XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1988 Jaguar Vanden Plas V12 sold at auction.

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 09:38 AM
Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts
Default 1988 Jaguar Vanden Plas V12 sold at auction.

So, are any of you the lucky owner of this 88 Vanden Plas?

1988 JAGUAR XJ 12 Lot 1 | Barrett-Jackson Auction Company

Just based on appearances, it looks like someone got a good deal. I saw the auction listing and looked into the process of getting registered as an absentee bidder. Unfortunately work and schedule got in the way and wasn't able to get registered in time. I googled the VIN to see if someone might have bought it to flip it. It was just added to XJ6data.com

The following users liked this post:
fredd60 (04-10-2013)
Old 04-09-2013, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,359 Likes on 790 Posts

Wow sweet deal for the buyer. This is another reason why its OK to do the Chevy conversion. Even a rare model Series 3 in amazing condition is worth very little so the diminished value argument is...diminished.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:34 AM
Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts
Default v12 auction

That is a very nice series3. The paint looks great; in Oz we don't get much rust, but the sun kills paintwork. $3850 was a steal. I could live with 15 MPG at that purchase price :-)

Old 04-10-2013, 07:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Looks decent enough in the pics, despite the grossly mis-located leaper :-)

These were great cars. Hard to find in the USA. Assuming there wasn't any rust (always a risk on cars down from Canada, as this one almost certaily was) I would've gladly snapped it up at that price.

Cheers
DD

Old 04-10-2013, 07:54 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Doug
Assuming there wasn't any rust (always a risk on cars down from Canada, as this one almost certaily was) I would've gladly snapped it up at that price.

Duh. Silly me. The text of the listing states outright that it was a Canadian car!

Cheers
DD

Old 04-10-2013, 08:07 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by icsamerica
Wow sweet deal for the buyer. This is another reason why its OK to do the Chevy conversion. Even a rare model Series 3 in amazing condition is worth very little so the diminished value argument is...diminished.

I agree. The value is very low on Ser IIIs. On rare occassions you'll see an exceptional car bring big money...but those are exceptions. The car in question is far from "amazing" condition. I think "good/average" is more like it.

That said, the $3850 for this car is bit on the low side, IMHO. The car might have some issues that we don't see and/or the right people were not there to bid.

Cheers
DD

Old 04-10-2013, 07:22 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Almost everyone says I overpaid for my 1987 VDP car 15,000 miles for 11,000. The ones that agreed it was worth it were a few from Jag lovers that have had a few xj's in the past. This was my second xj6, the first was a basket case and after 4,000 initially spent - suspension failure 1,700, semi cracked dash, headliner, oil pressure, oil leaks every where, tranny leak, areal no go, no cruise, cowbell sound - lots hidden rust - no way of saving it. From the outside though the car looked pretty all the rest, Bad, bad, bad!

I was determined next time to buy the best Jag I could afford. Best move I ever made period. Doug, if I remember correct, you helped me with my decision along with Dr. A. To this day I owe you a big "THANK YOU" for the advice! My wife and I enjoy this car so much, we will be showing it this year fro the 1st time. The car now has 17,200 after 5 years.

Back to the subject. I do belive though once someone gets their car to where mine is they will have spent equal or more money ( I may be wrong but my exp. so far says I am not ). They also have the "fun" of fixing it which I don't.

Lastly, I just bought a Florida 98 xj8 VDP 44,000 miles 10,500.00 Not a spec of rust, maybe I paid over what I should but rust not being an issue and low miles sure has its peace of mind!

Last edited by Brettl; 04-10-2013 at 07:29 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 565 Likes on 353 Posts

Everyone not on this site is paying $11K for a used [insert generic front-wheel-drive automotive appliance]. All in all, $11K isn't a lot of money for a decent car. Let's just keep these low Jaguar prices our little secret. Bless those not in the know for keeping the greater economy rolling.

The following users liked this post:
Doug (04-12-2013)
Old 04-12-2013, 08:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 565 Likes on 353 Posts
Old 04-12-2013, 09:39 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Brettl
Back to the subject. I do belive though once someone gets their car to where mine is they will have spent equal or more money ( I may be wrong but my exp. so far says I am not ).

