Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

An addict needs help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 06:12 AM
Received 280 Likes on 176 Posts
Default An addict needs help!

Hello,

snooping over here from X308 forum, and asking for help from the wrong people most likely! (like having an AA meeting in the bar)

I owned three Jaguars in my life. 89 XJS, 98 X308, and 03 X308. As a commited DIY, I worked on all of them, and "figured them out". No challenge left on those.

Since I am without Jaguar for TWO weeks now, I am looking for a new challenge (and I have serious withdrawal symptoms!). Came upon two candidates,.....86 XJ6, and 87 XJ6. Both in BEAUTIFUL condition. One has 160 on the clock, and one has 179. The later was supposedly rebuilt, but no documentation is available. The other is a daily driver, and all original, sans the cheesy "modern" radio.

One is black, one is maroon. The black has (what I call) "whorehouse red" velour interior, and the maroon has the black leather (more to my liking). Since this is SoCal, and the cars are natives, there is no rust to worry about.

I haven't gone to drive them yet (both about 2 hours away), but I don't expect any issues (asked ALL the questions). But do I REALLY want to go that route? I know these cars are SIMPLE to DIY (compared to X308), but what kind of performance can I expect (I've never even drove one of these!)? I adore the vintage look, and I can see myself in one of them, but can I take off on a 1K miles trip, and not be the last dog on the freeway? I really am not concerned about maintenance and repair (I know where to get the parts, have fully equipped garage, machine shop, and an autoelectrical engineer as a friend). I am more concerned about performance, and driving pleasure.

I hope they are not some old clunkers, that can barely move! (joking)

I need someone to talk me out of it!

P.S. There is a third one on the horizon! 86 with 61K on the clock, but they want too much for it.

So WHAT would YOU do?

Old 03-07-2014, 06:48 AM
Received 10,313 Likes on 6,823 Posts

If you are as handy as I believe you are, worry not.

The "standard" catch up maintenance will be obviously mandatory.

As for performance, NO, not like the V8's, but more akin the classic Jag engine/car, as designed before technology built cars instead of humans. I also believe the classic Jags all have "soul". Something lacking in the "modern" cars.

I had all that kind of talk when I had the V12's. The like of "why so far from a dealer", and "you came from where in that??". We traversed the coast road of Australia twice in the '85 XJ-S, and apart from an idiot light oil switch rarely lifted the bonnet. That was a trip in excess of 15000kms each time. A lot of that road network is unsealed, so not the most pleasant for any car, and 50+c temps test all manner of components, especially the human component.

I could write a book on the dumb/stupid/crazy comments we got (maybe I should), but that Jag just kept on keeping on.

None of my Jags since 1968 has ever let me down, or as you say "been the last car on the freeway".

A DD would be a good starting point, but I would drive both for a good distance and get the feel of the beast/s.

Last edited by Grant Francis; 03-07-2014 at 06:49 AM. Reason: spelling still sucks
The following users liked this post:
danielsand (03-07-2014)
Old 03-07-2014, 07:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by danielsand

I adore the vintage look, and I can see myself in one of them, but can I take off on a 1K miles trip, and not be the last dog on the freeway?

No.

You might be the last dog getting onto the freeway but after that you can lead the way

I am more concerned about performance, and driving pleasure.

I hope they are not some old clunkers, that can barely move! (joking)

The Ser III XJ6, USA-spec, has 170 SAE net horspower, a 3-speed auto, a 2.88 differential, and weighs 4100 pounds empty. 'Performance' in terms of raw acceleration just isn't anything like a modern car. 0-60 mph in 11 seconds

Beyond that a good Ser III is dream to drive. Built like a tank and drives like velvet....and lots of olde world Jaguarish-ness. It's the most modern of all antique automobiles.

You might want to seek out a V12 version since you're concerned about oooomph. Hard to find a Ser III V12 in the USA, but they're out there. I have one in my garage

Oh, don't assume that California Ser IIIs will necessarily be 'no rust' cars. The notorious front/rear windscreen rust problem knows no state boundries!

I need someone to talk me out of it!

Heh heh, no ! They're great cars and great Jaguars. Just remember they're from a different era.

P.S. There is a third one on the horizon! 86 with 61K on the clock, but they want too much for it.

How much, 'too much'? If it's a really nice example it might be well worth the extra money.

So WHAT would YOU do?

