XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

77XJ Paint and leather

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 02:11 PM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default 77XJ Paint and leather

Light cream color. Near white. What was the original paint? Not the code but the type. Assuming single stage urethane but I am not sure.

I tried the rubbing compound trick but was not convinced I was seeing paint or the compound that looked white-ish on the rag.

Also, seats are decent but a bit parched. Using a leather restoration product. Bottoms of all seats suck it up. Center of front backs suck it up but the perimeter around the insert beads up as if it is vinyl. Back bench seat the entire back portion beads.

Is it a mix and match? Some leather, some vinyl?

Last edited by Bob Kontak; 10-12-2015 at 02:22 PM.
Old 10-12-2015, 03:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,425 Likes on 1,826 Posts

the leather issue:

only the top of the seat and back are leather, the rest is vinyl.

the paint color name:

Old English White, otherwise I have no idea what the paint type is.

The following users liked this post:
Bob Kontak (10-13-2015)
Old 10-13-2015, 12:56 PM

Many thanks on the leather. Now I know where to focus.

Old 10-13-2015, 01:12 PM

BASF paint jobber just said the original paint is Glasurit but he is not sure if is it is urethane enamel/hardener or regular enamel.

Neither of these is clear-coated in routine applications.

I have another source for double checking. If I can confirm, I will post.

Old 10-13-2015, 01:46 PM
Veteran Member

there was another thread recently on the issue of the leather, and some of us think replacing it with leather-like vinyl material is more cost-effective and longer lasting than actual leather.

too much cost involved to replace the top seating areas and paying again for vinyl that is essentially in perfect condition. Vinyl wears better.

Old 10-13-2015, 02:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,931 Likes on 5,283 Posts

Originally Posted by Jose
[...]Vinyl wears better.
It does, actually! I recently sold one of the cars I drove the wheels off of, which had high quality Vinyl seats, still in good condition in spite of over 200,000 miles and 20 years of various hind ends sliding in and out. No special care needed either, just a damp cloth now and then.

Nix, however, the only car I ever owned with leather, has only 78,000 miles since restoration to all leather, and the driver seat was showing stress and strain when she came to live with me. I've made sure it was clean and free of any grit that might wear away the plastic coating, but it's still obviously a driver's seat.

I cover it with a sun reflecting sheet when it's outside, parked at a store for example, and keep the back seat always covered unless I'm showing her off.

I've begun to think Leather Upholstery is a Sacred Cow (pun intended) intended to part the unsuspecting and unwary from their hard earned.
(';')

Old 10-13-2015, 03:10 PM
Veteran Member

I think it is the smell of leather that people like. It smells like a saddle, it reminds us subconciously of when we rode horses instead of cars. Deja Vu.

if I can get an upholstery shop to just replace the leather areas of my XJ-6 front seats at a low cost, I might do that.

Back around 1975 my 1969 MG-B black leather seats had dried and cracked, I had them replaced with vinyl too. The below picture is my MG-B in 1971.

Attached Thumbnails 77XJ Paint and leather-mg-b-jose-1971.jpg  
Old 10-13-2015, 06:54 PM

I think it is the smell of leather that people like. It smells like a saddle, it reminds us subconciously of when we rode horses instead of cars. Deja Vu.
Agree. I does smell nice.

Interesting factoid: Dash board was derived from horse and buggy days. When the horse would take off in a dash there was a board in place to protect the occupants from mud being slung.

Thanks for the help and information.

Old 10-14-2015, 10:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

I've enjoyed the benefits of each.

1. Dash board. Horses did other things than toss up mud and dirt on troptting or running!!!

2. As a kid, in West Texas, I rode. First a real bada... Gelded donkey with an awful temper. I don't really blame him. although, my left knee still remembers him. He lad down and rolled on it!!! Next came "Plug", a 25 year old cow pony. Dad found him. Get rid of that d.... #X*&@@. No longer fast, but hang on, he could jump, cut and squat. Then, "Dusty", a green broke Dapple grey mustang filly. Fast and feisty....

Some vinyls are far better than others.

I built a console and "cubby" for my Scout II. I had a patch of real leather, It
was one of my better projects.