Yup! Taking an average/good condition Ser III up to *mint condition* standards can be extremely expensive. Paint, chrome, leather....very costly.

I know of at least one person who $5000 returning his V12 *engine bay* to showroom condition.

Cheers
DD

Old 04-15-2013, 11:27 AM
Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Mkii250

I didn't see the link in time before the car sold I guess. Was it the same car from the auction, or just another Series III V12?

Old 04-17-2013, 01:49 PM
jjd
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Wow jags really get strong money in the states.here in Ireland once a car is over 2 litre it loses its value at an astonishing rate.x300s and x308s are worth 1500euro max pretty much regardless of spec and model. Series 3 fair a little better but not much. it is due to extortionate road tax and high fuel costs.

Old 10-19-2013, 08:14 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question I am the Daughter of 1988 Jag VDP :-)

Hi! I have no idea how to navigate this forum (and my time is limited, I've got to get some sleep - I've been up for over 2 days with a total of 5 hours of naps.. I have a business, that might explain it. ;-)

I found this thread and so am here seeking some wisdom from you 1988 Vanden Plas knowledgeable members. I need some guidance on how to match a beautiful VDP up with a new loving owner. It's my Mom's car and she really wants her beloved Jag is in good hands with someone who will love and appreciate it as she has. I have it listed on Craigslist, but I'm not so sure that is the best place to find someone who recognizes the gem that this car is. (that's the car in my sig and avatar)

As fellow Jag VDP aficionados, you can appreciate this was a really tough decision for her, she loves her Jag! But Mom is now 82 years young (& still feisty!) and she has SHRUNK! She was finding the VDP very difficult to handle, uncomfortable and she doesn't have good visibility driving it. It's also very painful for her getting out of the car due to terrible arthritis in her knees. She was barely driving the car. She drives her Lexus SUV which is high. Family members would take the Jag for an "exercise drive" a few times a year.

It's criminal to let such a beautiful car that runs perfectly sit forever in the garage on a trickle charge for it's battery looking like it's on Jaguar life support. So Mom finally relented and decided it belongs with someone who will love it and use it.

I hope it's ok to post this in here, is there a 1988 Jaguar Vanden Plas section on the forum? I found this thread through a Google search!

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions.

Old 10-19-2013, 06:33 PM
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Just because it's popular, doesn't make it right.
There is a level below diminished - worthless.

Old 10-20-2013, 04:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,359 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by Napoleon Solo
Just because it's popular, doesn't make it right.
Just because you and a few others disapprove doesn't mean it's wrong.

Originally Posted by Napoleon Solo
There is a level below diminished - worthless.
Maybe worthless to you. Good conversions sell for more than an all original car now. Have a look at this action linked below. Here's a high mileage car with a conversion selling for double what the OP V12 car sold.
Jaguar XJ6 VDP | eBay

Old 10-21-2013, 12:04 AM

Just because you and a few others disapprove doesn't mean it's wrong.
Maybe worthless to you. Good conversions sell for more than an all original car now. Have a look at this action linked below. Here's a high mileage car with a conversion selling for double what the OP V12 car sold.
Jaguar XJ6 VDP | eBay

There are a lot more than just a few people who believe a Jaguar should stay all Jaguar. Admittedly being a purist like I am there isn't much room for a grey area. I will cede that if an engine transplant will keep another classic car out of the boneyard I'm all for it.

There will always be a market for converted cars. Sure some will go for higher figures - there are those like yourself that see the transplant as a huge benefit and remember the old series cars as unreliable.

My brother in law is not really a car guy. He's gone environmental and drives 2 electric cars - a Tesla S and a Leaf for his wife. He's owned M3's and 911's. He told me once he'd like to buy a classic Porsche or something and convert it to electric. I told him I'd rather see classic cars in a museum over seeing them whizzing silently by.
That's just how I'm wired. ( no pun intended..)

Extending the olive branch to the conversionists....