I'll answer this way: this year I hope to be starting on my Ser III V12 project. When done, my X300 will be sold.

I drove a Ser III for many years and began yearning for another the same day I sold it off.

Cheers
DD

danielsand (03-07-2014)
Old 03-07-2014, 07:39 AM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

This is almost tempting me towards a Series III.

I lost the faith after serious rust on Series I's and II's and missed out on having a Series III before coming back to Jaguar with an XJ40.

I have a long history of destroying straight six Jaguar engines in my youth. They didn't take high miles at or near max the way the V8 does. I'd certainly be very tempted by a V12 ..........

Sufficient of my rambling. you're going to go and buy one of these two anyway!

Graham

danielsand (03-07-2014)
Old 03-07-2014, 07:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,359 Likes on 790 Posts
Default what Grant said...

Performance of the 6cyl car with the 3 speed auto was typical for the day. By todays standards they are leisurely at best. Properly operating brakes do perform well and hold up against contemporary vehicles.

A car like the XJ Series 1,2,3 will never be built again so you should own one. They have a distinct and now extinct feel of a true road car. For example... There are no compromises in the suspension to improve trunk space like you will find on a modern car. Troublesome areas include the rear inboard brakes, Engine, rust and just about everything else you can expect from a 40 year old machine. For the price of entry you should buy the best one you can find enjoy it for what it is. Or....buy a dog and rebuild it with a contemporary engine of your choice...for this you will need a shop and a year but it will certainly be a challenge either way.

Last edited by icsamerica; 03-07-2014 at 07:47 AM.
danielsand (03-07-2014)
Old 03-07-2014, 08:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

hi,
the Series 3 XJ-6 is not a "muscle car", it's a car designed for safely cruising at 80 or 90 mph on highways and also to corner positively at high speeds.

you can call it "Luxury Performance". It's also a quiet car overall, it has none of that annoying roar produced by V8 engines at speed. The idea of the XK engine was "refined power".

the ride is not like sitting on stone boulders, it was designed for comfort during long rides, though I think Jaguar failed at the front seats, since they really don't provide enough thigh support.

Overall, the Series 1, 2, and 3 XJ-6 were known as "Supercars", the first of their kind starting in 1968, then everybody started copying the XJ "experiment".

after all, "XJ" meant "Experimental Jaguar".

danielsand (03-07-2014)
Old 03-07-2014, 09:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 8,956 Likes on 5,298 Posts

Hello,

snooping over here from X308 forum, and asking for help from the wrong people most likely! (like having an AA meeting in the bar)

I owned three Jaguars in my life. 89 XJS, 98 X308, and 03 X308. As a committed DIY, I worked on all of them, and "figured them out". No challenge left on those.

Since I am without Jaguar for TWO weeks now, I am looking for a new challenge (and I have serious withdrawal symptoms!). Came upon two candidates,.....86 XJ6, and 87 XJ6. Both in BEAUTIFUL condition. One has 160 on the clock, and one has 179. The later was supposedly rebuilt, but no documentation is available. The other is a daily driver, and all original, sans the cheesy "modern" radio.

So WHAT would YOU do?

If you want a challenge you're considering cars that are entirely too new. Find something worthy of your DIY capabilities; Xj6 Series 2, for example, or even a Series 1. THERE would be challenge for you!
(';')

Old 03-07-2014, 03:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Well, I drove my 83 as a DOHC for a time in my business. Agree, not very fast off the line, but easily capable of freeway speeds.

Few mid eighties cars had a lot of HP!!

Mine is somewhat different now. Not the "hottest", but entirely capable.

And, of all the cars, I've owned or driven in my almost 70years of having a license, it ranks at up in the top few.

Carl

danielsand (03-07-2014)
Old 03-07-2014, 03:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

As one who had a Series 3 for 14 years, I can tell you that performance is "adequate", (for me, it gave that "Master of the Universe" feeling when pushing it), and above all, it has that "Magic Carpet" ride, never again seen on a Jaguar. This is because the engineers who developed it concentrated on refinement and really know what they were doing, and no computers to get in the way, either !!

However, the youngest car you can buy will date from 1986 for a straight six. The V12s carried on for a bit longer until 1992, in fact. I'm not sure if any of these later V12 went to the USA, so check. The V12 performance is much more than adequate, but this is a big lump of an engine and not many mechanics are up-to-speed on looking after one.

All of this was done on 205 or 215/70 VR15 tyres, by the way.

