Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1976 S2 XJC Project

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 05:21 AM
Received 82 Likes on 42 Posts

Hello Status Update!

Things Have been Happening!

First though I have been battling a herniated disc which laid me low for a month! Most of the downtime was the slow grind of the diagnosis phase.

Any way I have had quite awhile to think-wait-and plan!
I will Take you through the steps that have occurred.

1. Car arrived in PA ( I waited for hours )

2. Car in Storage waiting for Me!

3. Finally after a very tedious series of events. The XJR+Getrag From Poland Meet!

4. Since I'm laid up I'm busy looking for pieces and parts to make this engine work. I discover This 1996 XJR Salvage Car 6 miles from my house!
I went to see it. I see this on the back window.

5. I pulled a carfax and sure enough this Car was traded in and auctioned. At some point the Keys were lost and it was left for dead for 6 years. I bought the whole car.(Car had no key's-which I suspect was the base propblem)

6. Car Pulled in ready for assessment:

7. So far I have Fogged the cylinder's and timing Chain,Pulled valve cove and oil'd the Cams, Changed the oil and filter. I went and bought a new Battery pulled the plugs and Fuel pump relay- turned (the new key and cylinder I bought from ebay). The Engine turned so smooth I thought the starter wasn't engaging I leaned over and saw the belt moving fast! Oil Pressure came up on the second pass I assume it was filling the new filter first. Next step is to figure out fuel.

8. After Corresponding with icsamerica I scored some XJS running gear.
Which I am very happy about!

So That's about it for now I have a vacation next week and have to take it slow with my back but stay tuned!

What I am am not sure about is which engine I'm going to use. 76K or rebuilt from poland??

Rusty

The following 5 users liked this post by Rustyxjc:
Daf11e (08-07-2017), Doug (08-07-2017), LnrB (08-07-2017), Sarc (08-14-2017), someguywithajag (08-16-2017)
Old 08-07-2017, 09:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,359 Likes on 790 Posts

Nice project, collection of parts and work space.

Old 08-07-2017, 11:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Oh, yeah, all that fun stuff. But herniated discs?? The final solution choices not easy. Laminectomy or fusion???

Carl

Old 08-07-2017, 06:36 PM
Received 73 Likes on 42 Posts

Herniated a disc in my lower back into my sciatic, in 1989. Had it microscopically trimmed by a good neurosurgeon. Out of the hospital the next day, a week onthe couch, off to crew at the Monterey Hysterics' the following weekend. No trouble since. Get the surgery. My diagnosis took forever also; and many"sports medicine" solutions. MRI told the real story. Wish Ihad the MRI first, would have saved 6-8 months. Good luck geneo

Old 08-07-2017, 08:50 PM

Thanks for the advice! My guess is I'm headed That way.

RGK

Old 08-10-2017, 12:56 PM

Hello,
Things are finally converging Before I start ripping each apart i'm going to take some time with them side by side.

Rusty

The following 2 users liked this post by Rustyxjc:
ronbros (08-10-2017), someguywithajag (08-16-2017)
Old 08-14-2017, 03:33 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice project, I`ll follow your progress. About your herniated disc, i`ve been there also, keep moving, don`t stiffen up, thats for me the best medicine

Old 08-14-2017, 05:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,955 Likes on 5,298 Posts

Both of you guys need a Good chiropractor!
(';')

Old 08-16-2017, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member

LnrB:

I am biased in that area. Chiro's do well with sprains and strains. Relaxing cramps. Aka spasms.

But, in vertebrae and the lamanae (sp) that keep bones from grinding on bones and clamping on nerve ends, only limited.

Spinal adjustment is a myth. Cracking is totally inadequate to changing the alignment of the vertebrae. Beyond human strength. It is very strong "as built".

But, a good Chiro can help a lot on some cases. The adjustment, actually more like a massage relaxes spasm. The spasm causes the spine to be "out of line". There are terms for is. That and exercise emphasizing stretching are great in he restoration of flexability.

But, a herniated disc can be exacerbated with really bad consequences.

Beware....

Carl

The following users liked this post:
Mguar (04-05-2023)
Old 08-16-2017, 08:25 PM

herniated disc can be exacerbated with really bad consequences.
True words Carl I've now been exposed to "really bad" Consequences and will now be very very careful.

Rusty

Old 08-28-2017, 12:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 8,955 Likes on 5,298 Posts

Sorry for my late reply but I was away when this was first posted and I've taken some time to think about it.

