all, I am the proud new owner of a 1974 XJ12 that needs some TLC.

I had it running quite nicely for about 5 minutes but since has quit and barely fires. It will run on starter fluid. My guess is that I didnt do a good enough job of cleaning out the old fuel and the contaminants in it. I've flushed it several times now, clean gas, no floaters.

I have a couple of questions.

1. Are there any more fuel filters in the system other than the one in the trunk?

2. Thinking I now need to rebuild the carbs, is there a preferred rebuild kit and is there a good How To anywhere that details removing them and rebuilding them? They are CD175's, right?

3. What octane do you use and do I need a lead substitute?

4. I topped off (yeah right - added 4 litres!) the coolant with 50/50 universal green fluid that says ok for all vehicles pre 1984. Hope this is ok. Its getting cold here and I needed to add something before I risked cracking the block.

That's it for now, but plenty more to come soon.

Thanks for any help.
Firstly welcome to teh Forum.

When time permits, please do an Intro in the New Members Area.

Good choice of Jag to get right into it.

1) Memory, haha, I think? there are small cone filters at the entry port to each carby. There is also a filter mesh inside the tank to protect the supply side of the pump/s.

2) Smart move. Brands mean squat now a days, get whatever is available, and ensure they include the diaphragm. There would be books etc all over the I/net. The OLD Haynes I have, has a decent write up on doing them. Stromberg CD175 was the carby from the factory, although many have been converted to SU.

3) I use our 98 in all the Jags, but that is a can of worms not worth opening at this stage, ANY clean fuel (NO ETHANOL) will run that engine just fine. NO lead substitute needed at all.

4) Should be fine, but we no get freezing, so no idea for your market. Someone will wake up eventually and add to the thread.

Have fun.

Old 11-03-2016, 02:18 PM

Thank you for the response.

I'm attempting to remove the carbs now but having trouble reaching all the nuts. It almost looks easier to remove the entire intake and remove the carbs from the intake on the bench. Which is the typical/preferred method?

Old 11-03-2016, 08:55 PM

Engine OUT.

JUST KIDDING.

V12 ownership requires a serious sense of humour, and I am told mine is Warped to the max.

It has been a loooooooooong time, but I reckon I got them off with the manifolds in situ, and agreed, it was a test of all things human.

Taking the manifolds off worried me at the time, with 12 holes facing up, and gravity nearby, sure as hell something was gonna fall down one of them holes.

Some 20 odd V12's later:

Maybe easier to do the manifold off, plug those 12 holes, tidy up all the other things whilst access is easier.

Old 11-06-2016, 07:26 PM

My 9 year old helping to remove carbs. He's more excited to get the car running than I am.

Old 11-06-2016, 08:14 PM

Well done.

Old 11-07-2016, 07:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

UK:

1. Mama is going to flip when she sees son's clothes!!!

2. I've never worked on the V12. But, my set of 3/8's universal sockets have helped access some buried fasteners in other critters. And long extensions as well.

The joy of victory awaits!!!

Carl

Old 11-07-2016, 12:43 PM

What happens at daddies house stays at daddies house!

No room for sockets unfortunately. We got them off and have started cleaning them. I have a question on the vac lines. There is a nipple on each carb that has a broken line attached to it. I cant see where they go. There isnt any line on the engine or in the engine bay anywhere for them to connect to so I'm assuming they connect to each other and are a balancing line. This is a small diameter line. These nipples face each other when the carbs are installed. Its not fuel return, its not the overrun valve line either.

Old 11-08-2016, 01:42 AM

Memory, and that is questionable at best.

Balance hose makes sense, and they are usually 10mm or larger.

The fact the carbies have the fuel return system, I am also thinking those spigots may be??? foe an overflow drain hose, for when flooding occurs, but that is really clutching at straws.

I have an OLD, like me, book in the shed somewhere, and I will go searching and report back later.

Old 11-08-2016, 02:55 AM

Found the book.

YES, it is the balance pipe connectors. One on each carby, then a metal pipe arrangement links all 4.

Went to scan it and attach, BUT, the scanner having a Jaguar moment, so new one needed, scanner that is, not a Jaguar.

Old 11-08-2016, 07:20 AM
Veteran Member

Grant:

Yeah, stuff other than Jaguars goes "kaput". My Epson multi purpose device did that. Out of warranty. Fix not an economical choice. Epson offered a loyalty deal. Fifty bucks. Free shipping. Loaded with ink cartridges. Catch! The black one was quickly emptied. Order new Epson units. Pricey!!! That is where their money is, of course.
Got refills elsewhere. Not cheap, but much better.

Oh, the Epson has a neat function. If the black is out, it can mix
others to simulate black. Not all that bad...

I've two older units, but ink issues? If I get cartridges, will they
work???

Carl

Old 11-08-2016, 08:33 AM
Received 134 Likes on 100 Posts

Do not get me started on printers, ink, wireless connections, tables, smart 'phones connectivity...........

Old 11-08-2016, 09:40 AM
Veteran Member

Little:

Got it, Tis, a mess ands that is a grand understatement. Let it be...

Carl

Old 11-08-2016, 03:55 PM

Thanks for the research Grant. However, the lines I'm talking about arnt the 10mm lines that connect to the metal tubes. These nipples are more like 4mm, come out the side of the carb horizontally and face towards the rear of the car on the front carb and the front of the car on the rear carb. I will take a picture when I get home tonight.

The following users liked this post:
Grant Francis (11-08-2016)