I have never owned a V12, as petrol here in the UK makes the cost prohibitive, but is affordable in the USA.

danielsand (03-07-2014)
Old 03-07-2014, 06:34 PM
Received 280 Likes on 176 Posts

Thank you all! Just what I thought, ......you made me wanting one even more!

Back to "longevity",........what's the mileage these sixes are capable off, before the mandatory rebuild? Someone suggested changing the engine for something different! I would never do something like that. I steer clear of any "conversions". There is plenty of them here in CA that people fitted with Chevy 350, or what not, but to me this is abomination.

The three contenders are: (in no order of preference)

1986 with "rebuilt" engine (no papers), showing 179K, clean, with "whorehouse" interior, for 4K USD

1986 with 61K original miles, clean/MINT and all original, with leather interior for 6700 USD

1987 with 160K original, clean, leather interior, "excellent condition" with cheesy radio, for 1900 USD!!!!

I was leaning toward the one for 4K, but the owner is some kid, and he's telling me stories (bullshit alarm is going off, big time!). The price is right,....about what a decent XJ6 is worth.

I am leery of the one for 1900 USD (there is NOTHING good on wheels that you can buy for this kind of pocket change). This is too cheap! Maybe someone is trying to unload a nightmare.

The one for 6700 USD might be an expensive shot in the dark. The guy is trying to sell it for quite some time, and no takers. IF I end up not liking it (for whatever reason), I'll have a hard time unloading it, and I'll be stuck with a "garage queen" (not driving it much,......and WHY someone who owned it since 1986 put only 61K on it!!?).

Quite a quandary, as you can see. Since I bought (and sold) thousands of cars in my lifetime (I know you are all questioning my statements now!! LOL But I owned two car dealerships in the 90s, and bought and sold cars for about ten years). I had VW, Saab, Subaru, Buick, and Isuzu (new car franchises), and attended MANY dealer auctions all over the country, buying used ones to fill the used side of the businesses. I know EVERYTHING about those marques (90s vintage), but Jaguar, RR, and Mercedes only as a hobby.

So I guess, I'll just go and see them all, and hopefully one will "sing to me". The problem? The sellers are alover CA, and I'll be driving in the horrendeous CA traffic all day tomorrow. Wife wants to go riding our horses on the mountain tomorrow,......I have to come up with a "plan"!

Thanks again for your responses.

EDIT: OMG!!

I was just reading my post, and it dawned on me!! I can buy TWO of them! Black with red velour, and maroon with black leather. Swap the interiors, give the maroon one to my darling, and have the "black on black"!! Two of them together would be 5900 USD,.....less than the one for 6700!!! What a marvelous idea,......but I might be sleeping on the couch for few nights,....might be worth it!!

Last edited by danielsand; 03-07-2014 at 06:48 PM.
bendougy (03-08-2014)
Old 03-07-2014, 06:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

IF the $6700 car (can the price be bargained a bit?) has ultra nice paint/interior and IF that is important to you then it might be a good buy. Cosmetic work is very expensive....thousands of dollars.

Excepting a major engine/trans failure mechanical repairs are cheap in comparison...with DIY labor

The 4.2 engine is rugged BUT head gasket failure is fairly common at 100k-125k miles

There's a buyers guide at the top of this section

Cheers
DD

Old 03-07-2014, 06:54 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would NEVER try to talk you out of buying one. I purchased my 86 VDP about a year ago and I am in love! I wasn't looking for one, had never owned one before, and don't even know anyone who owns one! When I saw this car, sat in this car, then drove this car....I was hooked. The car is in gorgeous original condition and maybe I got lucky, but is a real pleasure all the way around. I love to tinker so I have done my share of work on it but only for my own satisfaction, not out of necessity. Just finished re-installing the rear carriage after a total rebuild. The brakes were bad so why not do it right...do everything now and I probably won't have to worry about it again especially with the amount of driving I do with it. I plan to do a lot more now for sure. I will get my new headliner put in this weekend and then go cruising!!! Overall, I absolutely love this car...and I really don't know why. It isn't the most beautiful car on the road, doesn't have much power.....but it is an extremely comfortable cruiser and just plain cool to drive! I have owned a lot of cars and this one ranks close to the top. It sits in the garage while my wife's new Camaro is in the driveway! She doesn't even complain either!!! She loves it too! If I can't go cruising, at least I can step out in the garage and just stare at it!! So I say...go for it! You may not be as lucky as I was in needed repairs but they are pretty easy to work on and the effort you put in to keep it on the road is worth every minute!!