You are held in high regard and deep respect in here, Carl, your experiences and knowledge are very valuable, your stories enlightening and entertaining. But my own experiences contradict this blanket statement you have made;
Originally Posted by JagCad
Spinal adjustment is a myth.
and I feel I must respond:

In any profession, Engineer, Architect, Lawyer, Dentist, Brain Surgeon, Jaguar Mechanic, and possibly even Insurance Adjuster, there are incompetents, mediocre, stupid, shysters, just plain crooks; and then there are the Good Ones who love their craft, take it seriously, care about the people they work for (we do actually Hire them, don't we), honestly try to help and would never be involved in anything shady, especially insurance fraud (although I have seen a 20/20 episode dealing with crooked chiropractors).

You have obviously had bad experience with Chiropractors, I imagine in relation to your work, and I'm sorry to know that. I've actually dealt with some of the list above (incompetent not crooked), until I've been fortunate to find a practice of Good Ones whose skill keeps me in line (aligned) and on the job.

Cracking is totally inadequate to changing the alignment of the vertebrae. Beyond human strength. It is very strong "as built".
The human skeleton is Very strong as designed, but we all abuse our bodies in an almost criminal manner sometimes, and it takes skill to put them right; be it a twisted knee, a dislocated shoulder or a sore back. It's not beyond human strength (good horse chiropractors are eagerly sought after at all major race tracks because they produce winners) they merely have to know what they're doing. The Good Ones do.

We all change our cars' oil regularly, rotate the tires on schedule, get alignments as needed and care for anything else that comes up.

Nearly everyone over 50 gets their blood pressure checked regularly, all your women, no matter their ages get their girl parts checked on schedule, and I get my back cracked regularly (to keep me doing a man's work in a woman's body); I'm sure I'm not the only one in here who does.

This ends my response.
(';')

The following 2 users liked this post by LnrB:
slofut (12-28-2017), Tar (08-28-2017)
Old 09-02-2017, 01:37 PM

Small Update.

XJR Engine Out.

Slow but steady progress.

Rusty

Attached Thumbnails 1976 S2 XJC Project-2017-09-02-13.29.54.jpg  
Old 09-03-2017, 09:16 AM
Veteran Member

Elinor:

Whew? If you found a good one and you do well, great. Note my opening on bias. Admitted. And the third from the last paragraph on my post.

But, I sure hope you don't have disc issues, Although many of us do, to some extent.

A herniated disc is a "biggie'.

I'll not get in to "crooked chiropractors". Or any other kind of medical crooks. They abound along with the honest but incompetent.

Best I stay on Jaguars, Jeeps and Chippers.

Carl

LnrB (09-03-2017)
Old 10-05-2017, 06:04 PM

Up date:
I have been degreasing researching and getting things powder coated.
And of course buying lots of great stuff!
Not ready for pics just yet however I will end with some key word teasers....

1. Ride tech.
2. Gold Box
3. Asteroids

Rusty

Old 10-07-2017, 07:49 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Rusty, have you already decided which engine and gearbox you will build in your coup? I asume the other one is an ZF automatic?

Old 10-07-2017, 01:58 PM

I am using the Getrag 290 5sp.

Rusty

Old 12-26-2017, 05:20 PM

My Project has been thwarted by Back to Back Back problems !

But I am on the Mend! and will be continuing soon. After two disc surgerys I am finaly feeling better i am still under dr's orders to be carefull with my toothbrush! but soon I will be good to go!

Rusty

Old 12-27-2017, 11:22 AM
Received 73 Likes on 42 Posts

good news. take the time to heal right then you will have time to go fast and totally enjoy the project!

geneo

Old 12-28-2017, 12:29 PM
Received 116 Likes on 87 Posts

Wishes for a quick recovery Rusty! And, I would've had a hard time pulling the motor out of that xjr, it looks pretty nice.
That should be your next project, with a gm lsx and t56...

Old 12-28-2017, 06:31 PM

So it was one of those things that happen when your really not thinking about it. The XJR was an abandoned car at a now out of business car dealer only 76k on it. Most of the cars left were sold except a few with missing Title's. The XJR was one of those.
I had to agree to give back once I took what I wanted. The good stuff will live again in my XJC.

Rusty

slofut (12-29-2017)

Quick Reply: 1976 S2 XJC Project