I've 'worked" leather as a hobby. Fun. Somewhere in my "stash", I've a kit for a belt and holster. Now for a Colt single action .44 to fit it!!!

Carl

The following users liked this post:
Bob Kontak (10-14-2015)
Old 10-14-2015, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member

Oh, and a belt that I tooled as therapy. Real silver buckle. Done at about age 22. will it fit now? Not by along shot.

I just might take it up again. Simple tools....

Carl

Old 10-14-2015, 10:57 AM

I posted the same paint question to the Porsche forum I hang out in. One of the resident gurus clarified that the 77XJ would have been painted with acrylic enamel with a hardener. I did not ask about metallic colors. Those usually get a clear coat.

Here's the thread.

1977 Jaguar XJ12 paint type - Pelican Parts Technical BBS

Old 10-16-2015, 05:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,423 Likes on 1,936 Posts

As a '77, I think it is pre-TPA, to which you should say a heartfelt "thank goodness" because that paint was probably the worst stuff Jaguar ever put on a car. If it is white it should be Old English White, which is a creamy white, and much used by British Leyland, the owners of Jaguar at the time. a later white could be Tudor White which was a bit "whiter"

Old 10-16-2015, 07:22 PM
Received 3,803 Likes on 2,783 Posts

I agree with Old English White ....here's the colour on my 74'...

Attached Thumbnails 77XJ Paint and leather-image.jpeg  
Old 10-17-2015, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
As a '77, I think it is pre-TPA, to which you should say a heartfelt "thank goodness" because that paint was probably the worst stuff Jaguar ever put on a car.
That's a bit of good news.

I am not totally convinced it's Glasurit, but the paint is very tough. Doubt it is the lesser quality paint you mention. Thanks for the TPA term because I can use that to hook onto Google info which should allow me to back into the 77 paint type.

Originally Posted by Daf11e
I agree with Old English White ....here's the colour on my 74'...
That is it. Beautiful color.

I like you burgundy interior. My pal's 77 has dark blue and given the 27 years I have known this car, it's nice to see a change.

Old 10-17-2015, 02:08 PM

the leather issue:

only the top of the seat and back are leather, the rest is vinyl.
Update. The leather restore product is soaking in the top of the rear back seat. I think where the sun has hit takes some of the original dyes resiliency away. Backs of seat dye is tough to bust through. I may try a heat gun from a foot away to see if it makes a difference.

Not an expert on this, but I have noticed after three applications of the stuff, it wicks into the leather much quicker on the bottom of the seats. It must be liking it.

Old 10-18-2015, 08:03 AM
Received 192 Likes on 169 Posts

Try a good leather cleaner first. Take the time to work into the grime thoroughly. Remember that the leather surface is effectively a "paint" and may need to be deglazed/ thoroughly cleaned. Some leather restoration products actually suggest a fine wet and dry paper. See FAQ on Leather | Leather Care & RESTORATION with Leatherique

Then feed and then dye.

On my xjs seats which were in very poor condition and stained I actually resorted to using G101 (and some solvent for the stained areas) as I had nothing to lose. After the feeding and dyeing they came out like new, well almost. I used the Gliptone products which are very good.

Last edited by anjum; 10-18-2015 at 08:05 AM.
Old 10-18-2015, 11:52 AM
Veteran Member

Thermoplastic. A slick name. I'm not sure of the chemistry and technique involved.
and, yes, it seems to have a bad reputation. But, most of the USA factory efforts
at "clear coats" did poorly as well. I know, my 69 Chrysler and 88 T'bird
suffered from sun burn! Compound and polish worked on the Chrysler, but not at all on the T'bird!!!

In 2001 I was attracted by the color combination of my 83 XJ6.
Grosvenor brown and doeskin interior. Truly striking as it was well detailed.

As far as I can tell, it was never repainted. Shines really well. Wax and polish plus high carnauba wax really gleam. Only a couple of not so shiny spots. On the bonnet. Over the area where the DOHC exhaust was. I'll work it some more.

At the store the other day, A lady's older MBZ was parked alongside. Our ages also well along the way.... Hers was a 78 coupe. Great condition and really noisy exhaust. We exchanged admiration..... Olds cars, old folks still churning....

Carl.