Old 03-07-2014, 10:30 PM
Veteran Member
Default Hey...easy on the converts....

Ahhh...the thrill of the hunt....As I see it...for your stated goals the low mileage 86 is the best bet. With all original and low mileage you will always be able to get your money back if you decide to sell at some point in the distant future. There are always more people looking for those than high mileage clapped out dogs no matter how well maintained.

AFAIC, There is nothing abominable about a well done conversion AJ6 or Chevy. You haven't owned one yet so you're not familiar with how these cars, in their original form, can leave you stranded at a moments notice. I certainly don't wish this on you but lets face it...It's a 40 year old Jag and they were infamous for leaving people for dead on the side of the road when new. I ask myself a few critical questions...Would I drive my Jag to a wedding dressed up and with my wife...with the original engine, no, left me stranded and embarrassed too many times. If my neighbor knocked on my door and said I've having chest pains and please take me to the hospital would I grab the Jag keys...no, left me stranded and embarrassed too many times. I would not hesitate to do those things with my conversion though, well maybe the hospital example I would hesitate...anyway...for that one its Escalade only. Would I spend more than the car's worth rebuilding an engine that could crack after the fact? No. For some, a conversion makes sense and is ideal. Please consider that if it wasn't for conversions more of these Jags would be crushed and one could argue that crushing is an abomination too.

Last edited by icsamerica; 03-07-2014 at 10:57 PM.
Old 03-08-2014, 05:34 AM
Received 10,313 Likes on 6,823 Posts

Just following up on Dougs info.

Our Sons '85 S3 4.2 Sov, purchased from original owner at 137000kms, was his DD for about 7 years, and at 274000kms, sold it on. General maintenance only, no big issues. From memory the fuel pump at 200k was the biggest $ he spent.

Our S2 V12 (Sir Arthur), is nudging 500000kms, and apart from 1 transmission (same son drag raced it the only time he borrowed it), still purrs along as built.

HOWEVER, things down here are different than UP there. We have heard of head gasket issues with the 6 cyl engine, but are few in our real world.

The V12's, weeeeeeell, they just keep going. Strong as a Ox, LUV the fuel, leak oil, sound like a Spitfire when starting (winding up), then are SILENT, and all our V12's only stopped when turned OFF.

Remember Jags statement of the times "Grace, Space, Pace".

Bugga, now I miss my V12's even more. Time for a JD, and a trip down memory lane.

Old 03-08-2014, 05:42 AM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Buy it, drive it and enjoy it.
I'm on the JD with you Grant, but thinking about my S1 xj6

Last edited by o1xjr; 03-08-2014 at 06:52 AM.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
IF the $6700 car (can the price be bargained a bit?) has ultra nice paint/interior and IF that is important to you then it might be a good buy. Cosmetic work is very expensive....thousands of dollars.

Excepting a major engine/trans failure mechanical repairs are cheap in comparison...with DIY labor

The 4.2 engine is rugged BUT head gasket failure is fairly common at 100k-125k miles

There's a buyers guide at the top of this section

Cheers
DD
I'm with Doug on this one, go look at the $6700 car definitely. 61k is not much for the age of the car. Converted to GBP (£), gives £4187, which is a lot for one of these unless it is in exceptional condition. Only when you see the car will you be able to assess condition; test drive an absolute must, as is service records, invoices etc. Where has car spent its life, as rust can be a big issue. You'll probably find rusting at the lower corners of the windshield. This is par for the course for all these cars, and to fix, (and you must fix it), involves windscreen removal to allow welding of new metal.

Old 03-08-2014, 07:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

never buy any car based on the odometer mileage. Speedometers and other gauges go bad and they can be changed, especially in the Series 3 XJ-6/12, it's a piece of cake to replace them. Buying an old car based on "odometer mileage" is a sure way to get burned. The overall condition of any car will tell you its mileage.

Raise the car on a lift, look at the underside, especially the exhaust system, look for rusted-through exhaust parts. Look for serious LEAKS, (with the understanding that all cars LEAK fluids).

TIP: XJ-6 exhaust parts were never WELDED at the factory, they were clamped together and sealed with a paste called "FIREGUM", (exhaust sealer). If you see any welded parts, then you'll know the exhaust has been repaired by some inexperienced muffler shop.