Solo out.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Tis a mixed bag. To me, the value of my cars is unimportant, unless it is time to sell them. It is utility for one of my cars along with some pleasure. That is my 94 Jeep Grand Cherokee. A fair amount of bells and whistles. Four wheel drive if I ever need it.
Seats four, five if very friendly, so as SUV's go, it is a medium size. Modest power, old AMC based six. Well tuned for most driving conditions. With rear seat folded, a decent cargo space. Barely adequate with rear seats up. Still clean, shiny and tight at 200K and counting. Value on the open market is miniscule. but, so what, it isn't for sale.

The Jaguar handles errands just fine, Seats five if the three rear passengers are friendly. Adequate boot space. Still fairly tight, is shiny at age thirty. Probably paid a bit much at 4 thousand in 2001. Ran well, very clean. Then came the major engine collapse. I shopped engine replacement. Wow. it was 115k at the time. Trans goes next? Found low mileage engine trans package 2500. A little over 1K for a "complete" kit to convert. Budget vanished during conversion. What is it worth? On the market, 3 or 4 K? I dunno. To me, it is unimportant. One of my favorites of all the many cars I have owned and driven over the past 65 years. Not only is it a ball to drive but an immense satisfaction of making it run and doing it so well. It ain't for sale.

Now, musing, if I had a choice of a nice original Jaguar with well over a hundred K and a properly converted one, and the asking prices were similar I'd take the latter.

OTH, I was quite pleased on purchase of my car as powered by the OHC 4.2. Adequate power. Cooling system not up to CA central valley temperatures!!!
Around here Ok most of the year. Late wife loved her Jaguar. Chaufer driven nonetheless!!

Muse over.

Carl

Old 10-21-2013, 10:02 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was talking with my friend Andy Reis about conversions and many other cars etc (he writes for Classic Motorsports mag in their auction column). Though not our thing, conversions have their place without a doubt. The good thing is that as fewer and fewer cars have their original style powerplants, the value of ones that do will go up somewhat. We also believe that the XJ6 is very undervalued right now. As well as all the other variants of the S1-3 body styles.

I'd love a V12 powered car. Problem is, I want the S3 E Type, XJS, XJC with a V12...

However, I also can do almost all the work myself on these cars and I enjoy doing so. Plus I have a few connections so paint etc is not as painful to pay for.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by mikecyc72austin
I was talking with my friend Andy Reis about conversions and many other cars etc (he writes for Classic Motorsports mag in their auction column). Though not our thing, conversions have their place without a doubt. The good thing is that as fewer and fewer cars have their original style powerplants, the value of ones that do will go up somewhat. We also believe that the XJ6 is very undervalued right now. As well as all the other variants of the S1-3 body styles.

I'd love a V12 powered car. Problem is, I want the S3 E Type, XJS, XJC with a V12...

However, I also can do almost all the work myself on these cars and I enjoy doing so. Plus I have a few connections so paint etc is not as painful to pay for.
This pretty much the way I see it too. Some preserve, some modify. The preserved series 1-2-3 cars will definitely grow in value because they may be made a rarity in North America. Funny, though - I turned down a 1991 V12 XJS convertible for $5k but the V12's just look rather daunting to service.
Have any of you looked at xj prices elsewhere? carandclassic.uk - lots of original stuff, 2 or 3 times what you'd pay for the N.Am cars.

Old 10-22-2013, 12:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Yup.

My neighbor just bought an ultraclean 04 Cadillac sedan deVille for 1200. Impeccable service records. Lady had to give up her jewel as she could no longer pass her driving test. As a FWD it isn't Cadillac's best effort and the engine had it's issues. but this one is just fine. Although he intended to flip it, it is still there, kinda likes it!!

Some years ago, I had an opportunity to get a somewhat similar car. Not near so clean, but 700 would've bought it Asking was 9! Just didn't appeal to me. Bought the Jeep instead. My late wife said OK at first, then not so OK, Ride not as good as the Jaguar. But, she grew to like it for it's utility and utter reliability.

The Jeep and the Jaguar may well be my last cars. so, I might as well enjoy them.

Rule 1. You gotta like the thing, whatever it is for whatever reason. if you don't it is misery.

Carl

Quick Reply: 1988 Jaguar Vanden Plas V12 sold at auction.