XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1988 Xj6 Performance mode switch found hiding under shifter unplugged!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2018, 05:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1988 Xj6 Performance mode switch found hiding under shifter unplugged!!!

Hello everyone! Im a proud owner of a 1988 XJ6. I bought Jaguar from an old man who stored it 8 years. I also bought an donor 89 XJ6 from same guy for $1000 for both cars. Not shure if i did well. Anyway, i started to swap engine parts from donor car to the other. Just parts that i could see what were too far gone that i knew where good on donor car. The whole interior was swaped for nice tan color interior. There were a few detail interior pieces i had to look for on ebay. Ive replaced the alternator, spark plugs and cables, battery, oil change, and new tires. She ran well until i noticed engine oil turning light brown. I was slowly gonna work my way to replace the head gasket but i also was in the process of putting in a starter. I ended up taking her to a mechanic for being to overwhelmed at all these things i had to do. He ended up charging me 2000$ to make entire vehicle mechanically reliable. It seemed fair to me so i gave him the green light. Ive been going to the mechanic to work on other interior problems i had going on while my car sits in his parking lot waiting to get worked on. Today i was removing old tape player out of car and i noticed a switch that had a few wires cut off hidding under shifter. I believe its the sport mode switch or something of that nature.its been bugging me as to where this goes wired into. Ill post pics asap. If anyone has any knowledge about this and how it works i would appreciate it if you can guide me in the right direccion to find out more about this switch and where it goes wired. Thank you.

XJAdrian

Old 07-28-2018, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Xj6Adrian
Hello everyone! Im a proud owner of a 1988 XJ6. I bought Jaguar from an old man who stored it 8 years. I also bought an donor 89 XJ6 from same guy for $1000 for both cars. Not shure if i did well. Anyway, i started to swap engine parts from donor car to the other. Just parts that i could see what were too far gone that i knew where good on donor car. The whole interior was swaped for nice tan color interior. There were a few detail interior pieces i had to look for on ebay. Ive replaced the alternator, spark plugs and cables, battery, oil change, and new tires. She ran well until i noticed engine oil turning light brown. I was slowly gonna work my way to replace the head gasket but i also was in the process of putting in a starter. I ended up taking her to a mechanic for being to overwhelmed at all these things i had to do. He ended up charging me 2000$ to make entire vehicle mechanically reliable. It seemed fair to me so i gave him the green light. Ive been going to the mechanic to work on other interior problems i had going on while my car sits in his parking lot waiting to get worked on. Today i was removing old tape player out of car and i noticed a switch that had a few wires cut off hidding under shifter. I believe its the sport mode switch or something of that nature.its been bugging me as to where this goes wired into. Ill post pics asap. If anyone has any knowledge about this and how it works i would appreciate it if you can guide me in the right direccion to find out more about this switch and where it goes wired. Thank you.

XJAdrian

Old 07-28-2018, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Xj6Adrian
does anyone know if this switch even belongs in th 88 xj6? Im asking because previous owner had the 88 i now own and also an 89 xj6. He was also swapping interior parts before i ended up with it and im wondering if he accidentally left switch under shifter because it wouldnt fit the 88. Instead of putting it back in the 89. I apologize if i did not make any sense lol. Any input would be appreciated...

Old 07-28-2018, 05:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,425 Likes on 1,826 Posts

I think you have a XJ-40, not a Series 1, 2, or 3 XJ-6.

1987 was the last year for the XJ-6 Series 3 in the USA. In 1988 the XJ-40 made its debut in the USA. (un-oficially referred to as the Series 4).

you might ask in the XJ-40 forum. { Unless you have a 1988 XJ V12 (12 cylinder), which kept using the Series 3 body until 1992 but only in 12 cylinders}.

Otherwise, the switch looks aftermarket, maybe a "kill switch".