Contact your local Jaguar fan group, talk to people, ask for help in finding a nice-condition example or help with inspecting a car. Ask about experienced mechanics in your area.

Old 03-08-2014, 08:45 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jose
never buy any car based on the odometer mileage. Speedometers and other gauges go bad and they can be changed, especially in the Series 3 XJ-6/12, it's a piece of cake to replace them. Buying an old car based on "odometer mileage" is a sure way to get burned. The overall condition of any car will tell you its mileage.

Raise the car on a lift, look at the underside, especially the exhaust system, look for rusted-through exhaust parts. Look for serious LEAKS, (with the understanding that all cars LEAK fluids).

TIP: XJ-6 exhaust parts were never WELDED at the factory, they were clamped together and sealed with a paste called "FIREGUM", (exhaust sealer). If you see any welded parts, then you'll know the exhaust has been repaired by some inexperienced muffler shop.

Contact your local Jaguar fan group, talk to people, ask for help in finding a nice-condition example or help with inspecting a car. Ask about experienced mechanics in your area.

That is seriously good advise. Most people are trusting of others but As many have wisely said... Trust but verify.

Last edited by icsamerica; 03-08-2014 at 08:48 AM.
Jose (03-08-2014)
Old 03-08-2014, 12:34 PM
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

I would never do something like that. I steer clear of any "conversions". There is plenty of them here in CA that people fitted with Chevy 350, or what not, but to me this is abomination.

1986 with "rebuilt" engine (no papers), showing 179K, clean, with "whorehouse" interior, for 4K USD
Amen to that, brother.
Substitute 'whorehouse' with 'gentleman's club' - this is a Jaguar after all...

Old 03-08-2014, 03:48 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thank you all! Just what I thought, ......you made me wanting one even more!

Back to "longevity",........what's the mileage these sixes are capable off, before the mandatory rebuild? Someone suggested changing the engine for something different! I would never do something like that. I steer clear of any "conversions". There is plenty of them here in CA that people fitted with Chevy 350, or what not, but to me this is abomination.

The three contenders are: (in no order of preference)

1986 with 61K original miles, clean/MINT and all original, with leather interior for 6700 USD

1987 with 160K original, clean, leather interior, "excellent condition" with cheesy radio, for 1900 USD!!!!

I was leaning toward the one for 4K, but the owner is some kid, and he's telling me stories (bullshit alarm is going off, big time!). The price is right,....about what a decent XJ6 is worth.

I am leery of the one for 1900 USD (there is NOTHING good on wheels that you can buy for this kind of pocket change). This is too cheap! Maybe someone is trying to unload a nightmare.

The one for 6700 USD might be an expensive shot in the dark. The guy is trying to sell it for quite some time, and no takers. IF I end up not liking it (for whatever reason), I'll have a hard time unloading it, and I'll be stuck with a "garage queen" (not driving it much,......and WHY someone who owned it since 1986 put only 61K on it!!?).

Quite a quandary, as you can see. Since I bought (and sold) thousands of cars in my lifetime (I know you are all questioning my statements now!! LOL But I owned two car dealerships in the 90s, and bought and sold cars for about ten years). I had VW, Saab, Subaru, Buick, and Isuzu (new car franchises), and attended MANY dealer auctions all over the country, buying used ones to fill the used side of the businesses. I know EVERYTHING about those marques (90s vintage), but Jaguar, RR, and Mercedes only as a hobby.

So I guess, I'll just go and see them all, and hopefully one will "sing to me". The problem? The sellers are alover CA, and I'll be driving in the horrendeous CA traffic all day tomorrow. Wife wants to go riding our horses on the mountain tomorrow,......I have to come up with a "plan"!

Thanks again for your responses.

EDIT: OMG!!

I was just reading my post, and it dawned on me!! I can buy TWO of them! Black with red velour, and maroon with black leather. Swap the interiors, give the maroon one to my darling, and have the "black on black"!! Two of them together would be 5900 USD,.....less than the one for 6700!!! What a marvelous idea,......but I might be sleeping on the couch for few nights,....might be worth it!!
My wife wanted the horse after I bought the series 3. I am not the one in hospital get a plate put in my spine this morning. Least she can come home from hospital in style .just remember if you don't like the car you buy you can't eat it.��

Quick Reply: An addict needs help!