XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

79 xj6 no start

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 09:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 79 xj6 no start

the car is a 79 xj6 series II! I am basing this off of information i found on the web, it has a January 1979 build date. The concern with it is a cranks/no start.

My first finding in diagnosis was that the fuel pump was not running. Did some tests that justified removing the pump, bench tested it and found that it was locked up.

Now a little background on the car, I just bought it, and the previous owner only put about 10,000miles on it over the past 32 years. It was not started in the past 3 from today. When I disconnected the fuel lines, they were all dry.

So I tried to unsieze the fuel pump (unsuccessful), then rigged up an in tank pump in a fuel can (and the return line) and tried starting it again. Still didn't even sputter.

I do have spark at the #1 spark plug, and i tried just a touch of starting fluid and it did start momentarily on that. I do have power at the injectors, but not sure if they are being grounded by the ECU properly or if they are siezed like the fuel pump is.

Im not asking for what parts I should replace. I am asking for what diagnostic tests i can do to isolate the cause of the problem. I have alot of tools and equipment at my disposal, just am unfamiliar with early fuel injection systems and how to test the different components.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations. please reply to this post or email me at hotrod5665@yahoo.com

Old 07-11-2017, 09:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,359 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by 79xj6l
Im not asking for what parts I should replace. I am asking for what diagnostic tests i can do to isolate the cause of the problem. I have alot of tools and equipment at my disposal, just am unfamiliar with early fuel injection systems and how to test the different components.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations. please reply to this post or email me at hotrod5665@yahoo.com
Basics,

Check fuel pressure when cranking. Should be about 40 PSI. If you have no fuel pressure check for 12V at the pump. If no 12V at the pump check the fuses and the fuel cut off sensor.

- There is a safety sensor that is tripped by a jolt on the passenger side door. This has a button on the top to reset and is designed to cut off fuel in an accident.

Get a Noid lamp to visually see if the injectors are being fired.

Amazon Amazon

I just use 2 old LED from a PC I dissembled years ago. With LED polarity matters so I just use 2 each with flipped polarity, 1 will flash.

Do a compression test. At this point many of these engine have failed head gaskets or cracked blocks. Ensure it's mechanically good before you get in too deep.