XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'86 XJ6 AC Rebuild: Compressor Mount

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 08:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default '86 XJ6 AC Rebuild: Compressor Mount

Hi, anyone have any pics or diagrams which shows the arrangement of the AC compressor mounting? I want to be sure I get it right.
Of course a Haynes manual just makes you want a real manual.
I'm using the "modern replacement" for the GM A6: it's Chinese, a lot lighter than the old one, and supposedly has Denso internals. I want to see how it works out. It has mounting points in the same places as the GM compressor.

Interesting that my old compressor did not seem to have a superheat switch. I can tell that it is a replacement; however, I can find no harness connector which would have been for a switch if it had just been left off during a previous repair. Any comments?

Old 08-02-2013, 08:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

I can't find a pic of the mounting. The parts catalog (which every DIYer should have....for the illustrations if nothing else) might be your best bet.

The old A6 compressors were typcially sold with neither a superheat switch nor pressure switch install. The hole where either type of switch would go was had a plug held in with a snap ring. At a glance a first-timer might simply thing that their replacement compressor wasn't designed to accept a switch and just went ahead and installed it (the compressor) as-is, and abandoned (or outright removed) the associated wiring. Of course, the intent was that the plug be removed from the new compressor and the switch transferred from the old compressor.

But GM did have a few applications using the A6 where no compressor-mounted protection switch was used. In those cases a switch was installed on one of the a/c pipes instead.

I wonder if these new modern replacements are designed for a superheat switch or a pressure switch? Or neither?

There's a belief that "all A6 compressors are the same". Not quite true. There are three different end plates (for superheat switch, pressure switch, or no switch) at least a couple different pulley diameters, and with/without metric threads.

Cheers
DD

Old 08-02-2013, 10:59 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks a bunch!
The plug is in the old compressor, which is clearly labeled as a replacement at some time in the past; also the new compressor has provision for the switch (the plug you mentioned) but I cannot find a harness or anything to connect it to if I had the switch. In general, my car is not junked up and bears no marks of poor quality work or lack of care under the bonnet, so I am not certain what I need to do here.
The main questions I have about the compressor mounting: exactly how to get the belt tension adjuster right; and I have one small spacer sleeve which I have forgotten how to install (i.e. where it came off). I have the rest together. You are correct: the parts diagram would be a big help.
Regards,
RR

Old 08-05-2013, 08:55 AM
Received 53 Likes on 29 Posts

Here is the parts diagram attached. I'm afraid this is beyond my capacity to offer any experienced knowledge here other than to provide resources that can help. Best of luck!

Attached Files