XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1985 XJ6 Electrical Issue with Spark Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 09:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1985 XJ6 Electrical Issue with Spark Plugs

Hi, I am so desperate here and flat out of money. I have had several "Mechanics" work on this car and each one of them failed. So let me explain the problem as best I can.

This car has been just great. But a few months ago it started failing to charge the battery. So I ordered an after market alternator and had it put on and it worked fine. Then all of the sudden it just started running like only half of the spark plugs were able to fire. It lost all acceleration and then the motor just shut off....as if it was flooded out. When it started doing this, if I gave it gas it would just basically kill the motor like it was being flooded. So the last mechanic that had it said I had water in the gas and that he needed to pull the tanks to drain them and clean them and he also cleaned the injectors. When I got it back it ran GREAT on my test drive. Then about 3 days later I drove it up to the nursing home to see my grandmother which was about 40 miles away and it ran just fine. After my visit I got back in my car and headed back home. But about 2 miles after I got on the hiway headed back home it started doing the same thing. And then the motor quit and I had to have it towed home. Now the car will not start at all. And just for the record the car does not smoke or use oil at all. I am just on my last leg now because I have spent a fortune with local mechanics that can not seem to figure out what the actual problem is. If there is anybody out there that can help me or give me some advice I would be very very grateful. I have basically spent all my saving with mechanics that didn't really know what they were doing. I know you all don't get paid to help people on this forum and I just want to say in advance that if there is anybody that can help me I would be very thankful. I am not a mechanic but know some basics.

Desperate HillBilly from Arkansas.

Madtiger

Old 01-30-2012, 10:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Are you sure you're not out of gas? Mine was running great, but due to a defective fuel changeover valve and return valves not working properly, I ran out of gas in one tank and the car wouldn't start or drive. Seems like it's a possibility since the mechanic did mess with the gas tanks.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:12 PM
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,783 Posts

Well, let's begin with the basics. Does the vehicle have spark and is fuel being supplied to the injectors?

You can easily tell by removing the number 6 spark plug (the one closest to the front of the car) and cranking the engine with the removed spark plug connected to its wire and grounded on the engine. If there is no spark, you may have a problem with the distributor pickup coil and igniter assembly. Unfortunately, if the distributor shaft is worn and the reluctor goes out it takes the igniter with it in most instances.

If there is spark, do you smell fuel being supplied to the open cylinder? If not, loosen one of the injector hoses at the rail and see if fuel seeps out. No fuel present may indicate a non-functioning fuel pump or blocked fuel filter.

NBCat

Old 01-31-2012, 01:28 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok guys, This gives me a place to start. I am sure its not out of gas because I put gas in both tanks. But I will have to wait for a weekend when my friend can come help me look at the things you guys suggested. I am not a mechanic at all and don't have any tools...but my friend does. We are just having bad weather right now but at least now I have a place to begin. Thank you very much for replying to my post for help. It may be a few weeks before he can come over and help me with this because he lives a few cities away from me. I really appreciate your help on this.

Originally Posted by NBCat
Well, let's begin with the basics. Does the vehicle have spark and is fuel being supplied to the injectors?

You can easily tell by removing the number 6 spark plug (the one closest to the front of the car) and cranking the engine with the removed spark plug connected to its wire and grounded on the engine. If there is no spark, you may have a problem with the distributor pickup coil and igniter assembly. Unfortunately, if the distributor shaft is worn and the reluctor goes out it takes the igniter with it in most instances.

If there is spark, do you smell fuel being supplied to the open cylinder? If not, loosen one of the injector hoses at the rail and see if fuel seeps out. No fuel present may indicate a non-functioning fuel pump or blocked fuel filter.

NBCat

Old 01-31-2012, 06:53 AM
Received 10,286 Likes on 6,807 Posts

I agree with NBcat.

I reckon the fact you drove so far, so sweet, then issues, the fuel filter is blocked, VERY COMMON with water contamination.

The tanks "should" have a drain plug in the bottom, so CAREFULLY remove them and drain off the contamination, and that will tell you what exactly is in there. Once that is known more assistance can be given to remedy the issue.

PLEASE BE CAREFUL, AS FUEL WILL BE SPILT AND BBQ JAG IS HORRIBLE.

The fuel filter is in the boot (trunk) alongside the spare wheel, and simple to replace and cheap enough from any Auto parts outfit.