XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'86 XJ Brake Pad Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 08:17 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default '86 XJ Brake Pad Recommendation

Hi, is there a recommended replacement pad, or , conversely, one or more to avoid? Also, discs.
I ran across Ferodo, Brembo, Centric, and several other replacement brake part names.
RR

Old 05-23-2013, 09:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Over my many years of Series III and XJS ownership (they used the same brakes at the time) I was happiest with Raybestos "RPG" pads. No noise, minimal dust, easy to modulate feel, moderate price.

My new favorite brake pads are "Akebono" but I don't think they offer pads for Ser IIIS/older XJSs.

On my Jags, MGs, and others I've used rotors/discs branded Raybestos, Brembo, Bendix, Lockheed, Wagner, Lucas, NAPA....never had any difficulties with any of them. I will say, though, that when "good, better, best" choices were given I never opted for the cheapest of any brand.

Others will chime in

Cheers
DD

The following 2 users liked this post by Doug:
1100me (07-22-2014), 85xj6iii (07-22-2014)
Old 05-23-2013, 09:12 AM
Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

I am pretty opinionated on rotors - I try to buy Brembo OE replacement rotors any time I possibly can. I don't have that many miles on my Jaguar yet, but for the past 7 or 8 years, I've always used Brembo rotors on my other cars. I live in a fast-paced, high traffic area (zero to 60 to zero to 60 to zero to 60 etc) so I'm hard on my brakes. I drive a lot of hilly areas as well. The regular OE rotors on my other cars just don't last. I replace them with Brembo rotors and never look back. I'm sure there are other good brands/lines out there, but I stick with Brembo because I know they work.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:21 PM
Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

Second the Akebonos. I put them on my wife's mustang and they stop just as good if not better than stock and have zero brake dust.

I use EBC red stuff on mine. I really like the Centric premium rotors. They are pretty cheap cost, mostly all machined surfaces and have a black rust proof coating on the area that the pad doesnt touch. The Mintex pads are fine but are pretty dusty if I recall correctly.

Last edited by 86jag; 06-03-2013 at 06:53 PM.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:25 AM
Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by 86jag
I use EBC red stuff of mine.
I tried EBC Redstuff pads on the rear of my car and they seem to be an improvement over the stock Mintex. They took at least a few hundred miles to properly bed in, even with a series of aggressive hard stops to get the process started. They were a little pricey, too, but I do think they make a difference. When I finish my suspension upgrade, I'm going to install them on the front of the car, too, probably with some SS brake hoses.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found the following matches on Amazon for 1985 xj6:

Raybestos PGD9M Professional Grade Semi-Metallic Disc Brake Pad Set
Raybestos PGD135M Professional Grade Semi-Metallic Disc Brake Pad Set
Raybestos SGD9M Service Grade Semi-Metallic Disc Brake Pad Set

Doug, Which one should I go with? Do you recommend a ceramic one instead?

Last edited by 85xj6iii; 07-22-2014 at 09:06 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by 85xj6iii
I found the following matches on Amazon for 1985 xj6:

Raybestos PGD9M Professional Grade Semi-Metallic Disc Brake Pad Set
Raybestos PGD135M Professional Grade Semi-Metallic Disc Brake Pad Set
Raybestos SGD9M Service Grade Semi-Metallic Disc Brake Pad Set

Doug, Which one should I go with? Do you recommend a ceramic one instead?

You want the "PG" series. The "SG Service Grade" pads are lower grade as I recall.

My experience with ceramic is limited to Akebono. I'm very happy with them but I don't know how other brands perform.

If you can get Akebono for your car (I don't think you can) then go for it!

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
85xj6iii (07-23-2014)
Old 03-18-2015, 02:36 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Executive summary,
I like Stoptek / Centric brake rotors and EBC green stuff or Centric carbon/ceramic pads. No dust that's right NO DUST - no joke, oh and, no fade, no squeak, and best of all cheap! I mean really cheap! XJS & XJ6 Centric drilled and slotted rotors, EBC pads, brake hose & hand brake & a couple of seals while it's a part, for... wait for it.... wait for it... $997.65 Oh, and I kept my cores

Full Story
I've got 3 kitty's
02 XJR-100 OE Brembo option
88 XJS 5.3 OE Brembo
86 XJ6 4.2 ummm... Keds (Gerhing) no literally Keds - Fred Flintstone car :/ Wind in your hair, and up your skirt

84 XJ6 4.2 Gerhing

In the 4 years I've owned the JXR, I've put 2 sets OE Brembo rotors on it - I'll never do it again. they're insanely expensive (hell I can get Willwood for less cash). They get wet (like in the Pacific Northwest) and warp Set No 1.

Left the parking brake on for a 1/2 a block, New that's right, NEW. OE brembo's warped again, Set No 2. When these big brakes warp, you feel like the wheels and doors are gonna come off!

Pissed doesn't even come close to sharing how I felt.

Okay, long story kinda short.... I put brakes on the XJS & the XJ6, well these two needed it, came off the HWY... foot to the floor, NO BRAKES. Yikes!!! Mr. Toads wild ride (friends of Disneyland)!!. Make it home in one piece. Brakes are in order - heavy car, drilled and slotted are a must.

Centric's drilled and slotted on all 4's, EBC green stuff pads for the XJS and Stoptek for the XJ6. This is the ticket! What a difference!!!

I've owned this car for XJS 25 years, and it's never stopped this good. I mean NEVER., Same story with the '96 Impala SS, 94 Sonoma Pickup, 86 XJ6 (well keds wear and fade real quick).

These Centric brakes provide an incredibly controlled stop, not like anything I've experienced; Standard XJS, braking is... I'm braking.. braking... locked up, wiggle wiggle, foot off the brake, wiggles back into shape, and back on the anchors.

Not so with these drilled and slotted rotors and carbon / ceramic pads. no brake fade, that's right no brake fade, a smoothly forceful hard stop almost like ABS (I said almost!), no lock up (granted I do have sticky rubber on the ground). Amazing! pedal modulation is accurate (like Keds but easier on the feet) no surprise lock ups - and for the money? Heavenly!!!!

My point is, I got 4 Centric drilled and slotted rotors, 4 Centric rebuilt calipers, a set of EBC Green Stuff pads (XJS) Centric Carbon ceramic (XJ6), all new flexible brake lines, misc shims, metal sticks & clips, other metal and rubber bits and seals while it's a part all for under $1,000.00 Try that with Brembo's!

Unfortunately they're aren't as many XJR brembo package cars, so Centric parts, are, well, either not listed or non existent one would think. So it's dimension shopping. I've sourced the fronts

Have more Jag's than money
Mark